Cyber Security Conspiracy Theories

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Some AV companies have employees that go to the internet cafe and release nasties online so they are the FIRST to have signatures for 'em

Let me here what you think about that notion.

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
Probably true, who better to release a signature than the people who made the malware in the first place

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
Exactly, if there are no viruses, then there is no need for anti-viruses, its the perfect line of work to be in, a never ending supply of work

I knew a guy who was a double glazing window fitter, and amazingly every Friday and Saturday night around where he went out drinking, in the morning there would be broken windows all over the place, go figure

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I knew a guy who was a double glazing window fitter, and amazingly every Friday and Saturday night around where he went out drinking, in the morning there would be broken windows all over the place, go figure

That is as twisted and hilarious as any analogy you will ever hear. :) lol

D

Deleted member 178

you can say that for every fields that generate a cure/reparation/solutions to a problem

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I asked the most trusted, talented and respected IT that I know if he believed that anti-malware companies were issuing their own malicious threats in order to spike their products reputations. He answered: "Unfortunately there are those who do that. It is just kind of the way it works". And this guy was no "conspiracy theorist" whatsoever.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would have to say that this kind of behavior is probably true in many fields.I really dont think that it would help the need to keep people buying security software.Security nowadays is prevention whether there is malware or not because the threat is always there.I do believe that they do this to compete with other malware companies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
That is an excellent point Nobster. Maybe that is why viruses seem much less common than they were a few years ago--AV corporations spiked the threats to start a consumer purchasing frenzy.
I mean these days you have all these AV's, but it is really the rootkits that are the big problem, not viruses. Viruses are for pranksters, unless someone has produced a virus/rootkit hybrid with intention to spread it to millions of machines in minutes. Now THAT would be nuts.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Awhile back Rising actually got caught releasing their manufactured malware in the wild to increase their detection rate. I'm sure others do the same in order to stay in business. We will never know the truth.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

Littlebits said:
Awhile back Rising actually got caught releasing their manufactured malware in the wild to increase their detection rate. I'm sure others do the same in order to stay in business. We will never know the truth.

exact, the CEO was almost sentenced to death, if my memory is good

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-blogs/the-engineering-life-around-the-web/4401140/Virus-killer--Manhunt-for-McAfee-founder

INTEL owns McAfee. I did not know that.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Yes its True. Antivirus Company himself create virus to get signatures fast to make their product sell

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
ZOU1 said:
http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-blogs/the-engineering-life-around-the-web/4401140/Virus-killer--Manhunt-for-McAfee-founder

i also don't know that

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Littlebits said:

wow i don't know that

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
ZOU1 said:

Yes Intel bought McAfee awhile back, they have several other security vendors as partners, under their partnerships with other security vendors they use their signatures in McAfee Stinger to remove infections. Since Intel took over McAfee Stinger has become one of the best malware removal tools.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.