Advice Request Controlled folders access blocking legitimate Windows processes, even after whitelisting them

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I've tried to use the new controlled folders access feature, but it's a comple disaster! It's blocking pickerhost.exe when I'm trying to save files using Microsoft Edge. I've whitelisted that, rebooted and nothing changes! Always blocked. It's also blocking the tool for making screenshots!
Any idea of why is this happening?

bug.PNG bug2.jpg

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
I've tried to use the new controlled folders access feature, but it's a comple disaster! It's blocking pickerhost.exe when I'm trying to save files using Microsoft Edge. I've whitelisted that, rebooted and nothing changes! Always blocked. It's also blocking the tool for making screenshots!
Any idea of why is this happening?

View attachment 171047 View attachment 171048
I had an issue in regard the snapping tools not working. That was solved by running Windows Updates Repaid tool, wu170509 or the latest. Downloadable from Microsoft.
Started to use the Process folders feature again after I stopped for a while, wanting to give it another try, it is very chatty and I have to constantly figure out the warnings it gives. Hope it will stop soon once I add all the apps I use that it gives warnings for.

Errata corrige & Edit: (snapping) Snipping Tools windows owns and third party screenshots tool too not working.

Last edited:

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I had an issue in regard the snapping tools not working. That was solved by running Windows Updates Repaid tool, wu170509 or the latest. Downloadable from Microsoft.
Started to use the Process folders feature again after I stopped for a while, wanting to give it another try, it is very chatty and I have to constantly figure out the warnings it gives. Hope it will stop soon once I add all the apps I use that it gives warnings for.

Errata corrige & Edit: (snapping) Snipping Tools windows owns and third party screenshots tool too not working.
The strange facts are that
1) This blocked files are made by Microsoft itself
2) The whitelist doesn't work

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
The strange facts are that
1) This blocked files are made by Microsoft itself
2) The whitelist doesn't work

Unfortunately I'm not an expert. All what I know is that after some googling investigation I came across that, the snipping tool and the Screenshots apps may not be working due to a failed update.
I'm giving myself some more time with the process folders protection feature, though I don't understand why I get warnings about changes I make on the computer telling me that WD blocked that process but nothing is blocked.
For example, while reinstalling VS the warning say that the process blocked VS to make changes on my computer, but factually there was not blocks, VS installed fine. Same for others instances.
Maybe I'm missing something here or it is just that this WD feature is above may pay grade, in which case I probably better do without it.

Last edited:

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Unfortunately I'm not an expert. All what I know is that after some googling investigation I came across that, the snipping tool and the Screenshots apps may not be working due to a failed update.
I'm giving myself some more time with the process folders protection feature, though I don't understand why I get warnings about changes I make on the computer telling me that WD blocked that process but nothing is blocked.
For example, while reinstalling VS the warning say that the process blocked VS to make changes on my computer, but factually there was not blocks, VS installed fine. Same for others instances.
Maybe I'm missing something here or it is just that these WD feature is above may pay grade, in which case I probably better do without it.
Actually the screenshot tools works for me if I disabled Controlled folders access...

I know the one of VoodooShield because it happened on my desktop, and I can explain you. Basically, VoodooShield on installation creates a desktop shortcut. The controlled folders access blocked its creation (you will see you don't have it)

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Actually the screenshot tools works for me if I disabled Controlled folders access...

I know the one of VoodooShield because it happened on my desktop, and I can explain you. Basically, VoodooShield on installation creates a desktop shortcut. The controlled folders access blocked its creation (you will see you don't have it)

As for the screenshot tools, if the Controlled folder feature came as default enable, with 1709 upgrade, that was the problem then. If it need to be enabled after upgrade it was something else. I can recollect that when I did run the WU repair tool it gave a failed update error and I had to run the repair tool. After that no more problems.
Possibly it may have been a failed update error that had nothing to do with snipping tools, who knows.

Thanks for the VS desktop issue explanation. I did add VS to control process folders, and so on as I get the warning and I know it is a legit App.

Some users have no issues at all, some do. It maybe a learning curve, or it may depend on how much stuff one has on his computer that may somehow conflict.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TheMalwareMaster

Insecurity

Level 1
Nov 3, 2016
I also had many problems with this feature, explained here:
Poll - Who has already played with new W10 security features?

Kinda weird, especially because legitimate software should be allowed automatically. At least that's what Microsoft is saying. At the end I even got notifications without doing anything because some Windows processes tried to access some folders I added to the controlled folders list.

Maybe they'll improve it in the future, but right now it's not usable for me and as it seems it's not usable for many others, too. But it's really strange that some people aren't having any problems with it.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I have really few programs on my PC (13), of which some are drivers or Microsoft programs (one drive and other stuff). The other security software is COMODO Firewall

VecchioScarpone

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2017
Maybe they'll improve it in the future, but right now it's not usable for me and as it seems it's not usable for many others, too. But it's really strange that some people aren't having any problems with it.

@TheMalwareMaster
Non tutte le ciambelle escono col buco (Not all donuts come out with the hole). We may be the unlucky ones, though I'm coming to think of that WD feature as a bit raw. It need more cooking.

Guten Sonntag
Buona domenica

Last edited:

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Guys, I still have issues...
But just with pickerhost.exe. After whitelisting it, it works after the first reboot. After some reboots though, it will be blocked even if whitelisted

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.