Question Random Account Connected to my Microsoft account! Is this normal?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

BSONE

Level 1
Feb 17, 2024
Within my Outlook account I see this:

I only have 1 Microsoft account and it appears there’s two entries here. One with my actual outlook email and one with a random one. If I click sign in on the other one nothing happens. Is this something to be concerned about? Could a hacker be manipulating my email accounts?
I think you are having an anxiety attack again, not a Cyber hack.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
Is there any way to check if my outlook is being synced to external accounts, or what about gmail?

Victor M

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
@Xeno1234 , I wouldn't share an email account with anyone, you shouldn't too. If your dad doesn't want to enable 2FA, then you should get your own account and set that one up with 2FA. You have to protect yourself first and foremost. If he doesn't care about being hacked or staying secure, then it's his loss, let him deal with his security problem when his account gets hacked again. Set up your own email account and enable 2FA. You are old enough to have your own separate email account. I have never made my son share an email account with me, I don't think I need to baby sit him. And I would have scolded him if he didn't setup 2FA.

• Hundred Points
Reactions: Azazel

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Is there any way to check if my outlook is being synced to external accounts, or what about gmail?
You can have a look at your sign in activity here, which displays as well account syncs:

Generally, if you got 2FA activated via an authenticator app, it is highly unlikely that someone will use your account. You can also change password and suspend all active sessions.

Last edited:
  • Applause
Reactions: vtqhtr413

Azazel

Level 5
Jun 15, 2023
1. Create a new Microsoft or Gmail accounts
2. Move all of your online accounts there.
3. Remove the older email account from your father.
4. Enable 2fa. Without it you are NOT secure. That's a fact.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
1. Create a new Microsoft or Gmail accounts
2. Move all of your online accounts there.
3. Remove the older email account from your father.
4. Enable 2fa. Without it you are NOT secure. That's a fact.
I will eventually make new Gmail accounts. Microsoft has all my game progress associated in terms of Xbox, I don’t see how I could transfer that and it would be a pain. Nothing has happened to my accounts, nothing stolen or anything.

I must ask: What if I forget non important accounts, and don’t enable them or check them. Many of my accounts I do not use and are not important and I don’t have the time to transfer 80 accounts and reset all the passwords and make sure they’re secure when I use 5.

2FA is on my important accounts. I need to move it over to authenticator codes eventually instead of email and SMS.

I also should ask in terms of hacking: if nothing is happening should I be worried? My accounts aren’t being stolen, I’ve not noticed suspicious activity in terms of things being done except for me being signed out of my Spotify account recently.

Last edited:

Xeno1234

Level 14
Thread author
Jun 12, 2023
Currently making a new google account.

Do you all know if it is possible to transfer Xbox games and progress from one Microsoft account to another?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.