ConfigureDefender utility for Windows 10

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
These new features could be added as options in C_D? Thank you very much. Best regards.

1.jpg

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@Andy Ful ASR rule "Block executable files from running unless they meet a prevalence, age, or trusted list criterion" used to block this installer, librewolf.106.x.x when downloading a fresh release. Today, neither the download nor installation was blocked but the process, i.e. opening LibreWolf, was blocked.

This seems like new behavior by Defender, or at least I've never experienced this before that I can remember. Or, is it dependent on Defender Cloud Protection Level, i.e. High+/Block vs Default? Now I'm thinking it's the latter.

\Block Screenshot 2022-10-21 212854.png

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@Andy Ful ASR rule "Block executable files from running unless they meet a prevalence, age, or trusted list criterion" used to block this installer, librewolf.106.x.x when downloading a fresh release. Today, neither the download nor installation was blocked but the process, i.e. opening LibreWolf, was blocked.

This seems like new behavior by Defender, or at least I've never experienced this before that I can remember. Or, is it dependent on Defender Cloud Protection Level, i.e. High+/Block vs Default? Now I'm thinking it's the latter.
That is rare behavior, but it may be caused by a strange installation of LibreWolf. After the installation, the application executable, and most files have got a strange date 01.01.2010 ??? Furthermore, in the file properties, there is no info about the application details. So, the executable may look very suspicious. Let's wait one or two days, to see what will happen.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@Andy Ful The ASR rule "Block abuse of exploited vulnerable signed drivers" blocks KVRT.exe, whereas Core Isolation>MS Vulnerable Driver Blocklist does not, which suggests to me that the two protection mechanisms aren't identical. Any ideas as to the difference? 🤔

KVRT.exe is allowed to run - only the klmd.sys driver is blocked by the ASR rule. I am not sure if this driver is also on the Vulnerable Driver Blocklist. The drivers are distributed with several file names, so the driver's Authentihash would be required. I cannot test Core Isolation.
Anyway, I think that the ASR rule can be the best updated one.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
KVRT.exe is allowed to run - only the klmd.sys driver is blocked by the ASR rule.
Yes, but after the driver is blocked, the app crashes and cannot continue. OTOH, the driver isn't blocked and the app is able to run with built-in Vulnerable Driver Blocklist enabled. I'm trying to understand the difference between the the two protection methods.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@Andy Ful how to leave the Hard_Configurator settings more hardened or at maximum? is it possible? or only in the recommended settings?
Yes, it's possible to harden your OS further with the settings, either with one of the other built-in profiles or your own custom configuration. BTW, any questions about H_C should be posted in Hard_Configurator - Windows Hardening Configurator

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Yes, but after the driver is blocked, the app crashes and cannot continue. OTOH, the driver isn't blocked and the app is able to run with built-in Vulnerable Driver Blocklist enabled. I'm trying to understand the difference between the the two protection methods.
The Core Isolation would block the klmd.sys driver even if it had been already installed. If you enabled Core Isolation and the driver has been installed, then it is not on the Blocklist.
If I correctly recall the ASR rule will block the driver only on installation (the already installed drivers are not blocked).

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@Andy Ful In DefenderUI there is a option to disable "File hash computation" so I would like to know if that option is available in your ConfigureDefender utility.

No. It is disabled by default in Windows. It can be enabled via GPO, but at some performance cost.
ConfigureDefender is focused on real-time protection. This feature is related only to file scanning and does not have an impact on real-time protection.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@Andy Ful Look at the BD reacting to ConfigureDefender how funny. :LOL:
I contacted Bitdefender staff (several months ago) and explained to them that Bitdefender blocks PowerShell as a child process of ConfigureDefender. I suggested a solution but they did manage to remove the issue.
Anyway, running ConfigureDefender is not necessary when BitDefender is an active AV.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Yes, their Advanced Threat Protection is slightly dumb. But, it is not harmful and can be efficient anyway.
In some way they are right. Running ConfigureDefender is unwanted in this particular situation.:)

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Andy the name itself says it all ConfigureDefender, not ConfigureBitdefender. :)
The problem is slightly more complex when someone used Defender with ConfigureDefender, before using Bitdefender. Let's consider the situation when H_C is uninstalled for some reason when using Bitdefender. In this case, the uninstallation will fail to remove the advanced Defender settings (due to Bitdefender blocks). The user can be surprised after uninstalling Bitdefender because Defender will not work on default settings. This was my concern when I discussed the issue with the Bitdefender staff. :)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
@Andy Ful In DefenderUI there is a option to disable "File hash computation" so I would like to know if that option is available in your ConfigureDefender utility.
Just enter this in Terminal as administrator and restart the system to make MD log hash of detected malware:
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender" /v "ThreatFileHashLogging" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
You'll be able to see the hash in ConfigureDefender log. Andy added the option to log this event in the past when I asked for it as a feature request.
@Andy Ful Look at the BD reacting to ConfigureDefender how funny. :LOL:
Usually, anything that's not trusted/whitelisted by Bitdefender and tries to make changes to MD will get detected by Bitdefender. Generally, only malicious programs will try to tamper with MD's settings. So in that case, Bitdefender's approach is understandable. It's just unfortunate that it seems ConfigureDefender is not whitelisted by BD. But as Andy already said, a user doesn't need ConfigureDefender with a third-party AV installed. So it's not a big deal.

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
The problem is slightly more complex when someone used Defender with ConfigureDefender, before using Bitdefender.
Wow, that one suited me personally, I think Andy unknowingly lambasted me.:)
Let's consider the situation when H_C is uninstalled for some reason when using Bitdefender. In this case, the uninstallation will fail to remove the advanced Defender settings (due to Bitdefender blocks). The user can be surprised after uninstalling Bitdefender because Defender will not work on default settings. This was my concern when I discussed the issue with the Bitdefender staff. :)
This is why I registered here on MT, there are many experienced, veteran and intelligent people here. That's good to know, now I am prepared I created a backup image in Macrium and then installed RBX, just restore a snapshot or restore the image, thank you very much for clarifying on this, I hope people don't use ConfigureDefender with Bitdefender and with any other third party product it is just together with Microsoft Defender/Windows Defender just to reinforce Windows security and a hardening in MD settings.
It's just unfortunate that it seems ConfigureDefender is not whitelisted by BD.
Yes, I added all Windows folders and Hard_Configurator in exclusions in BD afterwards, and it still got blocked by Bitdefender. BD even created the generic name for threat, I won't post it because I know the tool so it is reliable new people can be thoughtful, I never want to tarnish anyone's reputation here. I will even apologize to Andy, because a picture can be worth a thousand words, good thing I did not post it, he knows my intention was not that.
But as Andy already said, a user doesn't need ConfigureDefender with a third-party AV installed. So it's not a big deal.
Yes, that's right, I removed the BD. What difference it made in my machine after removing Bitdefender is quite remarkable, now it is much lighter, I don't understand why there are people who complain that MD is heavy around. Despite the bug that day 13 even so MD managed to win me and after the test that @Shadowra did, changed my view on the AV of Windows 10/11.(y)

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Yes, I added all Windows folders and Hard_Configurator in exclusions in BD afterwards, and it still got blocked by Bitdefender. BD even created the generic name for threat
It was getting detected by the behavior blocker so the exclusions had to be made for Advanced Threat Defense not the Antivirus component.
But it's not your fault. It's not obvious the way it is designed. I know about it only because I have experience with it.
Anyway, for using window's built-in security, it's better to stick to Microsoft Defender. So, enjoy MD+H_C combination 👍

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.