Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
In the app, the version number still shows: 3.0.1.1
View attachment 267970
Yes. I used the executables from ver. 3.0.1.1 and added the new certificate to them.
So, the code in versions 3.1.1.1 and 3.0.1.1 is identical, only file hashes are different.
The ConfigureDefender version is hardcoded in the executables, so it is still visible as 3.0.1.1.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Yes. I used the executables from ver. 3.0.1.1 and added the new certificate to them.
So, the code in versions 3.1.1.1 and 3.0.1.1 is identical, only file hashes are different.
The ConfigureDefender version is hardcoded in the executables, so it is still visible as 3.0.1.1.
New version is detected by Sophos as ML PUA. What's causing this if you only added a new certificate?

Screenshot 2022-07-12 233726.jpg

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
New version is detected by Sophos as ML PUA. What's causing this if you only added a new certificate?

View attachment 267973
Sophos probably detects by ML all new ConfigureDefender versions as PUA, until it removes the false positive detection. The new ConfigureDefender files are also new to Sophos (different file hashes).
I submit my executables for whitelisting only to Microsoft, Avast, Bitdefender, and Norton.

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Sophos probably detects by ML all new ConfigureDefender versions as PUA, until it removes the false positive detection. The new ConfigureDefender files are also new to Sophos (different file hashes).
I submit my executables for whitelisting only to Microsoft, Avast, Bitdefender, and Norton.
Submitted it as a FP but it will probably take a while as Sophos is quite slow at whitelisting

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
How NOT to make tests with ConfigureDefender.

The author did not read the ConfigureDefender help:

How to apply the settings.
Select a Protection Level or custom configuration, press the "Refresh" green button and let ConfigureDefender confirm the changes. ConfigureDefender will alert if any of your changes have been blocked. Reboot to apply chosen protection.

Without rebooting, most of the MAX settings were not applied which is also visible in this video. :)

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
It is crashing due to a longtime bug in Defender. Try clearing protection history.
It is not easy because of Tamper Protection. The events related to ASR rules and CFA require a complex treatment. There are some ways to do it, we talk about this on this thread here:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
It is not easy because of Tamper Protection. The events related to ASR rules and CFA require a complex treatment. There are some ways to do it, we talk about this on this thread here:
Yes, I'm aware of that thread.

@Emanuel Tomasin One way around this is to reduce length of time to keep Protection History before auto-clearing either in GPO or via powershell.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Yes, I'm aware of that thread.

@Emanuel Tomasin One way around this is to reduce length of time to keep Protection History before auto-clearing either in GPO or via powershell.
The last time when I tested this setting it could not clear the advanced blocks. Reducing the time of keeping Protection History could clear the same entries as deleting manually the folder:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Service\DetectionHistory
This can be done easily via PowerShell with Administrator privileges:
Code:
del "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\History\Service\DetectionHistory"

I posted to Microsoft about this issue, but I did not test if it was solved.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Interesting changelog in the release preview channel build of Windows 11.
  • New! We enhanced Microsoft Defender for Endpoint’s ability to identify and intercept ransomware and advanced attacks.
I'm guessing this improvement is even coming to the stock Microsoft Defender. Maybe it has some similarity to the advanced ransomware ASR rule.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
How NOT to make tests with ConfigureDefender.

The author did not read the ConfigureDefender help:

Without rebooting, most of the MAX settings were not applied which is also visible in this video. :)

They released a new video comparison

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Interesting changelog in the release preview channel build of Windows 11.

I'm guessing this improvement is even coming to the stock Microsoft Defender. Maybe it has some similarity to the advanced ransomware ASR rule.
Maybe they're implementing that ASR rule knowing it is stable and suitable for the average user, i.e. it won't throw FPs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.