Advice Request Copier program like TeraCopy / Copy Handler or built in?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I would suggest FastCopy, as it consistently achieves great results in speed tests. is regularly updated and available as portable too. The interface is not the flashiest, and doesn't overwrite Windows default copier, but it does it's job better than most. Teracopy is not that great and sometimes even slower than Windows file copier.

However I haven't tested it for quite a long time, and my experiences come from 2019 and prior

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
I tried to stopwatch a file transfer comparision of Teracopy and Copyhandler and Windows and only saw like 3 second difference and I think windows was faster than both of the copiers for one file! :unsure: Makes you wonder if Windows 10 built in has gotten better!

Reactions: Venustus

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Its better to try and test a few of them yourself.
Its really impossible to tell which one will work best on your system, but one thing's for sure is that they have some extra features which come in handy at times.
Also, you will notice the differences only if you do a lot of copying and transferring.

Reactions: Venustus

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I tried to stopwatch a file transfer comparision of Teracopy and Copyhandler and Windows and only saw like 3 second difference and I think windows was faster than both of the copiers for one file! :unsure: Makes you wonder if Windows 10 built in has gotten better!

Windows is definitely faster if you are sharing smaller files. External file copiers are good only when you share files of larger sizes.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I copied a virtual disk file with teracopy, and it took forever. I don't see the advantage of it.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Started a new thread for discussion here.

I tried to do a testing for file copiers and am sharing the results here. I have yet to do the testing across flash drives & network drives. I have done the test on video, iso, zip, exe, photos, music & game files, everything within internal hard disk drive.

I did download around 14 file copiers, but found that only 4 of them were updated in the last 4 years, and all four of them got updates this year (namely FastCopy, CopyHandler, Teracopy, UltraCopier). So I have taken only these file copiers into consideration for the test.

Here are the details of the files tested
  • Video - 1 file - 6.86 GB
  • ISO - 1 file - 2.20 GB
  • ZIP/RAR - 1 file - 5.71 GB
  • EXE - 1 file - 1.73 GB
  • Images - 118 files - 1.60 GB
  • MP3 - 235 files - 2.11 GB
  • Game - numerous files - 3.03 GB

tGoCyum.png

I might extend the test by testing, 1. Copy to and from flash drives 2. Copy to and from network drives (maybe). Also if time permits I will test other outdated copiers in my list (last updated in brackets):

• ExtremeCopy 2.4 (2013)
  • FastFileCopy 1.0 (2012)
  • FFCopy 1.0 (2012)
  • File Fisher 2.03 (2014)
  • KillCopy 2.85 (2008)
  • Microsoft RichCopy 4.02 (2009)
  • NiceCopier 15.02 (2015)
  • Perigee Copy 1.7 (2015)
  • Unstoppable Copier 5.2 (2010)
  • WinRoboCopy 1.35 (2016)
Post full tests, will update the review on Gizmo's Freeware under Best Free File Copier.

Last edited:

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Wow so they do make a difference vs. windows built in, mostly as some said for larger files.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.