ConfigureDefender utility for Windows 10

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
Thanks you very much for that info although most companies go by cloud that is a good alternative thank you. I'm wondering in the future for the next updated version of the configure utility could include those options? whoever the creator is....

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Thanks you very much for that info although most companies go by cloud that is a good alternative thank you. I'm wondering in the future for the next updated version of the configure utility could include those options? whoever the creator is....
I could do it, but it would not add anything to the security in the home environment - even when you would update the signatures every 5 minutes. Simply, the offline signatures are far behind cloud protection. Frequent signature updates can improve the detection only when the cloud delivered protection is disabled. This can happen in enterprises, for example, to keep trade secrets.

Last edited:

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
Andy it would be helpful for people that never update the product it can fall behind especially when you add it to a persons computer that never runs updates. It would be a good option (in my opinion) because windows defender does product upgrades every now and then...… At least give users the option to have it auto update every 1 or 2 hours... 5 minuets would be very excessive and impact the performance greatly. I'm aware that it may not increase the protection but at least ill know they are running the most up to date ( product version and definitions) even if they never run a windows update or restart the computer.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Bryan320,
I will check it. But, if I correctly remember, Windows Defender will download the new definitions even when you defer\disable Windows Updates. For example, there is a possibility in Windows Pro to defer Windows Updates (also security updates) and still, WD has fresh signatures. At this moment I have ver. 1.307.1467.0 in Windows Updates history and ver. 1.307.1514.0 in Windows Security Center. You can check it on your computer.
The frequency of making WD signature updates has no effect on WD upgrades.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I think Andy is correct. WD by default checks for updates every 24 hours whether you have windows update enabled or not. Andy, if you decide to add the update interval option in Configure Defender then it doesn't actually fit neither High or Max settings but maybe a separate option at the bottom of the program which is independent from the protection levels wouldn't be too bad. Many users don't know that WD update only once a day so they would be able to change the value directly from Configure Defender if they want to.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
WD signatures can be updated at any time:
  • from Windows Security Center:
    Virus & threat protection >> Virus & threat protection updates ---> Check for updates
  • by shortcut with command line
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c "cd %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender" && MpCmdRun.exe -SignatureUpdate

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The problem is that when the user is online, the frequent WD signature updates do not improve the security (or only very little in some cases), but can have a significant impact on the performance. Most users do not know it, so they tend to set frequent updates with a false sense of additional security and complain that WD causes slowdowns.
The minority of users could get advantage of it when they download something and go offline. But in this case, most of the advanced protection activated by ConfigureDefender is useless, because it depends on the WD cloud.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
That can depend on computer resources. On my computer, the WD signature updates consume 10% - 20% CPU, only slightly less than WD Quick Scan. Generally, I do not feel it and WD behaves well. But, on some computers, this can cause slowdowns.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
The problem is that when the user is online, the frequent WD signature updates do not improve the security (or only very little in some cases), but can have a significant impact on the performance. Most users do not know it, so they tend to set frequent updates with a false sense of additional security and complain that WD causes slowdowns.
The minority of users could get advantage of it when they download something and go offline. But in this case, most of the advanced protection activated by ConfigureDefender is useless, because it depends on the WD cloud.

I don't know how many times you've explained this, but clearly some people don't read threads. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is the bottom line:

WD signatures can be updated at any time:

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
I don't know how many times you've explained this, but clearly some people don't read threads. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is the bottom line:
I do spend my time reading threads I am still relatively new to the forums. Still learning some functions not always will the search option show a result.... I am however very familiar how security software works considering i'v been into this stuff for awhile. Since 2007 i have been testing malware since the age of 13. 26 now :)

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I do spend my time reading threads I am still relatively new to the forums. Still learning some functions not always will the search option show a result.... I am however very familiar how security software works considering i'v been into this stuff for awhile. Since 2007 i have been testing malware since the age of 13. 26 now :)
You are welcome.:)

Reactions: harlan4096

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
My laptop with a metered connection doesn't update WD signatures automatically (tested over a 3-day period), so I manually update signatures and run a quick scan once per day, mainly due to old habits from using Avast for many years.
I set updates to metered connection and disabled updates for 2 weeks to confirm if WD will automatically update signatures. The current signature version on my computer is 1.307.1571.0 .

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.