Who has already played with new W10 security features?

Have you enabled and added folders to secure folder access feature?

• YEs

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • No

Votes: 46 50.5%
  • What ??

Votes: 18 19.8%

• Total voters

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Hi updated Windows 10 on my wife's new laptop. Already tweaked secure folders access feature and added programs to exploit guard (block starting of other executable and reducing hook setting - wife's w10 is in Dutch, so don't know the correct term for 'uitbredingspunten uitschakelen')

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
1709 - Installed it last night from a ISO (saving Apps & Settings) - To be honest I did as I usually do & disabled Defender, ticked everything in O&O ShutUp bar auto Windows Updates & trust a combination of Panda, Zemana & HitmanPro.Alert with AdGuard to keep me safe. Never trusted MS security in the past & maybe it’s a bit late to start trusting it now? Esp. considering the amount of telemetry that goes back to MS without the likes of O&O ShutUP. Maybe I'm wrong but sticking with what I have along with frequent Reflect images & multiple backups.

Tiny

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 29, 2016
I can't find the Controlled Access Folder option in Windows.
Click on the Defender icon in your tray area > Virus & threat protection settings > Scroll down and click on the Controlled folder access slider. I also added a few folders that I would normally put in the Protected Objects section of CF10 and disabled those. I'm yet to add anything to the Exploit Guard section though.

WD handles it all pretty well.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
This has me a lil nervous, so what happens in the event that there is no "Malicious" behavior, but a program or software does something that Windows does not like, like maybe blocking or editing something that MS really wants left alone. Can they then list that change as a say "Exploit" or "Malicious" in nature and nuke your changes ?
I am going to wait and watch this for a bit before I jump into this pool for sure.
Thanks WS ;)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Click on the Defender icon in your tray area > Virus & threat protection settings > Scroll down and click on the Controlled folder access slider. I also added a few folders that I would normally put in the Protected Objects section of CF10 and disabled those. I'm yet to add anything to the Exploit Guard section though.

WD handles it all pretty well.
No. It's not there. I think the presence of EAM prevented it with default Windows Defender disabled

Edit :- Just confirmed. If I have EAM installed and have the default Windows Defender disabled it prevented the display of other settings in Virus & Threat Protection Settings. Anyway have EAM then shouldn't have WD, right?

Last edited:

Tiny

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 29, 2016
You mean after allowing said program access to the controlled folders?

Reactions: given

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
No. It's not there. I think the presence of EAM prevented it

Edit :- Just confirmed. If I have EAM installed and have the default Windows Defender disabled it prevented the display of other settings in Virus & Threat Protection Settings. Anyway have EAM then shouldn't have WD, right?
Yeah, just keep it off. I was going to wake mine up then tinker with this when the time came, but I think I will wait seeing I am very happy with my Security config at the moment.

Danielx64

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017

now the real bet is how long before someone bypass it ?

It is possible that it could be intended, a bug, or Microsoft has not let vendors know how to integrate so the protected folders feature isn't disabled.

I'd bet Microsoft did it intentionally as it fits with their usual practices.

Sure, someone will try to do a workaround so the feature is available, but then Microsoft might complain.

Microsoft is not the helping hand that some people make it out to be.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Anyone have a quick explanation of exploit guard, and is it a compelling reason to update? Is it available at no additional cost on Windows 10 pro, and will it make MS Office products more secure?

Besides that and secure folders, any other compelling security reasons to update?

Anyone have a quick explanation of exploit guard, and is it a compelling reason to update? Is it available at no additional cost on Windows 10 pro, and will it make MS Office products more secure?

Besides that and secure folders, any other compelling security reasons to update?

Exploit Guard is just EMET integrated into Windows.

FCU is almost completely Microsoft media hype.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.