Control Flow Guard Exploit Mitigation technology

Cch123

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
May 6, 2014
Hey guys, as some of you might know, there is a (major?) new exploit mitigation technology newly implemented in Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 Update 3. Hence I would like to create this thread for us to discuss this technology :)

Contents:
  • Description and technical details
  • Implications

1. Description
Microsoft enabled a new exploit mitigation technology in Windows 10 and in Windows 8.1 Update 3 (released last November) by default. The technology first appeared in windows 8.1 preview but was disables in the RTM version due to compatibility issues. This technology is based upon almost a decade of research into Control Flow Integrity technology, but the current implementation is incomplete in my opinion.

Basically, the technology places checks before each indirect calls during compilation. Hence, when the application is run, the check function validates indirect call target address and would kill the application if an untrusted address’s called.

An analogy would be this. An application has to travel on a road from point A to B in normal operation. However, the path to B can also lead to other places. When the application is exploited, the bad guys would want to hijack it to go to another place, say, C. That's when these checks come in and stop the application when the checks detect that the application is going another way.

To explore this particular technology, I used the Windows 10 Technical Preview (build 6.4.9841), with test applications built using the Visual Studio 2015 Preview. Because the CFG implementation of the latest Windows 10 technical preview build (10.0.9926) has a slight change at that same point, I will point out the difference.

To fully implement CFG, both the compiler and the operating system must support it properly. As an exploit mitigation mechanism in the system level, the CFG implementation requires cooperation from the compiler, the operating system user mode library, and the kernel mode module. A blog post on MSDN outlined the steps that developers need to do to support CFG.

Microsoft’s implementation of CFG is focused on indirect call protection. Consider the following code in the test program I created:

cfg1.png

Figure 1. Code of test application

Let’s take a look at what the encircled code compiles into if CFG is not enabled.

cfg2.png

Figure 2. Assembly code of test program

In the above figure, there is one type of indirect call. Its target address is not decided at compilation and is instead decided at runtime. An exploit can abuse this as follows:

cfg3.png

Figure 3. How to abuse the indirect call

Microsoft’s implementation of CFG focuses on mitigating problems if the indirect call is exploited and an invalid target is called (in an exploit, this would be to first stage shellcode).

The invalid target has a distinguishing characteristic: in most cases it is not a valid function starting address. Microsoft’s CFG implementation is based on the idea that an indirect call’s target must be the start of a valid function. What is the resulting assembly code if CFG is enabled?

cfg4.png

Figure 4. Assembly code, with CFG enabled

Before the indirect call, the target address is passed to the _guard_check_icall function, which is where CFG is actually implemented. In versions of Windows without CFG support, this function does nothing. In Windows 10, which does have CFG support, it points to ntdll!LdrpValidateUserCallTarget. This function takes a target address as argument and does the following:

1. Access a bitmap (called CFGBitmap) which represents the starting location of all the functions in the process space. The status of every 8 bytes in the process space corresponds to a bit in CFGBitmap. If there is a function starting address in each group of 8 bytes, the corresponding bit in CFGBitmap is set to 1; otherwise it is set to 0. The figure below is an example of a portion of CFGBitmap:
    cfg5.png

Figure 5. Representation of CFGBitmap

2. Convert the target address to one bit in CFGBitmap. Let’s take 00b01030 as example:
    cfg6.png

Figure 6. Target address

The highest 3 bytes (the 24 bits encircled in blue) is the offset for CFGBitmap (unit is 4 bytes/32 bits). In this example, the highest three bytes are equal to to 0xb010. Therefore, the pointer to a four byte unit inCFGBitmap is the base address of CFGBitmap plus 0xb010.

Meanwhile, the fourth bit to the eighth bit is (the five bits encircled in red) have the value X. If target address is aligned with 0x10 (target address & 0xf == 0), then X is the bit offset value within the unit. If the target address is not aligned with 0x10 (target address & 0xf != 0), the X | 0x1 is the bit offset value.

In this example, the target address is 0x00b01030. X has the value of six. The formula 0x00b01030 & 0xfhas a result of zero; this means the bit offset is also six.

3. We look at the bit identified in step #2. If the bit is equal to 1, it means the indirect call target is valid because it is a function’s starting address. If the bit is 0, it means the indirect call target is invalid because it is not one function’s starting address. If the indirect call target is valid, the function will do nothing and let it go. If the indirect call target is invalid, an exception will be raised which should prevent further exploit code from running.
    cfg7.png

Figure 7. Value in CFGBitmap
Adapted from: Trend micro Source

2. Implications

One definite advantage is that it will break some exploits that use the functions that is guarded by CFG. However, despite the advantages,I think that this is incomplete because indirect jumps, returns etc. are not covered by this technology. Any thoughts on this? :)

Edit: Updated the post a little

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Thanks for sharing. I understood the analogy example, but the rest is above and beyond my understanding of Computer Security.

Reactions: frogboy

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Me also do not understand at all? :confused::eek::oops:

Cch123

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
May 6, 2014
Me too actually :D I copied the technical details portion from trend micro because there are still some things that I cannot understand in there, but I think I get the general idea.

Also, I think Hitman Pro has implemented a similar technology in their products. Maybe their reps can share more details about their implementation? @Erik Loman

Erik Loman

From SurfRight
Verified
Developer
Jan 27, 2015
Me too actually :D I copied the technical details portion from trend micro because there are still some things that I cannot understand in there, but I think I get the general idea.

Also, I think Hitman Pro has implemented a similar technology in their products. Maybe their reps can share more details about their implementation? @Erik Loman
The Control Flow Guard in Windows 8.1u3 and 10 is so-called fine-grained CFI and is pure a software implementation.
The Control Flow Integrity (CFI) feature in HitmanPro.Alert is so-called coarse grained CFI and is both a software _and_ hardware implementation (Intel hardware only).

Control Flow Guard requires support from both the operating system (Windows 8.1u3 or 10) and recompiling of an application and its DLLs (sources needed).

Alert can apply CFI to any version of Windows (XP or newer) and can be applied to any binary, no recompiling required.

Of course the Control Flow Guard in Windows 8.1u3 or 10 provides better coverage (fine grained), but it is currently impractical as there are no binaries supporting CFG and Windows 8.1u3 market share is still very low. However over time (many years) this will change.

Hope this helps.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.