Cyber Security Conspiracy Theories

zorror

Verified
Nov 25, 2012
Perfectly reasonable as by releasing malware and viruses online they keep their businesses floating with customers buying licencse for their products.

Coffeeman

Level 3
Verified
Nov 24, 2012
If you say that you have a cure for something? How can you know and prove that it is good? that can solve a lot of problems? You have to start from something. Create something good from the root of something bad :) Like security software companies do :), in my humble opinion I see it as a logical move.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
If you say that you have a cure for something? How can you know and prove that it is good? that can solve a lot of problems? You have to start from something. Create something good from the root of something badSmile Like security software companies doSmile, in my humble opinion I see it as a logical and move.

You make a good argument.

I have to believe that anti-malware software companies are, at the very least, deceptive if they are releasing malware into the wild so they can claim defenses before their competitors do.
A traditional "honey pot" is the traditional and legitimate way for an anti-malware firm to develop a signature database, imho.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
If cyber armegeddon begins to unfold in some aspect, or all aspects, of a future war, who will the cyber security companies align themselves with, and who will they cut off sales to? How much of a factor will they be in cyber warfare exchanges between nations???

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
The following in one of my observations, it is not intended to be assumed as actual facts or is not my belief in general but observations that can not be ignored.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware came out in January 2008- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malwarebytes

When it first come out, it was a joke to the security communities.
There was numerous AV testing sites which give it a very low scores.

About a year later, all of these fake alert websites started popping up and fake antivirus were born. Then a bunch more fake rogue software started to appear all across the web. Out of all of the established antivirus companies that had been in service for many years, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware was the only one to detect this series of rogue malware. At this time I believe Malwarebytes staff only included 14 members mostly still in their teens.

Even more observations include Malwarebytes is based in California, the majority of these fake alert websites were using anonymous proxy services also based in California. Usually most malware is written by young developers.

I always found it a bit strange that out of all the established security vendors that had been around for years with a lot of experience in malware, a small company could just startup and within a year detect almost all of the latest fake antivirus and other rogue software long before all of these established security vendors could.

Once again I'm not implying anything this is just an observation to be taken however you want to take it.

Thanks.:D

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
The following in one of my observations, it is not intended to be assumed as actual facts or is not my belief in general but observations that can not be ignored.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware came out in January 2008- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malwarebytes

When it first come out, it was a joke to the security communities.
There was numerous AV testing sites which give it a very low scores.

About a year later, all of these fake alert websites started popping up and fake antivirus were born. Then a bunch more fake rogue software started to appear all across the web. Out of all of the established antivirus companies that had been in service for many years, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware was the only one to detect this series of rogue malware. At this time I believe Malwarebytes staff only included 14 members mostly still in their teens.

Even more observations include Malwarebytes is based in California, the majority of these fake alert websites were using anonymous proxy services also based in California. Usually most malware is written by young developers.

I always found it a bit strange that out of all the established security vendors that had been around for years with a lot of experience in malware, a small company could just startup and within a year detect almost all of the latest fake antivirus and other rogue software long before all of these established security vendors could.

Once again I'm not implying anything this is just an observation to be taken however you want to take it.

Fascinating. Astute observation at the very least.
Even if they did do something like that, it would be hard for me to boycott MBAM or hold a grudge against its founders and developers. Now if it was some junk security software, that is different.
I could see teenagers in a start up venture, in all of its potential desperation, resorting to extremes. It would not surprise me a bit. They had nothing to lose at the time. I doubt they would try it now, if indeed they tried it then---TOO MUCH TO LOSE.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I started a new thread for the "cyber armageddon" statement.

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Cyber-Armageddon--11862

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.