Advice Request File Copier: Speed comparison Test

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I tried to do a testing for file copiers and am sharing the results here. I have yet to do the file copy testing across flash drives & network drives. I have done the test on video, iso, zip, exe, photos, music & game files, everything within internal hard disk drive.

I did download around 14 file copiers, but found that only 4 of them were updated in the last 4 years, and all four of them got updates this year (namely FastCopy, CopyHandler, Teracopy, UltraCopier). So I have taken only these file copiers into consideration for the test.

Here are the details of the files tested
  • Video - 1 file - 6.86 GB
  • ISO - 1 file - 2.20 GB
  • ZIP/RAR - 1 file - 5.71 GB
  • EXE - 1 file - 1.73 GB
  • Images - 118 files - 1.60 GB
  • MP3 - 235 files - 2.11 GB
  • Game - numerous files - 3.03 GB

tGoCyum.png

I might extend the test by testing, 1. Copy to and from flash drives 2. Copy to and from network drives (maybe). Also if time permits I will test other outdated copiers in my list (last updated in brackets):

• ExtremeCopy 2.4 (2013)
  • FastFileCopy 1.0 (2012)
  • FFCopy 1.0 (2012)
  • File Fisher 2.03 (2014)
  • KillCopy 2.85 (2008)
  • Microsoft RichCopy 4.02 (2009)
  • NiceCopier 15.02 (2015)
  • Perigee Copy 1.7 (2015)
  • Unstoppable Copier 5.2 (2010)
  • WinRoboCopy 1.35 (2016)

Post full tests, will update the review on Gizmo's Freeware under Best Free File Copier.

Last edited:

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
I tried it and on default Fast Copy IS faster than Copy Handler, BUT I don't like the extra hand holding, even with turning off confirmation it pops up a seperate window to ask where to copy the file to. So it's not a seamless integration like Copy Handler and Tera copy can do. BTW I used copy handler and tweaked the buffer to 5 mb and i tested a 2.5 gb ISO that took Fast Copy 30 seconds and Copy Handler was taking 43 seconds. But now Copy Handler copied that same ISO in only 23 seconds ! Plus I am a geek about tweaking...so I can change the sound file alerts for copying with Copy Handler so maybe for now I will stick with it. I just like to be able to drag and drop copy and right click copy and paste without interruption!

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I tried it and on default Fast Copy IS faster than Copy Handler, BUT I don't like the extra hand holding, even with turning off confirmation it pops up a seperate window to ask where to copy the file to. So it's not a seamless integration like Copy Handler and Tera copy can do. BTW I used copy handler and tweaked the buffer to 5 mb and i tested a 2.5 gb ISO that took Fast Copy 30 seconds and Copy Handler was taking 43 seconds. But now Copy Handler copied that same ISO in only 23 seconds ! Plus I am a geek about tweaking...so I can change the sound file alerts for copying with Copy Handler so maybe for now I will stick with it. I just like to be able to drag and drop copy and right click copy and paste without interruption!

"BUT I don't like the extra hand holding, even with turning off confirmation it pops up a seperate window to ask where to copy the file to."
In FastCopy, go to Options->main settings->shell extension->Dont confirm in Copy(drag&drop). You can turn this setting on as All users/Admin (press elevate button on top right of FastCopy). Now use normal copy of Windows, and then right click FastCopy(paste)

"BTW I used copy handler and tweaked the buffer to 5 mb and i tested a 2.5 gb ISO that took Fast Copy 30 seconds and Copy Handler was taking 43 seconds. But now Copy Handler copied that same ISO in only 23 seconds ! "
Consecutive tries appear to be faster when copying same file across source and destination, that seemed unfair at times, so I had to do all testing in Shadow Defender and reboot when testing each software and clear cache. You can set buffer sizes across different copiers.

"Plus I am a geek about tweaking...so I can change the sound file alerts for copying with Copy Handler"
In FastCopy go to Options->Post-process(normal)->add/modify/del-> set your sound options. Here you can customize sound alerts to any notification sound/music you like, and even different sounds for normal/standby/hibernate/shutdown post process tasks.

I still haven't checked the feature set of copiers, this was simply speed comparison test. Other useful options in FastCopy i found
Options->Main settings->Estimate Finish time
Options->Main settings->Always show extended filter
Options->Main settings->I/O settings->Buffer (set according to personal preference)
Options->Main settings->Parallel running
Options->Main settings->At minimized->Run in task tray
Options->Same HDD/Diff HDD mode
You can also set the speed of file transfer using the slider on the main windows if you are doing OS intensive operations.

Performance also changed when using Kaspersky/Windows Defender as main antivirus for different file copiers. By the way tests aren't complete, plenty of other file copiers to test more.

Last edited:

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
While it is true that FastCopy is a bit faster than Teracopy, I find it to me more cumbersome and time consuming just to use. Teracopy also has a modern GUI with dark mode and directly replaces Windows copy.
True that, Teracopy has a better interface than most and like UltraCopier directly replaces Windows copy. However file copiers doesn't do a better job than Windows default when copying smaller files, so replacing Windows copy for all operations doesnt seem to be a good idea.

But for speed for large file transfers, it looks like there are better options out there.

Last edited:

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
While it is true that FastCopy is a bit faster than Teracopy, I find it to me more cumbersome and time consuming just to use. Teracopy also has a modern GUI with dark mode and directly replaces Windows copy.

Same impression here. FastCopy is not so fancy like TeraCopy but i like Extreme Copy also. The GUI is indeed nice.

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Until I upload my full review on Gizmo's Freeware for Best Free File Copier as editor George.J, I will give a sneak peak to speed transfer tests that I have done.

Compared to my earlier testing, I have revised the testing procedure and done 2 tests with the first test recording the fastest time out of the two.

1. First phase of testing with 15 file copiers for Internal HDD to Internal HDD file transfers (one drive to another)
2. Second phase of testing with selected 6 file copiers for Flash drive to internal HDD and internal HDD to Flash drive transfers

a. Internal HDD to Internal HDD file transfers
Files used - 16,703 files (12.2 GB)
  • MP4 - 4 files - 2.04 GB
  • MP3 - 235 files - 2.11 GB
  • JPEG - 144 files - 2.00 GB
  • ISO - 1 file - 2.01 GB
  • EXE - 5 files - 2.04 GB
  • Game file - 16,214 files - 2.01 GB
b. Flash Drive to Internal HDD file transfers
Files used - 260 files (2.95GB)
  • MP4 - 2 files - 500 MB
  • MP3 - 45 files - 501 MB
  • JPEG - 28 files - 506 MB
  • ISO - 2 files - 509 MB
  • EXE - 2 files - 501 MB
  • Game file - 181 files - 504 MB
c. Internal HDD to Flash drive file transfers
Files used - 400 files (6.18 GB)
  • MP4 - 3 files - 1.13 GB
  • MP3 - 99 files - 1.00 GB
  • JPEG - 61 files - 1.00 GB
  • ISO - 3 files - 1.00 GB
  • EXE - 3 files - 1.03 GB
  • Game file - 231 files - 1.01 GB
Note UltraCopier was included in second phase only because it was one of the few copiers that gets regular updates (2020).

n7rszra.png

• Fastcopy performed the best for internal HDD file transfers and flash drive to Internal HDD file transfers
  • Interestingly Windows performed the best for internal HDD to flash drive transfers.

Last edited:

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
** Update ** Copy Handler 1.46 AND 1.50 Beta out! Home Page | Copy Handler @jackuars Perhaps you can retest with new versions(s)?

Copy Handler 1.46 and 1.50beta1 released

Fri, 2020/12/25 - 11:05
Yesterday evening I have released version 1.46 of Copy Handler that fixes 2 bugs related to explorer integration.
At the same time the first beta of CH 1.50 was uploaded that drops support for Windows XP and Vista, adds better handling of unattended operations, changes status dialogs (big and small) and features many other changes. Feel free to comment on the new version in our forum thread: Copy Handler 1.50 feedback

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
** Update ** Copy Handler 1.46 AND 1.50 Beta out! Home Page | Copy Handler @jackuars Perhaps you can retest with new versions(s)?

Copy Handler 1.46 and 1.50beta1 released

Fri, 2020/12/25 - 11:05
Yesterday evening I have released version 1.46 of Copy Handler that fixes 2 bugs related to explorer integration.
At the same time the first beta of CH 1.50 was uploaded that drops support for Windows XP and Vista, adds better handling of unattended operations, changes status dialogs (big and small) and features many other changes. Feel free to comment on the new version in our forum thread: Copy Handler 1.50 feedback
I wouldn't be able to, I have deleted all test files from my system by now, and mostly use Linux these days :p

ibay770

Nov 1, 2021
"BUT I don't like the extra hand holding, even with turning off confirmation it pops up a seperate window to ask where to copy the file to."
In FastCopy, go to Options->main settings->shell extension->Dont confirm in Copy(drag&drop). You can turn this setting on as All users/Admin (press elevate button on top right of FastCopy). Now use normal copy of Windows, and then right click FastCopy(paste)

"BTW I used copy handler and tweaked the buffer to 5 mb and i tested a 2.5 gb ISO that took Fast Copy 30 seconds and Copy Handler was taking 43 seconds. But now Copy Handler copied that same ISO in only 23 seconds ! "
Consecutive tries appear to be faster when copying same file across source and destination, that seemed unfair at times, so I had to do all testing in Shadow Defender and reboot when testing each software and clear cache. You can set buffer sizes across different copiers.

"Plus I am a geek about tweaking...so I can change the sound file alerts for copying with Copy Handler"
In FastCopy go to Options->Post-process(normal)->add/modify/del-> set your sound options. Here you can customize sound alerts to any notification sound/music you like, and even different sounds for normal/standby/hibernate/shutdown post process tasks.

I still haven't checked the feature set of copiers, this was simply speed comparison test. Other useful options in FastCopy i found
Options->Main settings->Estimate Finish time
Options->Main settings->Always show extended filter
Options->Main settings->I/O settings->Buffer (set according to personal preference)
Options->Main settings->Parallel running
Options->Main settings->At minimized->Run in task tray
Options->Same HDD/Diff HDD mode
You can also set the speed of file transfer using the slider on the main windows if you are doing OS intensive operations.

Performance also changed when using Kaspersky/Windows Defender as main antivirus for different file copiers. By the way tests aren't complete, plenty of other file copiers to test more.
For me, replacing windows copy is a must. Can fastcopy do that?

Leona12

Jul 26, 2023
Thanks for sharing your results with us. It's great to see that you've taken the time to test several file copiers and have narrowed it down to the most updated ones for your present testing.
I would recommend that you proceed with testing file copies on flash drives and network drives, as these are scenarios that users commonly encounter. It would also be interesting to see how the file copiers perform in these situations.
If you have the time and resources, it would be useful to test the other outdated file copiers on your list like SyncToy, as some users may still be using them. However, given that they haven't been updated in a while, it's possible that they may not perform as well as the more updated options. Also, you can test the nowadays available copy tools like Syncback, Gs Richcopy 360, Resilio, and Carbonite and give us the results.

Thanks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.