App Review Crystal Security 2014 (Manzaitest)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
do you run checkup? I think it's necessary on first run.

edit:
What I hate most about this program is that it changes the contents of the clipboard

D

Deleted member 21043

Thread author
All I can say is lol to Dubseven, well done for thinking up rubbish on the spot. I now leave this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Hello,

I am Kardo - developer of Crystal Security program and new member of MalwareTips. :)

Just made some research and found review video of my program (Manzai - thank you for the review).

Unfortunately, I have to admit that the program failed in this review.
Please note that I'll do everything to increase protection (especially real-time) provided by Crystal Security.

So far I have received various feedback from several Forums like Wilders Security, Comodo Forums, Safegroup,...
Also found some great reviews by Softpedia, FindMySoft and so on.

About VT usage
I have full rights to use VT service in Crystal Security. I have direct contact with Emiliano from VT team.
He also helped me to integrate their service fully and correctly and of course there are some rules to use their service.

About the future
New beta cycle starts soon - new features, improvements, fixes and also absolutely new interface.

Preview screenshots of next BETA cycle. :)

User interface

3-5beta-preview-png.242737

General settings

settings-general-png.242832

Protection settings

settings-protection-png.242833

Behavior settings

settings-behavior-png.242834

Checkup settings

settings-checkup-png.242835

Notification

notification-safe-png.242927

I hope you like it.

Any feedback is very important and if there is any questions then please ask via this thread or send a PM. ;)

Regards,
Kardo

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
Hi Kardo, thanks for joining the forum and actively engaging with your potential users :)

Just wondering whether you could enlighten me as to how exactly Crystal Security is scanning? Does it rely solely on signatures, is there any emulation or sandboxing integrated and if so, do you use this functionality for unpacking or do you have a more generic unpacking routine (or multiple specific ones etc)?

Also do you integrate any kind of heuristics in your scanner?

Finally, does Crystal Security use a driver (userland or kernel land) for system monitoring, protection and threat removal?

I'm perfectly willing to try to help you improve Crystal Security's detection rate, it certainly looks like a promising product with the new beta coming soon :) Best of luck and I'll look forward to hearing any news :D

@Kardo Kristal

R

rocky

Thread author
Kardo , welcome as a member. There is a wealth of knowledge and expertise here. I'm sure you will feel at home in no time.

Reactions: Kardo Kristal

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
@Cowpipe

Hi and thank you for your message. :)

Crystal Security uses several public sources (not just VT) to detect malware.
Cloud detection is provided by VT service and offline detection (internal database) is by VX Vault and Malc0de.
Internal database is currently updated only via product update but automatic update support will be added into next BETA.

There is no sandboxing, emulation and driver integrated at the moment but I really hope to learn all this stuff to add thease awesome features in the future if possible. Currently is available only age-based heuristics (recently created/modified files).

As already mentioned.. I'll do my best to improve Crystal Security and every user help is much appreciated!
Also there is no plan to change it to shareware or something like that.. ;)

Regards,
Kardo

Kardo , welcome as a member. There is a wealth of knowledge and expertise here. I'm sure you will feel at home in no time.

Thank you! Very interesting forum.. I really like design and alerts system. :)
@everyone: Sorry if my English is not perfect, I'm not a native.

Regards,
Kardo

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Manzai and Malware1
D

Deleted member 21043

Thread author
@Cowpipe

Cloud detection is provided by VT service and offline detection (internal database) is by VX Vault and Malc0de.
Internal database is currently updated only via product update but automatic update support will be added into next BETA.

There is no sandboxing, emulation and driver integrated at the moment but I really hope to learn all this stuff to add thease awesome features in the future if possible. Currently is available only age-based heuristics (recently created/modified files).

As already mentioned.. I'll do my best to improve Crystal Security and every user help is much appreciated!

Regards,
Kardo

Thank you! Very interesting forum.. I really like design and alerts system. :)
@everyone: Sorry if my English is not perfect, I'm not a native.

Regards,
Kardo
You could try partnering with Xvirus (Mysecurtiywin) or Tiranium to improve your detection rates. The developers are both on this forum.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
@Cowpipe

Regards,
Kardo

Thanks for the explanation, I can see how it's all working now and why the detections rates in this review were quite low ;)

If you're interested, I'm setting up a malware analysis course very soon and there will be a lot of advanced topics covering things like emulation, unpacking, heuristics (not just meta-information but actually exploring the internal structure of the file) etc. You would be more than welcome to join and perhaps this would help you with integrating these features into Crystal Security (shameless self promotion) :p

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
@Cowpipe

Thank you for the link. It looks interesting and promising. :)
I'll send my data for the sign up via PM as soon as possible.

Regards,
Kardo

Reactions: Cowpipe

soinvisage

Level 9
Verified
May 3, 2014
Hello,

I am Kardo - developer of Crystal Security program and new member of MalwareTips. :)

Just made some research and found review video of my program (Manzai - thank you for the review).

Unfortunately, I have to admit that the program failed in this review.
Please note that I'll do everything to increase protection (especially real-time) provided by Crystal Security.

So far I have received various feedback from several Forums like Wilders Security, Comodo Forums, Safegroup,...
Also found some great reviews by Softpedia, FindMySoft and so on.

About VT usage
I have full rights to use VT service in Crystal Security. I have direct contact with Emiliano from VT team.
He also helped me to integrate their service fully and correctly and of course there are some rules to use their service.

About the future
New beta cycle starts soon - new features, improvements, fixes and also absolutely new interface.

Preview screenshots of next BETA cycle. :)

User interface

3-5beta-preview-png.242737

General settings

settings-general-png.242832

Protection settings

settings-protection-png.242833

Behavior settings

settings-behavior-png.242834

Checkup settings

settings-checkup-png.242835

Notification

notification-safe-png.242927

I hope you like it.

Any feedback is very important and if there is any questions then please ask via this thread or send a PM. ;)

Regards,
Kardo
welcome to you

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
Hello everyone,

I'm sorry that the new beta version is going to take so long...
I need a little more time to get some basic functionality in place..
I believe that in a few weeks (or even before) I can upload next BETA version for public..

Here are some updated screenshots of next BETA version.

1. Updated Settings panel
- added background colors for titles (General,...)

settings-png.16653

2. Notification
- auto-decision is enabled

auto-decision-png.16654

Please tell me your thoughts. :)

Regards,
Kardo

Attachments

• Settings.png
    Settings.png
    33 KB · Views: 584
  • Auto-decision.png
    Auto-decision.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 628

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.