Could Ransomwares infect my other PCs using my MS account?

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Hi everyone,

i'd like to test Cryptoprevent against ransomwares on a netbook that i don't use anymore.

the device is not connected to others. but I have to use my MS account on it(the same account I use on the other devices) in order to receive W10 insiders previews.

so, maybe the question will sound stupid to you, but I am not an expert: could randomwares use in someway my MS account to infect my other devices??? even I turn off the sync? (and wht if i did not turn off the sync?)

or viruses in general (not only ransomwares)

I'd really appreciate if you could provide help

looking forward to hearing from you

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Dirk- No way that is a stupid question, and actually is quite topical. The best answer is Yes and No That which is the ransomware encryptor won't steal you password data by itself; however things can be packaged with the ransomware that surely can and will.

A recent example of this is some of the CryptXXX infection routines that can be seen. Delivered from infected webpages by either the Angler or Hunter exploit kits, the malware will also deliver a variant of the Pony infostealer (a morphed version derived from the pony Botnet that caused quite a stir a few years back). Personally I think it's only a matter of time until Pony is replaced by the Tofsee stealer/bot which is more elegantly coded.

In short, the answer is that your credentials can be be stolen depending on how lucky (or unlucky) you are in the choice of malware samples run. And remember the basic rules of malware testing- No personal data on the sacrificial system and absolutely no network shares!

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
thank you very much, so maybe it is better to test using w7 that does not require an account

furthermore w10 has also onedrive..who knows if the viruses /ransom can use it to pass

better to use w7

Last edited:

Dirk41

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Ransomware can encrypt your local OneDrive files and then Windows will sync them with your MS Account\OneDrive.

Yeah I know ransomware encrypt cloud too, thank you.. But if I have no local files and I disable onedrive ?

The virus / ransomware can't upload itself on the cloud and then download itself on another device right?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
To my knowledge, it does not bounce like that, (yet).
I would focus on Windows 10, but don't use the MS account to log in.
The MS login option is not the only option.
PeAcE

Reactions: Dirk41

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Remember that many ransomware have already embedded the functionality to self-replicate and propagate from networking drives or throughout the connected network nearby.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.