Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I also had so many problems with HMPA and it must have been uninstalled so I could get the stability back

I'm thinking about trying HMPA without tweaking because it would make HMPA prone to FPs and become very heavy => put a strain to daily activities
IMO, Emsisoft alone is enough. Prevent her from ransomwares by blocking wcript, cscript and powershell :)
You remember that big problem I had with SurfRight a few months back don't you, I nearly dumped them then. Now HMP's not functioning properly.And it's been that way for nearly a month. In today's threat landscape I don't have time for that type of lax and lazy approach. Not too long ago SurfRight as impressive and on the ball, not so much now. I don't know if it is the Sophos takeover
or some kind of alternate project or workload introduced by Sophos, but SurfRight is not the same beast it once was, not even
close imho.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Too many issues with SurfRight as of late so I made some changes,
Re-Added: ZemanaAL 2.72.204.388 (Lifetime)
Removed: HMP.A & HMP (doubtful I will revisit)
My oldest daughter is getting her first LapTop, so what I was thinking was to add EmsiSoft AM
and HMP.A for the encryption protection to her LapTop, that way I am not being wasteful,
it's a good learning curve for her as well.
I had some issues with HMP.A too bro - all apps guarded by HMP.A were "printing" empty pages :confused: so I removed it too.
BTW with VS only you're pretty secure ;)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I had some issues with HMP.A too bro - all apps guarded by HMP.A were "printing" empty pages :confused: so I removed it too.
BTW with VS only you're pretty secure ;)
Your right you know, but I am one of those that has a need for a on demand scanner. I don't know what it is
but I feel strange without one. I just need to get over it, thanks for the feedback pablozi ;)

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Mark, good question. I almost ran with PIAvpn. Both AIR & PIA have good marks in all the right places like
no data collection at all, a slew of quality servers, ect. Through all of this it got pointed out to me
by one of the friends here helping me that PIA is located on US soil. Immediately due to that fact and a few
minor details that AIRvpn was a better choice. I took the leap, and I am glad I did they are one of the best on
the market currently. Thanks for Asking.
Thanks. If you recommend it then I can't go wrong :)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Now that I am not revisiting SurfRight software ever again, I didn't just
put it to sleep I removed it altogether.
Here is what I am running, it is basically the same but I added Malwarebytes
as my "On Demand" scanner and intergrated it for Right click scanning
1> VoodooShield 3.59 (Lifetime)
2> W.A.R (Lifetime)
On Demand: MalwareBytes (Lifetime)
How I did this with Malwarebytes is it is not allowed to start with windows (at boot)
I can start it with the right click to start a scan, or start it and run a full scan then exit
out of it after.
DeepArmor is still wandering the halls so to speak ;)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Now that I am not revisiting SurfRight software ever again, I didn't just
put it to sleep I removed it altogether.
Here is what I am running, it is basically the same but I added Malwarebytes
as my "On Demand" scanner and intergrated it for Right click scanning
1> VoodooShield 3.59 (Lifetime)
2> W.A.R (Lifetime)
On Demand: MalwareBytes (Lifetime)
How I did this with Malwarebytes is it is not allowed to start with windows (at boot)
I can start it with the right click to start a scan, or start it and run a full scan then exit
out of it after.
DeepArmor is still wandering the halls so to speak ;)
great move ;) I'm against HMPA from the beginning, now you also removed it
you may see some gradual improvement in your PC perormance
VS is more than enough to deal with almost all malwares

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
WinPatrol, too. So it's just a question of which is lighter. The other could be given to someone else instead for the learning curve (in case of another child).
which winpatrol version do you mean? WAR or winpatrol?
if you mean WAR I assume, it's great against ransomwares but so so against other malwares. WAR is light but the FP rate is high because it works like a semi-anti-exe

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
HMPA offers a lot of protection, but at a price: it slows down the system a little, and it is prone to conflicts with software/hardware.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
WinPatrol, too. So it's just a question of which is lighter. The other could be given to someone else instead for the learning curve (in case of another child).
W.A.R is being used to block Windows Media Player's exe's among a long list of other things I don't want
to start or have need of ;)
And it runs smooth as silk next to VS.
I have 3 daughters and your right, they will end up with most of my software collection :p

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
May I ask why?
Not that I am a fanboy or something but I am just curious as I have removed it also due to some issues.
I removed it because it caused some issues to my program. Secondly, the peformance impact was unbearable on my standard. After the removal, I felt I had a new laptop. Much less CPU usage, the fan made less noice, web browsing was snappier, softwares were more compatible :)
I felt HMPA was heavier than KIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.