Context scan menu

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
While bored, decided to revisit a channel in youtube which quickly reminded me why I stopped watching videos by a specific user.

Before we get into this, here's a valid question and I am curious to what will be the opinions that will be presented:

In your opinion, is Context Scan Menu a must in any AV solution? Is that much of a deal breaker or you can easily live without it? Would you not even touch it if it didn't have such feature, even if it was a good solution?

I am referring to this (WD example):
T4QTKL4.png

Now what caused this question? something I found it hard to believe: at 1.20 minute mark of this video, the comment made.

Now for my own opinion: it does not matter if there is or not a context menu option available. Does not affect in any shape or form how I would view an AV solution or use it.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
In your opinion, is Context Scan Menu a must in any AV solution? Is that much of a deal breaker or you can easily live without it? Would you not even touch it if it didn't have such feature, even if it was a good solution?
It's convenient, but not a deal breaker, but as long as there is a Custom Scan option within the program itself.

H

hjlbx

If Context Menu scan is a must, there are numerous tutorials online to add it via registry tweaks.

There's even downloadable batch files to save you the trouble of going into the registry.

It's only for convenience.

Quality of real-time protection (reactive\proactive) is much more important.

If it is good then you have no need for Context Menu scan; just go about your work routine and real-time protection will take care of your system.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
If Context Menu scan is a must, there are numerous tutorials online to add it via registry tweaks.

There's even downloadable batch files to save you the trouble of going into the registry.

It's only for convenience.

Quality of real-time protection (reactive\proactive) is much more important.

If it is good then you have no need for Context Menu scan; just go about your work routine and real-time protection will take care of your system.

I used WD as an example, tho it is enabled by default. What got me asking this question was the actual comment on the video I linked. Have a look :)

H

hjlbx

I used WD as an example, tho it is enabled by default. What got me asking this question was the actual comment on the video I linked. Have a look :)

That is just that tester's opinion regarding convenience.

Ability to create exclusions is important for those that run into safe, false-positives.

Norton, for example, I have learned will in some cases auto-delete without user consent. There is no way around it.

That's a no-no. So I agree about the ability to create exclusions.

Right-Click scanning is a minor convenience. Here is where I think it is wholly a matter of personal preference and not one of protection.

Yes. Windows Defender is basically outdated and has virtually no features.

However, in the end, all that matters is the quality of reactive\proactive real-time protection.

In 99 % of cases, a typical user will never use Context Menu Scan.

I use it in COMODO since I am continually messing about with Unrecognized files and to test COMODO's AV module... but I am not typical user.

Tester is entitled to his opinion.

Deal breaker... I think not.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
An AV should be convenient at all and as possible its standard way to scan specific files within single clicks.

But of course protection is another way story however sometimes it should properly organize so that the user is not difficult to set up.

One of the example is Sophos Home Free BETA which currently does not have quarantine, even though the protection is good however when FP are occur then it must place safely upon investigation.

Again as possible, an AV can have good protection alongside of ease to use within functions included.

In our case its a user preference basis.

D

Deleted member 178

i always disable the AV's context-menu item; don't want slowdown on my context menu; less item in it faster it is :D

Reactions: DracusNarcrym
I

illumination

i always disable the AV's context-menu item; don't want slowdown on my context menu; less item in it faster it is :D
I can see this being the case with you and all of the security applications you run, does not effect mine like that though ;) :p

I

illumination

not saying i dont like long list menu ^^
I personally must have exclusions in any security app i run, and well, right click context gives one on the fly scanning of individual files, that is something i do not want to do with out. It does not hinder my context menu speed, nor is it hard to navigate.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
During my first few months here, a helpful member gave me a link which walked me through how to 'tweak', correct, & include, an AV scan or secondary scanner failing to appear as a 'right' click option, as mentioned above by hjlbx. I'd neither considered this a default nor a missing, albeit preferred, option until now.:rolleyes: Up until that point, I'd before always thought it was 'just my luck'. Now, I realize that yes, I want to have it on everything I right click on for anything I wish to scan with!:D
Is it a deal breaker? No, it's semantics (not Symantec AKA: Norton!:p) and it is convenience as already mentioned.
It doesn't need be a deal breaker because it's up to each of us, right?o_O :)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.