Creating VT Wait "Quote" File tester

Mr.NoName

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2016
Hello so i don't really know is this is the place for this post but i don't know where else to post it !
so i have an idea about VT file tester like it will be open source and can be used in many things ...
but i need someone that is known with the VT API so i can make the main idea in the little tester program ...
I am not AV developer or something like that this is for all of ushers and consumers that really need some advice form the biggest in the security teams so that's why i am get started of building an open source Program for every usher so he or she can test all if the files that they want in the program .
i need to make the first thing and it is file Quote like when he/she add more than 1 file lets say 53 the program start to scan and give results to the usher and when the first file is scanned and analysed form the API and the website the program need to send the next file and so on. if you have some coding advice i am here to listen !

i found the VT API over the net : Public API version 2.0 - VirusTotal

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hello so i don't really know is this is the place for this post but i don't know where else to post it !
so i have an idea about VT file tester like it will be open source and can be used in many things ...
but i need someone that is known with the VT API so i can make the main idea in the little tester program ...
I am not AV developer or something like that this is for all of ushers and consumers that really need some advice form the biggest in the security teams so that's why i am get started of building an open source Program for every usher so he or she can test all if the files that they want in the program .
i need to make the first thing and it is file Quote like when he/she add more than 1 file lets say 53 the program start to scan and give results to the usher and when the first file is scanned and analysed form the API and the website the program need to send the next file and so on. if you have some coding advice i am here to listen !

i found the VT API over the net : Public API version 2.0 - VirusTotal
In what language do you want to write your program?

Will it test only files or also URLs?

Mr.NoName

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2016
In what language do you want to write your program?

Will it test only files or also URLs?
yes i will include the website scanner and even more some simple scanner for unknown threats !

and yes i forgot the writing language : is C#.net

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
yes i will include the website scanner and even more some simple scanner for unknown threats !

and yes i forgot the writing language : is C#.net
Then I would start with implementing the API system, remember that with the free API you will be able to scan 4 files/minute.
For URLs scanning you could also add heuristic scan.
You want to develop something like that: VirusTotal Windows Uploader - VirusTotal right?

Mr.NoName

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2016
Then I would start with implementing the API system, remember that with the free API you will be able to scan 4 files/minute.
For URLs scanning you could also add heuristic scan.
You want to develop something like that: VirusTotal Windows Uploader - VirusTotal right?
yes something like that so every usher can upload as many file he want and every each of them will be scanned
and the idea about URL or website scanner is good i can try with that
but is there any problem so that will be open source because i want like every other ti have access to it and use it if they want!
Ow and why we can upload only 4 files

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
yes something like that so every usher can upload as many file he want and every each of them will be scanned
For implement an on-demand file scan system it wouldn't be so difficult; start with gather hashes of file(s), I recommend to get MD5 of files to scan.

Code:
protected string GetMD5HashFromFile(string fileName)
{
  using (var md5 = MD5.Create())
  {
    using (var stream = File.OpenRead(filename))
    {
      return BitConverter.ToString(md5.ComputeHash(stream)).Replace("-",string.Empty);
    }
  }
}

Source: How to Calculate MD5 Checksum for a File

Then maybe create a list with antivirus detections, options/settings feature, and the possibility to create a log file of the report(s).
Maybe add also the possibility to rescan the file if it was already scanned, this would be useful to have always the latest reports.

I recommend you to add also a sort of heuristic/hash based engine as a secondary engine, made by you.

Reactions: frogboy

Mr.NoName

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2016
For implement an on-demand file scan system it wouldn't be so difficult; start with gather hashes of file(s), I recommend to get MD5 of files to scan.

Code:
protected string GetMD5HashFromFile(string fileName)
{
  using (var md5 = MD5.Create())
  {
    using (var stream = File.OpenRead(filename))
    {
      return BitConverter.ToString(md5.ComputeHash(stream)).Replace("-",string.Empty);
    }
  }
}

Source: How to Calculate MD5 Checksum for a File

Then maybe create a list with antivirus detections, options/settings feature, and the possibility to create a log file of the report(s).
Maybe add also the possibility to rescan the file if it was already scanned, this would be useful to have always the latest reports.

I recommend you to add also a sort of heuristic/hash based engine as a secondary engine, made by you.
thanks but how to make the VT Multi file uploader

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.