Not open for further replies.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
:welcomewave:

I want to compare CPU of Intel and AMD to each other.
Which one is your preference and why?

P

Plexx

Laptops = Intel for sure, specially if you can get on a QM i7.

Desktops = depends on the user and the needs for the rig. Gaming Rig can be good with either one.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
House_maniac said:
i choose amd because i like amd i just wish it closes the gap with intel :)

They won't sadly; bulldozer was amd's best card and it it's performance almost as the previous generation in some cases. AMD should have continued with Phenom, shrink it, add more cores, and add new instructions.

The only advantage AMD has is their gpu that is in their APU othwerwise. If Intel had nvidia as gpu then AMD would be screwed.

It's sad but that how it is.

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
Valentin N said:
House_maniac said:

They won't sadly; bulldozer was amd's best card and it it's performance almost as the previous generation in some cases. AMD should have continued with Phenom, shrink it, add more cores, and add new instructions.

The only advantage AMD has is their gpu that is in their APU othwerwise. If Intel had nvidia as gpu then AMD would be screwed.

yea i have a phenomII x4 945 its good i'm waiting for them to create something which can compete with intel then i may buy another processor till now i'll stick to my phenom i won't be able to buy intel as it would be like cheating im a die hard amd fan :) may be they will create something better after the failed attempt with bulldozer.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
House_maniac said:
Valentin N said:
House_maniac said:

yea i have a phenomII x4 945 its good i'm waiting for them to create something which can compete with intel then i may buy another processor till now i'll stick to my phenom i won't be able to buy intel as it would be like cheating im a die hard amd fan :) may be they will create something better after the failed attempt with bulldozer.

The more you wait the more you will realize that intel is better choice; in a few years intel will give us 10nm cpu that might where the extreme edition will use 50W and with an enchanted tri-gate.

Don't take me as a intel fan boy but intel is better and has been since duo2 has been launched and also performance/core.

My i7-2630qm performace some benchmark better than Phenom II 6X T1100 (45w as max(my one uses 40W) - 130W).

Sometimes it's better if you buy something more expensive but it will in the end last longer and you lower the Wats.

iScream

Dec 7, 2011
Intel. I have AMD but I'm not fan of it. Friends with similar clock intels get better performance, some games lag for no reason.
Also Bulldozer? Intel beats it with 4 cores...
My opinion is: AMD = cheaper, but worse too

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
iScream said:
Intel. I have AMD but I'm not fan of it. Friends with similar clock intels get better performance, some games lag for no reason.
Also Bulldozer? Intel beats it with 4 cores...
My opinion is: AMD = cheaper, but worse too

That a quadcore with four thread beats a octa core (AMD insists on that's a octacore) in most benchmark is actually a joke. When haswell is out it wouldn't surprise me if and a qm intel cpu sweeps the floor with bulldozer. AMD should have added a few more components in the cores. I really wonder where AMD got that 80% boost that they presented once compared to intel's HT with 15% boost.

I don't mind that AMD has another technique but bulldozer is really a flop that uses a lot for energy (up 130W) where intel's uses 70w as max. I really hoped bulldozer would show what competition is all about.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
pcjunklist said:
you can't even really say AMD wins with price because an Intel i3 2-core can outperform a 6-core AMD Bulldozer and with a lower TDP.

I agree with you since intel are becoming cheaper and more energy efficient. AMD FX-6 is like Phenom II 6. Now, I haven't looked at any comparison but it wouldn't surprise me. If AMD only admitted that one module is a cpu core than it would be a different story. We will see what happens.

Slightly of topic but interesting: TDP doesn't show the actual usage (Watts) of a cpu but it tells you: if the cpu cooler can handle the certain amount of TDP the cpu won't overheat. With that said the cpu surely draws lower amount of max W than indicated TDP value. I once looked the Watt-usage from and i7-2600k at full load and it was 70. Impressive

Nathan Wootton

Level 1
May 25, 2011
Bulldozer was a flop! they built so much hype to it calling it the "Intel killer" and all that nonsense an Amd Phenom II x4 9** outperforms its on performance tests, Intel in my opinion has all way's outperformed Amd since as i can remember anyway , i just pick amd over intel because its suites me I.e budget wise

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Nathan Wootton said:
Bulldozer was a flop! they built so much hype to it calling it the "Intel killer" and all that nonsense an Amd Phenom II x4 9** outperforms its on performance tests, Intel in my opinion has all way's outperformed Amd since as i can remember anyway , i just pick amd over intel because its suites me I.e budget wise

They are cheaper but intel's cpu uses so little energy, it will at least, and it's definitely worth the money even if it's more expensive. This goes especially for making the businesses. Ivy-bridge i5(desktop cpu!) are 45W TDP. Haswell wil shrink that value once again when it's out and will do it once again when brodwell is in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.