Controlled folders Windows 10 with AppGuard running bug?

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 69673
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
Today I noticed something strange on my pc. I went into Windows Defender Security Center and clicked on Ransomware Protection ( controlled folders). I tried enabling it and it would enable for about a second, then switch back off. What I found is with Appguard set to lockdown, I could not enable it. I then put Appguard in Protected mode and had no problem enabling controlled folders.Also putting Appguard in install mode allows me to enable controlled folders.
Also it you have controlled folders enabled while in lockdown mode, you can not disable it again.

Using version 4 lifetime.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
No issue here with Appguard and Controlled folders (on 3 systems) ,
Today I noticed something strange on my pc. I went into Windows Defender Security Center and clicked on Ransomware Protection ( controlled folders). I tried enabling it and it would enable for about a second, then switch back off. What I found is with Appguard set to lockdown, I could not enable it. I then put Appguard in Protected mode and had no problem enabling controlled folders.Also putting Appguard in install mode allows me to enable controlled folders.
Also it you have controlled folders enabled while in lockdown mode, you can not disable it again.

Using version 4 lifetime.
No issue here with Appguard and Controlled folders (on 3 systems). However i didn't tried with v4, will do later.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Controlled Folders introduce too many conflicts, the tools is useless and badly implemented, you must whitelist almost all your apps and even Windows' system processes.
Anyway, you don't need it with Appguard, because AG has Protected Folders features.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
@ticklemefeet
Are there any blocks from AppGuard related to Windows Defender? If so, can you post them here?

I get these blocks all the time.

05/08/18 14:31:31 Prevented process <mpcmdrun.exe | c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe> from launching from <c:\programdata\microsoft\windows defender\platform\4.14.17639.18041-0>.

Reactions: XhenEd

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014

05/08/18 14:31:31 Prevented process <mpcmdrun.exe | c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe> from launching from <c:\programdata\microsoft\windows defender\platform\4.14.17639.18041-0>.
Still having issues even after implementing exceptions for AppGuard in Controlled Folders?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Controlled Folders introduce too many conflicts, the tools is useless and badly implemented, you must whitelist almost all your apps and even Windows' system processes.
Anyway, you don't need it with Appguard, because AG has Protected Folders features.
For sure, and this is why I suggested what did, I was hoping you would see this and reply seeing your more familiar with AG than I am.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

If this block is from the Appguard log, it indicates that you have not made the proper exceptions in Appguard for Windows Defender. You should exclude mpcmdrun.exe and all the other WD processes from User Space. Preferably, do it with a wildcard, to cover future updates. For this particular process, you could exclude the following path from User Space:
c:\programdata\microsoft\windows defender\platform\*\mpcmdrun.exe

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If this block is from the Appguard log, it indicates that you have not made the proper exceptions in Appguard for Windows Defender. You should exclude mpcmdrun.exe and all the other WD processes from User Space. Preferably, do it with a wildcard, to cover future updates. For this particular process, you could exclude the following path from User Space:
c:\programdata\microsoft\windows defender\platform\*\mpcmdrun.exe
@ticklemefeet, don't forget -- after adding your exclusions -- to make sure that they are set to "No".
Please double-check that is set to userspace: No.

Reactions: harlan4096
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Thread author
because MS(tupid) decided that WD processes look cool in user-space...

I know right? Why they do this baffles me. Funny thing is I been using appguard for along time and never saw these until a few weeks ago, along with filecoauth.exe although it does not show in activity report.

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I know right? Why they do this baffles me. Funny thing is I been using appguard for along time and never saw these until a few weeks ago, along with filecoauth.exe although it does not show in activity report.
I will guess that you started seeing these when you switched to locked down mode.

As long as you are in regular mode, all those processes will run, because they are signed by MS.
However, Windows Defender's ability to protect you will still be crippled, unless you either make the necessary exceptions, or turn off memory protection for MS.

I

illumination

Thread author
It is hard telling not having hands on V4 and also not knowing the program to the depths that @Lockdown does.

I utilize Lock Down Mode as a on demand mostly on this system, when i'm not researching in unknown territory, it is placed in Protected Mode for usability on this shared system. I do have all the main vulnerable processes blocked/disabled, as well as a few others, and the couple applications i do have on the system, are in guarded apps. The trusted publisher list is narrowed down, and this coupled with SEPC for times i need to lower protection and covering the network, works for me. It works hand in hand quite well.

I probably did not see any issues as i set up the system in protected mode, then only used Lock Down Mode occasionally, although during them times, i had no issues, other then needing to place AG in Controlled Folder Access. I did not keep Controlled folders enabled, i had just done so out of curiosity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.