Advice Request "Create rules for safe applications"

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoseyWales

Level 1
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
Steel- Comodo, like almost everyone here, HATES data being collected about you without your knowledge (wether the exe is signed or not). But Comodo, unlike other security products actually alerts you to this (Gotta love it!!!!).
Agree 100% on all points mentioned. But advice was given to me more than a decade ago to stay away from any torrent at all costs. And to this day, I'm quite certain all users of a torrent are simply asking for trouble, allowing their greed to override their common sense.

Reactions: vtqhtr413 and AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
@steel9...my impression of the firewall element of Comodo 10 (after 2.5 years now) is that it blocks everything at least once when in Proactive and the firewall set to Safe Mode. At this point you can make your choice to Allow and remember if you wish. When you allow and remember an allow rule will be set up by the program automatically. Not sure what happens with the other modes for the firewall. If you want Comodo trusted applications to be allowed, I believe the "create rules for safe applications" setting will generate automatically allow rules...as you pointed out earlier was happening on your PC.

Otherwise, the Comodo Firewall is basically dumb. By comparison, Bullguard or ESET or Kaspersky will give you alerts and detailed information on port scanning attempts and also many other events. Comodo blocks them too, but it doesn't scan its logs to let you know when one happens. It's a mechanical firewall that is really very good overall, considering it doesn't monitor for network attacks...just blocks them by default.

Hope you have been able to settle on satisfactory settings. Comodo is still rock solid for me...:)

JoseyWales

Level 1
Verified
Jul 23, 2018
The last time I used ZoneAlarm, I set the firewall to deny access for alot of files it scans during its installation steps...and I add files and services I wish to deny accessing the internet. Then I set the notifications I wish to see for events that happen and which events I choose to keep a log of. ZA displays a nice small rectangular box in the lower left showing me how Steamreporter and Steamwebhelper make 10 attempts at different ports and all attempts fail to connect. That's what I liked about ZA, its ease of setup- Im not saying its brute force capable of competing w/Comodo...just saying that ZA will always be one of my fondest FW apps to start with or fall back on. And there's no denying that ZA can handle ransomware attacks with ease, out-distancing the other big names (at least at present)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.