Computer password - the benefits

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
MalwareTips promotes the use of a login password, in particular, as protection against hackers. Could someone please explain to me the nature of this protection?

PS - On MT recommendation I recently began using a password but for some reason it started registering as incorrect when I tried to log on. No problem. A very easy hack overwrites the password. So a password gives zero protection if, for instance, someone steals your computer, or even has physical access to it.

Last edited:
I

illumination

When you leave your home, do you lock the door to your house? Knowing full well if someone wanted in bad enough they can just kick the door in or smash a window to get in, you do so hoping they will not want in bad enough to go through the extra trouble of having to force their way in. You would not just leave your door open and unlocked thinking why lock it if they can just do these things right?

Same concept. It is a deterrent.

Last edited by a moderator:

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I take your point but it doesn't seem much of a deterrent if it can be overwritten with a simple hack in a few minutes.

I'd also like to know what protection a password gives against remote hackers.This was the reason I was given for using a password. Any info appreciated.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
As you said if someone wanted access to an account there is a work around, no matter the difficulty there will always be a way. However, this is still a significant improvement from not having a password and allowing everyone to access everyone else's account.

Back to @illumination 's example of locked doors, would thieves rather rob a house with a locked door with some security measures like cisco and such and risk being caught, or rob a house with a broken door? Of course, the thieves would go for the one with ease of access because it's simply easier. With passwords and 2-factor authentications in MT, hackers would have a harder time breaking in.

Reactions: uninfected1

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Appreciate the replies. So does a password give protection against remote attacks as I was told?

orangenbaumblatt

Level 2
Verified
May 9, 2013
If you, for example enabled, the built in RDP server, you can only connect if you've set a password. So in my opinion it's safest to set a strong password or no password when looking at some Windows remote services.

D

Deleted member 178

I take your point but it doesn't seem much of a deterrent if it can be overwritten with a simple hack in a few minutes.

which hacks...? all the tricks you find on Google are easily countered.

Set a BIOS password, disable boot from external devices, install a secure login software, no hacks will works in few minutes...

I'd also like to know what protection a password gives against remote hackers.This was the reason I was given for using a password. Any info appreciated.

Networked machines are supposed to accessible from other machines, if you are behind a router, it is a network so any other machines managing to access this network could find your machine (unless some tweaks were done to hide it). Then would you allow those machines to access yours freely?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Prevents unauthorised use of your Windows account to other family members, friends and guests. It's the basic deterrent, as is setting up Touch ID/Fingerprint/PIN on your iPhone/Android.

Do you lock your car whilst unattended? (CyberCriminals can break-in to high-value cars and use a Jammer to prevent the GPS/Tracker). (A passer-by will see it's locked and walk away).

Appreciate the replies. So does a password give protection against remote attacks as I was told?
See above for the basic recommendation of setting Login Password Protection.
I am well aware that it can be bypassed with the correct toolkit, but would be interesting to provide a source, or quote, for the underlined text above.

Last edited:

uninfected1

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I am well aware that it can be bypassed with the correct toolkit, but would be interesting to provide a source, or quote, for the underlined text above.
Source: Umbra's post #44 of my config thread.

Regarding overwriting my password, I did this. Just needed the installation disc and took about 10 minutes.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@Umbra mentions attackers, not remote hackers. If you want to use no password, that's your decision. I have nothing else to convince you to lock your doors at night.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
It is an extra security measure to prevent someone from just sitting down and having their way with your computer.A very easy preventative measure.
Nothing is 100% secure but if you have a login password in place it is a deterrent.I don't want my kids going on snap chat or FB ,twiiter or wherever else they go on my PC.I highly doubt a family member is going to attempt to hack your login password. At work or anywhere else it is a deterrent because it takes time and nobody is going to risk getting caught.Thieves always go for the easy target.
For anything else such as a break in etc. they are just going to take the whole thing with them.
Many good analogies but if you lock your car most thieves are going to look for the one that isn't locked.
Most Security measures are not full proof but offer some degree of difficulty for the criminal.Really cannot be easier,just type in a Password or PIN.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.