Could Antivirus products ... Spy on you?

Sasa

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Sep 1, 2014
Why antivirus programs couldn't take advantage of their trusted status to steal personal data and generally spy on you?

Your antivirus occupies an exalted position of trust. It's allowed to look at all your files, communicate with its home base, and more. What if it abused that trust to spy on you? Could that happen?

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Www.howtogeek.com just did a writeup of Avast doing a information gathering of their customers browsing and in order to provide relevant ads to them. This was implemented poorly,and they made it more transparent when caught out. Now you have to opt in to this shopping sites recomendation. Avast wrote a rebuttal and the link is in howtogeeks article. Also,Verizon has been spying on their customers as well,and @kennwhite on twitter did the research,but several write ups have been done on this subject revealed just a few days ago. Contact me and I will digg up to links for articles.

Striker

Level 7
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
If u want privacy, disconnect from the internet. U have no other chance. And sure, avs can spy on you deeply. u just need to trust the company and dont be paranoid. One of the best av vendors are Emsisoft/Eset when it comes to privacy. For me, i have no problem that anyone spying on me, have nothing ilegal done yet and dont want to. So if they are happy to look wich website i use or what i do with my laptop, well they can be happy, i dont care. u dont even know what inside a laptop/pc is that can spy on u. I read something that some laptop vendors can use the cam without u know it, that are things that scars my way more.

Striker

Level 7
Verified
Mar 27, 2013
It's wise to assume yo're not safe on the internet. So it's better to say don't give a d*m* for your privacy :D

If Avast can do it, anyone else can.
Any source that avast spy on users? if u mean the report like 2 weeks ago, Avast have well explain it on a statement. that wasnt spying on users.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Any source that avast spy on users? if u mean the report like 2 weeks ago, Avast have well explain it on a statement. that wasnt spying on users.

The article at HowToGeeks was updated, but it doesn't say that all Avast's claims is true.

When products use cloud technologies, you never know what's been collected and how it's been used. And who reads' privacy policy every single day?

Reactions: Kent

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
I had posted another question in a differnt thread about "cleanmaster" and went back to dig up my original research.

Back around the end of July or beginning of August this year (2014) Cleanmaster was PULLED FROM PLAYSTORE for a short bit because they were stealing all kinds of personal information. The article was on Readit and Android Central. The author gives their changelog for that update. I think it was Google that pulled it,but they made corrections rather quickly. The best thing to do,is always research the app you want to download. Read true reviews,go online and search for more reviews. Visit their website, and ALWAYS READ PERMISSIONS,

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

neapo

Level 1
Verified
Sep 29, 2014
If u want privacy, disconnect from the internet. U have no other chance. And sure, avs can spy on you deeply. u just need to trust the company and dont be paranoid. One of the best av vendors are Emsisoft/Eset when it comes to privacy. For me, i have no problem that anyone spying on me, have nothing ilegal done yet and dont want to. So if they are happy to look wich website i use or what i do with my laptop, well they can be happy, i dont care. u dont even know what inside a laptop/pc is that can spy on u. I read something that some laptop vendors can use the cam without u know it, that are things that scars my way more.

Think again, you and other mind wise like you:

HackedPC2012.png

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
it's like watchman will rob the home, without letting home owner know about :p

Reactions: Sasa

rambutan

Level 1
Verified
Oct 28, 2014
everyone is doing a business .. , the biggest business today is data collecting, more companies will pay more $$$ to promotes their products directly into your email and browsers :cool:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
There's an instance on spying depends on how those functions works on data transmission, privacy policy will be the basis of the claimed data.

Example: Asking to send files for further investigations/ checking is already a bit expose to your privacy.

Reactions: scot and Sasa

Dubseven

Level 14
Verified
Aug 12, 2013
Companies + User Data = $

An user that is looking, for example, for a TV, will see lot of Ads on Facebook, and visited sites, ads of promotions on TVs.
Everything is about target.

Companies target interested users by them products to sell more.
This is made lot of times with cookies. I'm not sure that any antivirus company does this but it's one of the method of using collected data from users.

Maximum

Level 1
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Awhile back I heard something about avast! installing a Toolbar on peoples PCs so they could track them, So I guess anything is possible.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Could they?
Yes, I think so.

Do they?
I don't know. That's up to everyone to decide.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.