Congratulations to all! MalwareTips has more than 50.000 Members!

Solarlynx

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 30, 2012
I'm grateful to MT for invaluable tips I get here.

I wonder how many members are active? Is it possible to get this info?

It's interesting how to define an active member. Maybe something like at least 100 posts a year?

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
In the real world and the web, the definition of active members will probably be slightly different. It is not rare that members who have been absent for a long time come back suddenly.
What I care about is people who leave just by posting a greeting, or who leave right after posting a question and getting the necessary information.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming them. But I wonder if it was necessary to register my personal information and become a member if I leave just by saying hello.

Before, I always greeted new members. That's because I was very happy to be treated like that, so I wanted to share the joy. However, many people greet each other and pass by each other.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
In the real world and the web, the definition of active members will probably be slightly different. It is not rare that members who have been absent for a long time come back suddenly.
What I care about is people who leave just by posting a greeting, or who leave right after posting a question and getting the necessary information.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not blaming them. But I wonder if it was necessary to register my personal information and become a member if I leave just by saying hello.

Before, I always greeted new members. That's because I was very happy to be treated like that, so I wanted to share the joy. However, many people greet each other and pass by each other.
There are also members with no posts, last seen on the day that they became a member. Why bother to register an account and then do nothing with it?

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
There are also members with no posts, last seen on the day that they became a member. Why bother to register an account and then do nothing with it?
At first, I was wondering if they left the forum feeling uncomfortable right after they registered their account. However, it seems that most of them look at the forums as guests and then obtain an account.

This is my guess, but it may also be because if you are not motivated to post and only participate in browsing, you can use the forum without logging in.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
At first, I was wondering if they left the forum feeling uncomfortable right after they registered their account. However, it seems that most of them look at the forums as guests and then obtain an account.

This is my guess, but it may also be because if you are not motivated to post and only participate in browsing, you can use the forum without logging in.
Yes it doesn't seem to make sense. I can't remember why I was motivated to make an account. I have browsed here before looking at information for AV through the years but don't remember if there was something I wanted to comment on that made me sign up. Either way I am glad I did because I have felt most welcome and was greeted warmly. So I have found a new "home"!

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I believe i got registered shortly after MT was created. cant remember since this is not my first acc.
I did make many friends and still have some close friends here.
looking back, the amount of videos of testing i put up on yt at the time was quite a good experience. Needless to say as time goes by, i retired from actively testing and only do some sort of testings in my spare time.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Although it is inconsistent with the post a little while ago, if you participate only by browsing, I do not think that you will come up with the idea of registering an account.

After a trial period, I obtained the final version of the software, and immediately after I activated it, I uninstalled it.
... I felt something similar to this strange feeling.🧐

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.