Android
Infected device
HTC Desire 650
Infected device issues
Not being able to uninstall cse google
Steps taken to remove the infection
Malwarebytes scan, Cccleaner, getting chrome to default settings

Thread author
Hi, guys, I need help with removing the annoying cse google extension from my phone. I downloaded HBO Go yesterday from Play Store and somehow cse came along with it. Now it's popping up all the time and I'm freaking out. There's nothing useful online, I used Ccleaner and Malwarebytes, cleared the cash, tried getting chrome back to default settings since I can't delete it and still nothing :(

Reactions: Jack

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hi, guys, I need help with removing the annoying cse google extension from my phone. I downloaded HBO Go yesterday from Play Store and somehow cse came along with it. Now it's popping up all the time and I'm freaking out. There's nothing useful online, I used Ccleaner and Malwarebytes, cleared the cash, tried getting chrome back to default settings since I can't delete it and still nothing :(
Hello @Mim4guns,
If you uninstall the HBO Go app does this browser redirect stop? Did you clear your browser cache?

Let's check what apps were recently installed.

1. Open the Play Store app on your device, then either tap on the hamburger button or swipe sideways from the left side of the screen to pull up the menu. Select "My Apps & Games" within the menu, then tap on the "Installed" tab along the top of the following page.
2. Tap on the sort button to the right that's set to "Alphabetical" by default, and choose "Last Used" first, as many of shady apps that feature unwanted redirects tend to run continually in the background. Additionally, you can select "Last Updated" from the sort prompt, and look through a list of recently updated apps to hunt down the app that's causing the problem.
3. Do you see any app that looks suspicious or you don't remember installing?

Next, can you check if there are any suspicious apps set as Device admin apps? Usually, you should only have"Find My Device" here.

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Do one of the following:
    • Tap Security & location > Device admin apps.
    • Tap Security > Device admin apps.
    • Tap Security > Device administrators.
  3. Are there any apps that are set as admin here?

Thread author
Nothing suspicious in the installed apps. Security and location are two separate files and when I open administrators there's nothing there

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.