Cursor hijack incident - happened twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paranoid puzzled person

Thread author
Mar 4, 2020
Hello

When I unlocked my computer at around 16:00 on date 28/1-2020 the cursor started doing a lot of things very quickly and I couldn’t control the cursor from my touchpad. It all happened very fast and the few things I noticed It did was closing the internet taps I had open from last time I used the computer earlier that day. It also clicked around in my computer settings. As soon as I noticed that something was wrong I made a force shutdown on my computer by holding down the on/off button. So the event only lasted for about 3-5 seconds before I shut it down. Afterwards I reopened my computer without internet access and the cursor stayed normal, then I turned the Wi-Fi back on and everything was still normal. I then did a Bitdefender full system scan. The system scan found nothing.

I’m still worried that the rootkit/malware did its job and that the safety of my personal information is compromised.

I have tried to look at the program event log files but I have zero experience with this so I can’t tell suspicious activity from normal activity.

For a couple of weeks ago I sent a bdsyslog file to bitdefender costumer support (I have a paid version of Bitdefender). Support sent it to their virus lab and I got a reply from them saying they didn’t find anything suspicious and that I should just update the driver from my mousepad (lol). I did that and the driver was already up to date.

As requested from this website I ran Malwarebytes and it found nothing, then I ran FRST-64bit as admin. And now have the two log files attached to this post.

An important note: last year 2nd of march I had the same thing happen to me. The cursor went rouge and started doing a lot of actions and entering all sorts of programs on my computer. Last time I also force-shutdown my pc, reopened without web, no problem, activated the web, still no problem. I then ran all sorts of scans with multiple antivirus and antimalware programs and they said all good. To be shure I did a factory reset on my pc and thought it was the end of it but then it happened again 28/1-2020

I even ran GMER last year just after the first incident and it just BSOD.

Please help me.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    23.8 KB · Views: 3
  • FRST.txt
    67.2 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: upnorth

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hello, Welcome to MalwareTips.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

The system restore is disabled. The fix will enable it.

Nothing malicious was found in your logs.

Please download the attached Fixlist.txt file to the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.
The location is listed in the 3rd line of the FRST.txt log you have submitted.

Run FRST and click Fix only once and wait.

The Computer will restart when the fix is completed.

It will create a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.
===

Please post the Fixlog.txt and let me know what problem persists.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    621 bytes · Views: 3

Paranoid puzzled person

Thread author
Mar 4, 2020
Hi

First of all, thank you so much for looking into my problem.

How do you mean, going bad?
Its an integrated mousepad so it would be a bit difficult to change.

The pc is a few years old so i guess it could be the mousepad but based on the two described incidents, the cursors movements seemed too coordinated to just be a random hardware fault imo.

Would you be able to help me run and decipher a GMER scan?

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hi,

Update the Touchpad driver.

Press the Windows Key and type device manager, then press Enter.
Under Your PC, double-click the Mice and other pointing devices entry.
Locate your Touchpad and right-click the icon and select Update Driver Software.

Restart the computer normally when done.
===

If the problem persists run this fix.

Please download the attached Fixlist.txt file to the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.
The location is listed in the 3rd line of the FRST.txt log you have submitted.

Run FRST and click Fix only once and wait.

The Computer will restart when the fix is completed.

It will create a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.
===

Please post the Fixlog.txt and let me know what problem persists.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    343 bytes · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.