Guide | How To Configuring Comodo Defense+ against EA's Origin

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Eiso

Thread author
Nov 25, 2011
Hello,

I've added the following configuration to Comodo's Defense+ to protect against EA's 'spyware' Origin application. EA have updated their user agreement to state that they do not collect personal data to sell to third-parties, however I still see access attempts to program data. This not only violates privacy, but also slows down your system immensely. Here's a way to counter Origin snooping around your PC while adding extra protection overall.

Under Comodo's interface, click on Defense+, select Network Security Policy, then select Groups... on the right pane.

A 'File Groups' window will appear, click Add > A New Group...

Choose File Group Name input 'Program DATA'
Under this, right click and select Add...
then input the following one at a time under 'Add new item';
%PROGRAMFILES\*|
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\*|
%APPDATA%\*|
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\*|
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\*|
%USERPROFILE%\My Documents\*|
%USERPROFILE%\Contacts\*|
%USERPROFILE%\Cookies\*|
%USERPROFILE%\Favorites\*|
%USERPROFILE%\Links\*|
%PUBLIC%\Documents\*

Select OK

Then under Computer Security Policy > Protected Files and Folders select Add > File Groups > Program DATA (or whatever name you gave the group)

This should also protect against any unknown malware that attempts to access these areas. Peace of mind is everything.

Reactions: Jack

Boruteczko

Verified
Jan 18, 2014
Hi.

Could you write it for new CIS, please? I can't get Sandboxie to work...
It seems much easier.

Edit. I manage to start Origin.exe in CIS sandbox and BF3 outside of it, but what it should look like to work properly (especially online) ? Anybody can help me, please?

Last edited:

Boruteczko

Verified
Jan 18, 2014
Oh my!
Eiso's last activity: Dec 12, 2011

I suppose I can repost it on Comodo forum then?

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.