Who has already played with new W10 security features?

Have you enabled and added folders to secure folder access feature?

• YEs

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 46 50.5%
  • What ??

Votes: 18 19.8%

• Total voters

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You don't have to bypass it when you can can inject into explorer and then do what you wish to do.
Good you pointed that out.
It's a mistake for people to think that protected folders is total protection from ransomware. Because if ransomware hides its identity by injecting itself into a trusted process, protected folders won't help.

D

Deleted member 178

You don't have to bypass it when you can can inject into explorer and then do what you wish to do.

It's a mistake for people to think that protected folders is total protection from ransomware. Because if ransomware hides its identity by injecting itself into a trusted process, protected folders won't help.
Which is a bypass to me :eek:

Insecurity

Level 1
Nov 3, 2016
I was using the secure folders for a few days because I thought it's at least "basic protection" without whitelisting everything important. When you activate the secure folders, an information appears that you don't have to manually add your programs to the trusted list because Windows will check them automatically and allow them if they're trusted.

It sounds nice, but at the end it was just annoying. When I downloaded something with Firefox, I got many notifications that Windows prevented a potentially malicious action because I was trying to save the file at my desktop. I couldn't save anything with any programs on my computer to secure folders actually, even though Microsoft says that well known software will be allowed automatically. That prevented developing with XAMPP also, because out of curiosity I added my developement folder to the secure folders.

I thought this behavior exists to prevent drive-by downloads and similar, but somehow I could save anything to the downloads folder, even though this one was also protected by default.

At the end I even got notifications without doing anything because some Windows processes tried to access some folders I added to the secure folders.

Maybe they'll improve it in the future, but right now it's just annoying because I even got these warning notifications after I added my programs to the whitelist.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
D

Deleted member 178

UAC was kind of annoying for certain people, i think they will cry on the floor because:

- Protected folders = need a reboot
- Turning on/off mitigation = need a reboot

i don't know what are the purpose of the insiders, if they can't make MS understand that such basic stuff are real annoyance.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
CFA block something when Chrome is installed:

1.jpg

This is one new settings - Zero Tolerance

2.jpg

This is second new settings - Block dangerous sites/domains

4.jpg

Also, set Win Defender update to every 1h

3.jpg

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Also, this is very intresting (C/P from Wilders):
Windows Defender Is Becoming the Powerful Antivirus That Windows 10 Needs

Also remember the four features in Windows Defender Exploit Guard : Exploit Protection, Attack Surface Reduction rules, Network Protection and Controlled Folder Access.

Exploit Protection and Controlled Folder Access you can set up directly in the Windows Defender Security Center UI.
Attack Surface Reduction rules and Network Protection needs to be configured through Group Policy or PowerShell.

"A real world example of Attack Surface Reduction rules blocking a exploit from being able to use a vulnerability in the critical time up until a patch becomes available :
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...t-for-cve-2017-8759-detected-and-neutralized/"

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Would it be good to add a browser (eg Chrome) to Exploit Protection> Program Settings?

ex.jpg

If it is added, do you still need to adjust something? What?

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Would it be good to add a browser (eg Chrome) to Exploit Protection> Program Settings?

View attachment 170287

If it is added, do you still need to adjust something? What?
I am running EMET, which Exploit Protection is based on, and it comes with templates. I will screenshot the EMET settings from Chrome, which is on their "popular software" template:
Capture.PNG

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I like it, just need to do some test but can't find the free time...:cry:

I would like to someone (@cruelsister) test all this new settings set to max ;)

Reactions: shmu26 and XhenEd

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Well protected folder is simply one of the new security features Microsoft has implemented.

I assume this combine with attack surface reduction and exploit protection should have all users covered.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Well protected folder is simply one of the new security features Microsoft has implemented.

I assume this combine with attack surface reduction and exploit protection should have all users covered.
It all has these great-sounding names, but...

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Thx to blog ov AV-comparatives Spotlight on security: New Windows 10 security features - AV-Comparatives Weblog I now the En-US names for the exploit features

Exploit Guard is just EMET integrated into Windows.

No it is more, I added extra protections Office and Alpbelli Photobook:

Disable extension points
Disables various extensibility mechanisms that allow DLL injection into all processes, such as AppInit DLLs, window hooks, and Winsock service providers.

Do not allow child processes
Prevents an app from creating child processes.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.