Baidu PC Faster : Is it a Malware/Malicious Software ?

Would you install Baidu PC Faster on your computer?

• Yes

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 86.7%

• Total voters
Product name
Baidu PC Faster
Pros
  • I was suppose to evaluate it
CONS
Bitdefender alerts about a malware
BOTTOM LINE
Is it another free malware/ jinkware

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Baidu TRICKS users. The bundled installers they use try to trick the users into installing their products.

Baidu uses tricks such as: attempting to camouflage the "Uninstall" button of their applications' uninstallers, or the "Decline" options of their programs in the bundled installers, by greying out the referred buttons, or otherwise attempting to make the user miss them; they also camouflage the "Agree" buttons to appear as if they belonged to the main installation, etc. This kind of method is very different from clearly descriptive bundled installers where the options are all laid out in a way you immediately understand, and which works as you would expect without any trickery.

I'm unable to see what you're talking, the only product that I just downloaded that of Baidu's right now is PC faster. I think you need to try out the latest version of PC Faster

1. The Uninstall button is not camouflaged. During Uninstall all it asked for me is that would I like to clean up the junk files on my PC, cauz I didn't do anything after installing the program. If you don't want that, just uninstall.

sUoJU8P.png

PC Faster's setup does not need to include anything else because it will show ads for games and assorted programs anyway after it's installed. It will also (again) try to TRICK users into installing new applications, by pretending they're updates to existing applications. And the AppStore is NOT optional. It may seem optional, but as with all things Baidu, "optional" means "we will make that decision for you". AppStore is installed automatically by PC Faster whether you want it or not.

I hope I made myself clear this time.

2. The interface is clean, there aren't any ads. I wasn't asked to install any new application. There isn't a software updater included to check for updates to installed programs.

fnbxeEo.png

The App-store component is a part of Baidu PC faster and is installed when the computer is connected to internet, and is not provided along with the package. You may wish to use App-Store or not, only if you launch it from the interface.

Only when you do launch the App store, it'll show you various software programs and the ones that you've installed on your PC and then check if there's any updates to the one's you have installed, and it was pretty accurate too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sr. Normal
R

RevolutionSphere

I highy doubt its malware, Bitdefender is known for flaging safe things, its most likely a false positive.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I'm unable to see what you're talking, the only product that I just downloaded that of Baidu's right now is PC faster. I think you need to try out the latest version of PC Faster

1. The Uninstall button is not camouflaged. During Uninstall all it asked for me is that would I like to clean up the junk files on my PC, cauz I didn't do anything after installing the program. If you don't want that, just uninstall.

sUoJU8P.png

2. The interface is clean, there aren't any ads. I wasn't asked to install any new application. There isn't a software updater included to check for updates to installed programs.

fnbxeEo.png

The App-store component is a part of Baidu PC faster and is installed when the computer is connected to internet, and is not provided along with the package. You may wish to use App-Store or not, only if you launch it from the interface.
That uninstall button is not camouflaged, but I have seen different cases, for example with Baidu Antivirus.

When I meant the UI was confusing, I was talking about the layout of some installers/uninstallers made specially to confuse and trick users.

I did test the latest beta. I did not manually install AppStore. I also configured it to be all manual instead of automatic wherever I could. However, I didn't have to wait much for a mysterious popup to appear in my desktop, apparently promoting a game. That is not to mention that Line and Ares were among the recommended updates from AppStore even though I don't have those programs installed. AppStore will also be monitoring your apps and sharing their info with Baidu whether you want the features of AppStore or not, because it runs as a service alongside PC Faster.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I did test the latest beta. I did not manually install AppStore. I also configured it to be all manual instead of automatic wherever I could. However, I didn't have to wait much for a mysterious popup to appear in my desktop, apparently promoting a game. That is not to mention that Line and Ares were among the recommended updates from AppStore even though I don't have those programs installed. AppStore will also be monitoring your apps and sharing their info with Baidu whether you want the features of AppStore or not, because it runs as a service alongside PC Faster.

I didn't get a game promotion, probably i should use it longer to know if that's true. But I think you might need to see that if it's true with the latest stable version.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I didn't get a game promotion, probably i should use it longer to know if that's true. But I think you might need to see that if it's true with the latest stable version.
The point is Baidu have done enough to prove they use the same methods that malwares use.

Just take a quick look at Hao123, which belongs to Baidu, if all the proof I've already provided isn't enough for you:

http://en.hao123.com/about.html#about
About Hao123

Hao123 was acquired in 1999 by Baidu, the world's leading Chinese search engine. Hao123 has continuously strived to provide a faster and more accessible way for users to find what they are looking for on the internet.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-hao123-virus/

http://malwaretips.com/threads/need-help-in-removing-hao123-com-homepage.31585/

Reactions: Peculi and Moose

vrb93

Level 5
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
IMO, no one of baidu products is safe, and i will not try/test/suggest them no more to anyone.

Here an example. I installed their AV for performance testing, then trying to remove it.
Results: clicking on uninstall by CCleaner or IoBit Uninstaller make them BOTH suddenly crash without starting the uninstalling process.
Only via control panel i managed to remove it.

Their policy is aggressive and unfair and users should avoid them.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
IMO, no one of baidu products is safe, and i will not try/test/suggest them no more to anyone.

Here an example. I installed their AV for performance testing, then trying to remove it.
Results: clicking on uninstall by CCleaner or IoBit Uninstaller make them BOTH suddenly crash without starting the uninstalling process.
Only via control panel i managed to remove it.

Their policy is aggressive and unfair and users should avoid them.

You should **never remove** an antivirus using an external uninstaller utility. Only use Control Panel for the same.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
IOBit Uninstaller is very good, but a real pain to completely remove after you are finish with it.

"You should **never remove** an antivirus using an external uninstaller utility. Only use Control Panel for the same."
Accept ion Comodo Firewall and Anti-virus,you need some kind of Uninstaller to remove their software.

Kind regards,;)

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
IOBit Uninstaller is very good, but a real pain to completely remove after you are finish with it.

"You should **never remove** an antivirus using an external uninstaller utility. Only use Control Panel for the same."
Accept ion Comodo Firewall and Anti-virus,you need some kind of Uninstaller to remove their software.

Kind regards,;)

Yup IOBit did something right with their uninstaller utility. It's great...

Reactions: frogboy

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
I will not say it is a malware but it has unethical behavior, fun part is that Baidu is Avira Partner. (Download Avira Free with Baidu PC Faster Bundle)

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Looks interesting will check it out at some stage.(on a test machine just for kicks)

As for sneaky Chinese software given away free so as to pilfer your personal data i.e. laundry and shopping lists, on the sly. I mean come on you could say that about any free western product as well.Maybe they`re just extra pushy and freaking annoying than underhand.

Look at the great results Kingsoft av(Chinese version) on Virus Bulletin or what about one of the best classical HIPS ever,imo,Malware Defender given away free.....great Chinese software.

Maybe Bitdefender is deliberatly targeting a free product thats better than their own paid version.

I would steer clear of any system optimiser/registry cleaner bar Ccleaner.

Regards Eck:)

Last edited:

kiraku

Oct 3, 2014
Amuse by so many ignorance here. XD

Yes, baidu 's product 're all malware it act as virus and mostly install in your pc without your permission.

Gladly that cp able to remove it now, since make a company and try to be a good guy, even sigh some contract with Asus.
At first it even more hard to remove. - -

back there I got request about 3 times a week for clean up baidu stuff from pcs in my host company.
Actually I made pretty much $$$ form it, I pretty love it that time.

Yes it can do some cleaning, any cleaner software could do that. (make a cleaning program 's not so hard anyways)

But, it build for advertisement perpose so it will keep download some trash from its server, and slow down the internet.
also change your homepage to baidu and starter page to baidu(when you open web browser new tab.)
this place still hard for a newby to remove.

and also with performance test(outside baidu and asus company) pc with baidu 're slower than normal.

Do you really trust the program from a country that made chicken egg with plastic - -

Last edited by a moderator:

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Amuse by so many ignorance here. XD

Yes, baidu 's product 're all malware it act as virus and mostly install in your pc without your permission.

Gladly that cp able to remove it now, since make a company and try to be a good guy, even sigh some contract with Asus.
At first it even more hard to remove. - -

back there I got request about 3 times a week for clean up baidu stuff from pcs in my host company.
Actually I made pretty much $$$ form it, I pretty love it that time.

Yes it can do some cleaning, any cleaner software could do that. (make a cleaning program 's not so hard anyways)

But, it build for advertisement perpose so it will keep download some trash from its server, and slow down the internet.
also change your homepage to baidu and starter page to baidu(when you open web browser new tab.)
this place still hard for a newby to remove.

and also with performance test(outside baidu and asus company) pc with baidu 're slower than normal.

Do you really trust the program from a country that made chicken egg with plastic - -

Hmmm first of all welcome to MT, secondly this is your very first post and it is by far not the best one i have seen and neither does it contribute anything here.
So we as a community are going to disregard it.
And for you i suggest you try to make a fresh start, how about introducing yourself?

Kind Regards
Nico

kiraku

Oct 3, 2014
Thanks for your welcome.

I just come to giving the information anyways.

And I wish my experience would useful, if you don't believe go ahead and test it yourself.

Best regard
Kiraku

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Hmmm first of all welcome to MT, secondly this is your very first post and it is by far not the best one i have seen and neither does it contribute anything here.
So we as a community are going to disregard it.
And for you i suggest you try to make a fresh start, how about introducing yourself?

Kind Regards
Nico
(emphasis added)

Is this for real? I will not even at this point debate my opinion versus yours, because first I fell I must remind you that your choice to disregard the referenced post is yours only and does not represent us as a community.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.