Could Antivirus products ... Spy on you?

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
This concern has been raised on MT particularly in connection with Chinese software.
http://malwaretips.com/threads/baidu-pc-faster-is-it-a-malware-malicious-software.27907/page-2
http://malwaretips.com/threads/av-c...-and-real-world-test.28272/page-2#post-208720
Qihoo 360, Kingsoft, Baidu, and Rising are mainland Chinese anti-viruses. I think there are one or two others.

Personally I am drastically less concerned about corporations compiling data on me than I am concerned about criminals and criminally inclined agencies of government such as the Internal Revenue Service, Obama's financial Gestapo.

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

Chromatinfish 123

Level 21
Verified
May 26, 2014
There was a test on antivirus trustworthiness- Emsisoft scored the highest with ESET not so far behind. Honestly, I would only trust anything that:

- Has been reviewed on PCMag
- Has been tested on some "independent" testing labs
- Detected Save on VirusTotal

(However, when it comes to actual antivirus capability, I would turn away from PCMag and "independent" testing labs- they might collect money to boost scores)

the unknwn

Level 1
Verified
Mar 8, 2015
baidu and qihoo that's why i dont install chinese av vendors although they use avira engine

H

hjlbx

I think the OP meant spying in the sense of surveillance for nefarious purposes...

Technically the answer is, Yes.

Here is an example:

They could monitor your system for the types of software you download and what is installed on your system ... and you would very likely be completely unawares. With this info they could do all manner of things - from selling that info to software marketing firms to providing those details its home-nation security agencies.

There really is no limit of what is possible...

There's a certain level of trust required of the user that an AV vendor will not do such a thing.

Reactions: Raul90
R

Ramona

Yes, they can spy. Read EULA and you will see many AV's spy on you, they don't care about you.

I don't know why people don't like chinese av vendors. I love Tencent and Qihoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: silversurfer

Alexstrasza

Level 4
Verified
Mar 18, 2015
There aren't any other reports on data transmission in AVs as far as I know... that one is the closest :)

If you ever find that other report, let me know.

Nirv5668

Level 2
Verified
Mar 21, 2015
Personally, I would rather an AV company spy on me to prevent other people spying on me...but I have always wondered why more people aren't concerned about AV companies. The NSA was revealed to be pretty much using every imaginable source to get information...except AV. I would be shocked if AV companies were not subjected to the same sorts of secret court orders (by various law enforcement) that VPNs, internet providers, search providers, e-mail etc. are. Meaning they turn over or start collecting data (ex: if they don't keep logs, a company can get court order to force them to start logging a particular user). I was waiting for this element during the whole Snowden thing, but nothing. However, having everyone start getting rid of AV after this sort of disclosure would be a disaster. Maybe law enforcement and intel agencies leave it alone for this reason. They have enough additional sources for information, but AV seems like a really good one because it has the ability to track everything.

Entreri

Level 7
Verified
May 25, 2015
Free AVs...if they an established reputation I would not be worried.

Kaspersky has found various NSA malware. Kaspersky is rated #1 in the world according to the independent testing labs for many years.

I would think the NSA has the best tools of any spy agency by far. The US is the high-tech king for a long time. I don'think the Chinese can ever take that particular crown away.

I personally would not trust these AVs from Chinese companies. They would need years of rock solid protection before I would ever consider buying a Chinese AV. Btw, these Chinese companies were caught cheating by the independent labs.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.