Baidu PC Faster : Is it a Malware/Malicious Software ?

Would you install Baidu PC Faster on your computer?

• Yes

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 86.7%

• Total voters
Product name
Baidu PC Faster
Pros
  • I was suppose to evaluate it
CONS
Bitdefender alerts about a malware
BOTTOM LINE
Is it another free malware/ jinkware

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Alright guys lets not jump to conclusions first of all it is NOT malware, it is listed on Softpedia as 100% clean and most major download sites that scan programs for malware. BitDefender should be ashamed for detecting a false positive from one of its competitors. BitDefender markets a similar product which is just as much junkware but charges you for it.
Baidu PC Faster is totally freeware, it is a system maintenance tool like Advanced SystemCare, Wise care 365, Glary Utilities, etc.

I agree. Bitdefender should be ashamed. Baidu is an anti-virus company, therefore a competitor of Bitdefender. I am totally sick of the cynical game of security companies detecting their competitors as malware. I have seen a lot of it.

I still believe in anti-viruses. But I am so weary of false positives. :mad: If somebody comes along and says "Such and such AV detects this program as malware", that doesn't prove anything to me. It is an incentive for research, not a final word. What do Virus Total, Jotti, Virscan, and Metascan say?

I want to ask more knowledgeable users, in all seriousness, how often do 1/42 detections on Virus Total turn out to be heroic rather than garbage? I know that a lone ClamAV detection on Jotti is a total joke.

Never trust BitDefender's detection: it is the biggest false positive king of the AV world.

Thank you for that, Littlebits. I'm always interested in hearing your opinion. :) Maybe you would be interested in this. When I ran Advanced System Care Ultimate with the Bitdefender engine on a one-month trial, I experienced refreshing relief from false positives. Now I run Roboscan with Bitdefender and its own engine. FPs are so far manageable. Could it be that Bitdefender behaves better when you're running it with another company that has rented its engine?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
Baidu PC Faster isn't malware, but if only you get it from trusted source ex : softpedia etc
Not sure if user get it from bundled software though, since I never try that, so I can't say for sure. Baidu PC faster is often bundled with other software, I think that's why BD detect it as dangerous file

I agree with the rest, just stick with ccleaner...especially when it comes to "registry repair"

Last edited:

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
This might sound weird and personal but Baidu PC Faster as any of their products are mediocre at best in terms of compiling, coding and as a program as a whole.
Obviously if it works for you i will not stop anyone from using Baidu branded software.
Fact is tho that there are numerous well developed and established programs out there that do a 100 times better job then Baidu ever could.
That being said in time Baidu "might" be a mature program but at this point i would not trust any of their software, and the main reason for it is that 99% is poorly ripped coding and even worse compiled software.
Professionally Baidu is on of the biggest problem giving software and that tiny bit of credibility it did have has gone out of the window.

Even tho its a multinational company the only market where they shine is Asia, and while Asia is producing increasingly better software that can match western counterparts, Most of it is still miles away from even mediocre western programs.
Not to mention the fact that Baidu has been connected to Chinese governmental spy operations and censorship in ways that surpass Google and its connections to the intelligence community. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baidu
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/as...overnment-warns-baidu-ime-is-spying-on-users/

My personal advise would be: Stay away from Baidu products!!!
You do not need it, it does not help you and there is so much more well rounded programs out there.

However do whatever you see fit, if it works for you then it does.

But recently i have talked to people from the industry as they are related to my work, and as we speak on the background there is a EU law being drafted that will BAN and stop some Asian software because of the very allegations that have circulated the internet.
Sure the same thing can be said about Google, MS and other western huge companies but NONE of them are targeting specific info in the way Asian software does.
Some programs are proven to be searching specifically for credit card, user and computer & passwords information and company data (vital) and several spiders have been engineered to penetrate webpages and other online services to have a copy of vital info.
Now i am not saying that this was Baidu and i am not saying its program X but what i am saying i did talk to over 15 people from the industry and they name: Baidu software and related companies as the biggest seemingly legit software that has build in info gathering technologies and advanced crawl capabilities.

Again whatever you do its up to you.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Thank you for sharing what you have heard about Baidu and that techrepublic link, n.nvt.

I have heard about Anvisoft being founded by a Chinese hacker, (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/29/anvisoft_chinese_intrigue/) and the Chinese hackers are believed to be working for the Communist Chinese government.

I really like my Kingsoft and IObit software. I hope there are no similar doubts about it.

Reactions: Malware1

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing what you have heard about Baidu and that techrepublic link, n.nvt.

I have heard about Anvisoft being founded by a Chinese hacker, (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/29/anvisoft_chinese_intrigue/) and the Chinese hackers are believed to be working for the Communist Chinese government.

I really like my Kingsoft and IObit software. I hope there are no similar doubts about it.

Well not all Asian software is bad, in fact some products are really good and that's great so no argue there.
But for example Baidu is one of China's biggest software companies similar to Google and Baidu is enjoying its time in a royal way.
Having Asia as your backyard will ensure you of a HUGE increasing market share that even mighty Google sooner or later cannot top anymore for the plain and simple reason in Asia there are to much people.
Then having a tech hungry culture with a modern communistic regime (democratic on the outside vs authoritarian on the inside) add a political power struggle with the west and noone to stop them within their own market almost guarantees software like Baidu to expand faster then a tsunami. And yes to the average user Baidu might be just fine but to a western company Baidu is a serious reason to monitor and expand security across online western networks, pages and sources.
And from a professional POV it is proven that 80% of Chinese software giants have been directly and indirectly linked to information gathering practices with the specific aim to steal as much as they can, and provide a platform where hackers and other GOV sponsored people can do their thing.

Now do not get me wrong, the NSA crap is bad enough, but if China is going to step up their activities then both EU and US will be over run by cyber attacks.
My point here is 5 years ago 4 out of 10 cyber attacks where directly linked to China/Asia and 2 out of 10 where directly successful or caused downtime / damage.
Today 8 out of 10 attacks are from Asian origin (China, NK, Vietnam and some others) and 6/7 out of 10 are directly successful and western security takes notice of the attacks weeks after the initial event.
That says something about the sophistication of the network within China to facilitate the criminal activities and their upgrading capacity in such short time and notable the skill and technological abilities used to side line western hardware and software security.
And that with only a fraction of the budget compared to Western companies and governments/military who spend combined over 800 Billion Euro a year on cyber security related hardware and software. Thats nearly a Trillion US dollar think about it.

The UK alone is spending 800 Million pounds on direct cyber security alone that's just the other layer, thats not counting the data centers and other infrastructure and layers..
While China's cyber budget is less then 10 billion dollar overall.
Thats one hell of a return ...
http://www.website-design.it/cyber-security-taskforce-launch/

So this points directly to the fact that for example US military & industry and EU/NATO critical networks are being penetrated every day, and that the information gathered even with the highest standards of security does not mean #####.
To a dedicated foe.

Even the US and EU combined do not have the capacity at this point to conduct such large wide scale attacks and be as successful as their Asian counterparts WHILE on paper US/EU has everything China could dream of.
And yes Baidu and similar giants are taking a HUGE role in this strategic information gathering on both sides.
Sure Flame, Stuxnet where both very successful but those where targeted attacks based upon a whole western continent working as one to collect all the data needed to engineer a billion dollar hack.
And to do this all kinds of legal things need to be taken care off, making the infrastructure ineffective compared to a Chinese government who openly pays and hires the brightest hackers on the world and give them a legal frame to work from by default and target ANY western network 24/7 while using only a fraction of the capabilities western companies use while yet being 10 times more effective.

For 50 years western media and governmental institutions have been boasting western superiority and capabilities, while true on paper it does not mean ##### on the internet.
And imo as a professional if EU, US does not start realizing that the internet is not limited to who has the most capability and neither does it stop with who is the strongest, economic, military and technology wise and more importantly a battle cannot be fought over the internet as every ping will echo at least twice. It will only be a matter of time till cheap Asian technology washes away the western daydream. And imo it does already do that economic and partly military wise.

So yes i am skeptical at best as i am being confronted every day with the scenario described above.

Last edited:

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Last edited by a moderator:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Well not all Asian software is bad, in fact some products are really good and that's great so no argue there.

...And from a professional POV it is proven that 80% of Chinese software giants have been directly and indirectly linked to information gathering practices with the specific aim to steal as much as they can, and provide a platform where hackers and other GOV sponsored people can do their thing.

Any information you are free to share on this would interest me greatly.

I just remembered Wise is also Chinese. And Qihoo. I was thinking about someday getting Qihoo 360 AV.

Last edited:

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Any information you are free to share on this would interest me greatly.

I just remembered Wise is also Chinese.

Well i just did provide a fair bit of info, and i have already gone side track the original topic.
Which was not my intention i just wanted to provide accurate info.

So ill say hit google.

cheers

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Well i just did provide a fair bit of info, and i have already gone side track the original topic.
Which was not my intention i just wanted to provide accurate info.

So ill say hit google.

cheers

Thanks, n.nvt.

If you feel uncomfortable getting a little off topic I invite you to start a new thread.

I would like you to name names about the 80% of Chinese software giants or direct us to those who do.

As far as Google, Google is in bed with Obama. I'm not an Obama voter, and Obama is not known for being tolerant of dissent. Witness such things as the IRS scandal, spying on James Rosen, and his unprecedented usurpation of legislative power when he doesn't get his way. I use DuckDuckGo. Google can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Thanks, n.nvt.

If you feel uncomfortable getting a little off topic I invite you to start a new thread.

I would like you to name names about the 80% of Chinese software giants or direct us to those who do.

As far as Google, Google is in bed with Obama. I'm not an Obama voter, and Obama is not known for being tolerant of dissent. Witness such things as the IRS scandal, spying on James Rosen, and his unprecedented usurpation of legislative power when he doesn't get his way. I use DuckDuckGo. Google can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Well its not that i am feeling bad about going off-topic, but i really do not feel like writing another post regarding something which is public knowledge.
Any bit of research using Google will provide so much info that you will get a clear picture.

As for Google going to hell, i have to agree and i would very much like Facebook, MS, Yahoo and those giants to follow.
However why trade one evil for a bigger evil? At least with Google i know i am going to be F***ed lol.

phyniks

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Nov 17, 2013
On Wilderssecurity someone said something which can be the cause of the report by Vaksin.com.

There are some installers banded with the setup files which are Adwares(PUPS) according to antimalware vendors.

for example,My ESET warns and blocks some files I download via Softonic (and sometimes CNET).It says the installer file has an adware.but downloading the standalone setupfile,it is clean according to ESET.

In this case,the file is along with Blue Stack wizard,maybe thats the cause.

Checking the standalone Baidu's PCF setup file on VirusTotal shows it is clean.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Baidu PC faster works well, clean more then CCleaner. But i hope they removed their antivirus from PC Faster since it's really not needed :D
Edit : sorry, didn't like it. Leaves too much running process even i close Baidu PC Faster & i need to manually end their process.

Last edited:

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Lol, I guess someone downloaded it from an untrusted source. Baidu is a 100% clean product.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
IObit was stealing Malwarebytes database.

Their uninstaller is still top notch.
On Wilderssecurity someone said something which can be the cause of the report by Vaksin.com.

There are some installers banded with the setup files which are Adwares(PUPS) according to antimalware vendors.

for example,My ESET warns and blocks some files I download via Softonic (and sometimes CNET).It says the installer file has an adware.but downloading the standalone setupfile,it is clean according to ESET.

In this case,the file is along with Blue Stack wizard,maybe thats the cause.

Checking the standalone Baidu's PCF setup file on VirusTotal shows it is clean.

That's because CNET and Softonic shoves you with bundled softwares along with the product you download.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Baidu is adware. And it is malicious. Those things cannot be questioned if you have eyes to see. Why?

Baidu PC Faster, for example, will:

- trick the user into installing new applications by camouflaging them as updates to existing programs (via PC AppStore)
- display random ads

Baidu Antivirus, PC Faster, and other Baidu products will:

- trick the user into installing them via bundled installers that come with downloaded programs from famous web portals

I was at the mall months ago checking out computers to buy, and many of the computers that were on display, and therefore were used by random people all the time, had Baidu in them. How did it get there? People don't download Baidu out of their own volition (except PC enthusiasts, etc). But Baidu somehow pops up on so many PCs.

Now maybe they're doing this just because they know the average user is going to install crap anyway, so they just want to be there to protect you, you know? Or... they realize they can gather a lot of info by spreading like... guys what's the name again of that thing that spreads into computers without user consent?

I don't know if n.nvt is right 100%, but I do know Baidu uses guerrilla tactics to get what they want, and that's telling me a lot right now.

Reactions: conceptualclarity

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Baidu is adware. And it is malicious. Those things cannot be questioned if you have eyes to see. Why?

Baidu PC Faster, for example, will:

- trick the user into installing new applications by camouflaging them as updates to existing programs (via PC AppStore)
- display random ads

Baidu Antivirus, PC Faster, and other Baidu products will:

- trick the user into installing them via bundled installers that come with downloaded programs from famous web portals

I was at the mall months ago checking out computers to buy, and many of the computers that were on display, and therefore were used by random people all the time, had Baidu in them. How did it get there? People don't download Baidu out of their own volition (except PC enthusiasts, etc). But Baidu somehow pops up on so many PCs.

Now maybe they're doing this just because they know the average user is going to install crap anyway, so they just want to be there to protect you, you know? Or... they realize they can gather a lot of info by spreading like... guys what's the name again of that thing that spreads into computers without user consent?

I don't know if n.nvt is right 100%, but I do know Baidu uses guerrilla tactics to get what they want, and that's telling me a lot right now.

I don't get where you make claims like this. So CCleaner, Avast and Google Chrome is adware and malicious, because the former two recommends you to install Chrome on your system?

Atleast the installer of Baidu PC Faster is squeaky clean and it doesn't recommend you other products. It doesn't display ads on the user interface too.

The App Store is optional, it just links you to various programs that you may install for specific purposes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oxygen

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I don't get where you make claims like this. So CCleaner, Avast and Google Chrome is adware and malicious, because the former two recommends you to install Chrome on your system?

Atleast the installer of Baidu PC Faster is squeaky clean and it doesn't recommend you other products. It doesn't display ads on the user interface too.

The App Store is optional, it just links you to various programs that you may install for specific purposes.
I think you need to read what I wrote again.

Baidu TRICKS users. The bundled installers they use try to trick the users into installing their products. I need you to realize that there are various types of bundled installers. Some are malicious (they try to trick users, I don't care if it's to install Chrome or a virus, the difference to me is only that one is more malicious than the other, but both are malicious if they tricked the user), and some are not.

Baidu uses tricks such as: attempting to camouflage the "Uninstall" button of their applications' uninstallers, or the "Decline" options of their programs in the bundled installers, by greying out the referred buttons, or otherwise attempting to make the user miss them; they also camouflage the "Agree" buttons to appear as if they belonged to the main installation, etc. This kind of method is very different from clearly descriptive bundled installers where the options are all laid out in a way you immediately understand, and which works as you would expect without any trickery.

PC Faster's setup does not need to include anything else because it will show ads for games and assorted programs anyway after it's installed. It will also (again) try to TRICK users into installing new applications, by pretending they're updates to existing applications. And the AppStore is NOT optional. It may seem optional, but as with all things Baidu, "optional" means "we will make that decision for you". AppStore is installed automatically by PC Faster whether you want it or not.

I hope I made myself clear this time.

Reactions: conceptualclarity

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.