Status
Not open for further replies.

ctrlz

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 20, 2017
Hi,
I'm looking for a safe, quick, free and easy-to-mantain security configuration.
Actually I'm using CIS, it seems a good balance between easy-to-use and all-in-one product, even if I find it very different from what I remember (version 5 or so).
Whitelisting and sandboxing make hips, imho the main suite power, almost useless:
  • if an app is trusted, can do almost everything -> no alert
  • if an app is untrusted, it is sandboxed -> no alert
Open to any suggestion or alternative configuration

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would consider some type of system/data backup solution.
Both Macrium Reflect & AOMEI backupper offer good free solutions.
Consider an additional on demand scanner(s).
You might consider enabling Smartscreen.
Other than the lack of a backup solution your config looks good.
Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
A few improvements I feel can be made:
  • Set UAC to Always Notify.
  • Turn on Smartscreen.
  • Consider ditching CIS and using Comodo Firewall instead. It can be used on its own if it's configured properly or with a supplementary third-party AV. Whether you decide to switch or not, I strongly suggest using these settings that come highly recommended by our resident Comodo expert, @cruelsister.
  • Add a secondary on-demand scanner. Zemana Antimalware is my preferred one.
  • Add HTTPS Everywhere and Avira Browser Safety to Chrome.
  • You haven't listed a backup solution, so if you're in need of one I personally use AOMEI Backupper for both data and image backups. Others will recommend Macrium Reflect for image backups.
Besides the points listed your config looks solid. Thanks for sharing. :)

ctrlz

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 20, 2017
Hi, thanks for the replies.
  • I use Rollback Rx free for daily OS and data snapshots, anyway my main data are also synched with dropbox/gdrive so I don't feel the need of a new backup system. Anyway I'll read about suggested products (never used)
  • I used Comodo Fw alone long time ago, but now I'm using CIS because i feel that an Av (even if not the best) can be useful. Currently using an aggressive custom configuration, based from the proactive one. BTW I'll give a try to the suggested config guide
  • I'm going to apply other suggestions :)
Thanks
Ctrlz

Edit:
I've seen the configuration video, I never noticed that CIS does not virtualize some directories in proactive mode, so I immediately changed that checkbox. Thanks :cool:
For other settings, I usually prefer to see alerts instead of autoblock and/or restrict: Comodo whitelist isn't so large, and that auto-restriction level of unrecognized files will cause more problems than benefits (what application would be able to work properly?)

Last edited:

ctrlz

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 20, 2017
I had problems with Rollback RX.
After a startup defrag my system was unbootable (I have an SSD), so I installed ubuntu to reinstall windows, and now I have a dual boot system. I like the way Rollback works, with just a few seconds you can take full-system images and restore them, when it doesn't break everything.

Are there free alternatives to Rollback rx? With the same easy and strengths points.
Thanks

maanastr

Level 4
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
More addition to this: Try CCleaner or Privazer to clean junk files. Emsisoft emergency kit is great option you can use as on demand scanner. If you want to use paid av then I can say Eset or Kaspersky are good option over CIS. Overall config is good

ctrlz

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 20, 2017
Removed ubuntu, removed grub fixing the windows bootloader.
Moved windows partition left to use the unallocated space (that wasn't contiguous on the right), then re-fixed the bootloader.
After 3 hours, finally installed AOMEI backupper :D

Edit: also replaced Zemana with Emsisoft Emergency Kit, it feels good and it is portable

Last edited:
Reactions: maanastr

maanastr

Level 4
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
Edit: also replaced Zemana with Emsisoft Emergency Kit, it feels good and it is portable

No need to replace Zemena as both not interfer with each other. Even you can add Malwarebyet too in your on demand scanner list
Also regularly clean your pc with Ccleaner. Do dfreagmentation once in a month by windows default defragment tool or you can use third party software like Auslogics Disk Defrag (personally I am using this and found fast n secure ) or Defraggler or Puran Defrag..

Last edited:
Reactions: ctrlz

ctrlz

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 20, 2017
I'm evaluating a switch from CIS to CFW + AV.
What AV do you recommend? I tried Avira but it slows down the pc :(

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017

Windows Defender+Comodo Firewall (cruelsister's settings) is all you will ever need.

Reactions: Rengar

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Qihoo 360 is a popular AV for use with CFW, because it gives you strong BB, and Avira and/or Bitdefender engines. I don't use it, but others do.

Right now, I am trying out CFW + Voodooshield + Windows Defender. So far, so good.

I must admit that I have spent plenty of time complaining about both CFW and VS. I guess I have a love-hate relationship with these softs.

Last edited:

maanastr

Level 4
Verified
Mar 1, 2013
If you want to use non chinese free, then Pand free will be a option for you. Otherwise Qihoo 360 is good ( only the thing awefull in qihoo is FP. So you need to take care about it).

Reactions: Rengar and ctrlz

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Any free AV will do honestly. Adaware, Avast, AVG, Avira, Bitdefender, Fortinet, Microsoft, Panda, Sophos, Qihoo. Each has different features and I'd suggest giving them all a try and see which you prefer using. The AV is only there to catch any known threats and lessen the work of Comodo's sandbox; it won't add much to the overall protection anyway so the choice is entirely up to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy and ctrlz
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.