Creators Update Telemetry List

• Thread starter Deleted member 178
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Microsoft collects Windows diagnostic data to keep Windows up-to-date, secure, and operating properly. It also helps us improve Windows and, for users who have turned on “tailored experiences”, can be used to provide relevant tips and recommendations to tailor Microsoft products to the user’s needs. This article describes all types diagnostic data collected by Windows at the Full telemetry level (inclusive of data collected at Basic), with comprehensive examples of data we collect per each type. For additional, detailed technical descriptions of Basic data items, see Windows 10, version 1703 Basic level diagnostic events and fields.

The data covered in this article is grouped into the following categories:

• Common Data (diagnostic header information)
  • Device, Connectivity, and Configuration data
  • Product and Service Usage data
  • Product and Service Performance data
  • Software Setup and Inventory data
  • Content Consumption data
  • Browsing, Search and Query data
  • Inking, Typing, and Speech Utterance data
  • Licensing and Purchase data

More details on the link.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
No content-based targeting. We take steps to avoid and minimize the collection of customer content, such as the content of files, chats, or emails, through the Windows telemetry system. Customer content inadvertently collected is kept confidential and not used for user targeting.

... reassuring for sure ...

To completely disable Windows Telemetry:
Manage Windows 10 Telemetry and Data Collection settings

The above article has a link at the bottom where you can customize individual settings if you do not want to disable it entirely:

Manage connections from Windows operating system components to Microsoft services (Windows 10)

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
You will get doxed to death long before any MS collected data ever comes into play - if it ever comes into play at all.

As an experiment - if you dare - post a resume on Monster containing a working email address and phone number and make that resume publicly viewable\searchable.
rofl, no thank you Jeff :p

total

Level 1
Verified
Oct 5, 2014
I'm not sure we are able to completely stop Windows 10 telemetry, only what we can is reduce it.

imagine that we can completely stop windows 10 telemetry, what about ms office and their telemetry, about skype, edge, IE, windows defender... ?
or what about non microsoft software like chrome, adobe acrobat extension in chrome,firefox and everyone antivirus... ?

only is for sure, we dont have our privacy long time ago.

Reactions: Ana_Filiz
F

ForgottenSeer 19494

Thread author
Telemetry is good for the software engineers because they can find statistics and context about bugs. And now, talking about the collection of voice and word typing by Cortana, you are right to disable it if you want. Just remember that it's all about statistics and people in Redmond have much more important work to do than smile while watching your videos, messenger conversations. :D

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
I'm curious if anyone on the forum uses PiHole? I've been using it for about a month now and it is fascinating to see just how much telemetry stuff it blocks!

What I did was set the following in Group Policy on my machines:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview Builds > Allow telemetry > Set this to enabled and then select 0 - Security (Enterprise only)

The difference in what was blocked in PiHole before and after changing this setting on all my machines/VMs was staggering!!

Before the change about 10% of ALL my DNS requests were getting blocked. After disabling telemetry about 6% of DNS requests get blocked. I'd say that roughly half of the top ten are telemetry domains that get blocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.