Solved Configuring Admin permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RVS2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
Disclaimer : I am an average user with average level of know-how.

I got a free used computer with the Administrator profile available. It had several viruses which are probably still not all gone.
But, the problem is with accessing computer-wide special permissions. Many folders (maybe remnants of the virus attack) are not opening nor getting deleted and say "Access is Denied".
I think the antiviruses are also denied access to scan these folders which is why I suspect malware present.

There is a SYSTEM profile, with permissions to open these folders. In addition to my Administrator profile.

How do I remove the "system" profile? it doesn't show up in User Profiles (Control Panel)
How do I gain full access to all folders or do I go one at a time?

I have gotten access (to open such folders) by going into properties/security/advanced permissions and selecting my admin profile. But can't delete them all.

For eg. "System Volume Information" in a drive is default denying access, doesn't get scanned. After going through the permission settings, it opens but doesn't get deleted nor scanned.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Try this. How to clean infections found in System Volume Information

Here are the things I do if I want to get access to System Volume Information folder:
  • Boot from a Live Windows CD/DVD/USB
  • Boot from Linux
  • Slave the HDD to another OS
Depending on your Windows version and how you've set it up, this may be easy to difficult.

Alternative is to FLUSH your restore points by disabling System Restore.
Untitled.jpg

Just relax. System Volume Information is just a system folder.
SR.jpg

For eg. "System Volume Information" in a drive is default denying access, doesn't get scanned. After going through the permission settings, it opens but doesn't get deleted nor scanned.

I know "System Volume Information" can be scanned (Ex. salitykiller)

Reactions: RVS2
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hi, you don't want to delete the system profile. Windows uses it.
To get your permissions sorted out, first of all, make sure you are in a user account with admin privileges.
If there are certain folders that are giving you trouble, right-click on the folder icon, choose properties, then security.
Now click on advanced.
look at the top, and see who is the owner.
If it is not your admin account, then click on "change owner"
In the windows that opens, choose advanced
then choose "find now"
Look for your user account, and select it.
Make sure you grant yourself full privileges.

Note that you might have to enable "inheritance" in order to complete this process

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Forgot to mention: antiviruses often find all sorts of things that they think are viruses, but are not really so dangerous and damaging. Yes, you should definitely remove any software or traces thereof that you do not totally know and trust. But these "viruses" are not necessarily the source of all that ails a second-hand computer. The first user probably just messed things up.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
An infected PC is no good for anyone, even if you rid of all threats, the OS could be damaged after being tampered with. It's unsafe to use for personal use.

You can try using MRA, but it should not be your issue to fix.

Format and Clean install the OS.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Format and Clean install the OS.
This is by far the best advice.
I was hesitant to suggest it, because I figured you probably don't want to lose the installed software etc.
But if you want to have a secure PC, Spawn's way is the only way.

Reactions: RVS2 and Ink
Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This is by far the best advice.
I was hesitant to suggest it, because I figured you probably don't want to lose the installed software etc.
Unless OP wants to play around with the system to learn and discover.
That's fine as long as it's not used for personal use.

Upvote 0

RVS2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 17, 2016
I won't be using it for important log-ins.
BTW, I went through several antiviruses during this process. Their performance :

Avira free : Was already installed, updated it and it removed 4 viruses.
Hitman pro : Removed 1+ malware.
Adwcleaner: Removed 42 instances of adware/browser malicious programs.
Zemana: Nothing.
Mbam : Found PUPs.
Avast free : Quick scan, full heuristics, hardened+aggressive mode etc. Nothing.
Kaspersky VRT : Found 1 trojan
ESET online scanner: Found same trojan + 3 unwanted game hacks.

Reactions: shmu26
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
By the way, sometimes you need a reboot, or to log out and log in, for permission changes to go into effect. So if you think you did the right thing, and it still doesn't work, try a reboot.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.