enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
CyberSight, a new computer security company based in California, released the first version of the anti-ransomware software RansomStopper yesterday.

RansomStopper is available as a free version for non-commercial use, and a paid version for commercial and Enterprise use.

The program is compatible with Windows 7 and newer versions of the Microsoft Windows operating system, and CyberSight promises that it will stop ransomware before encryption of data occurs.

Installation of the program is straightforward, as you just press next a couple of times to install the security application on the Windows machine.

pvfmz1M.png

You are asked to enter your name and email address afterwards, and need to verify the email address before you may use the program. RansomStopper displays the "enter your data" prompt until you have confirmed the selected email address.

The application itself offers little user controls. The interface lists four buttons at the bottom of the page that lead to allowed and blocked/quarantined processes, security alerts, and an update check.

There are not any settings available, which means among other things that you cannot whitelist processes proactively for instance.

The company explains on its website how RansomStopper works:

Our anti-ransomware software uses proprietary technology and machine learning to provide multi-layered defense against ransomware.
RansomStopper incorporates proprietary deception techniques and recovery and roll back technology to minimize file loss RansomStopper detects new and existing ransomware to protect from malicious encryption and file loss.

Some of the key features:

Prevention: Applies machine learning on files pre-execution to prevent them from infecting your system
Deception: Honeypots and on-demand traps to catch ransomware before it impacts files
Detection: Kernel level behavioral analysis on processes and files in real-time
Automatic Response: Automatically stops attacks, including Zero-Day attacks, by blocking processes and quarantining files

FAQ: faq – Cybersight
Download: https://download.cybersight.com/

Source: ghacks.net

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
From their home-page:

That is quite a bold statement is it not... I know it is just marketing but...

And
- Does RansomStopper stop all types of Ransomware?

"Yes! Regardless of whether the ransomware is from a new or existing strain, RansomStopper can stop any type of ransomware due to the powerful behavioral approach that is applied. "

I do like their web site though. Looks professional.
Cruelsister ?

D

Deleted member 65228

I do like their web site though. Looks professional.
Hmmm the marketing is too much for my cup of tea.

RANSOMSTOPPER WILL GREATLY INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF DEFENDING AGAINST RANSOMWARE. ANTI-VIRUS TYPICALLY DEFENDS AGAINST KNOWN RANSOMWARE, HOWEVER IT DOES NOT PROTECT YOU FROM NEW RANSOMWARE WITH UNKNOWN SIGNATURES.

They don't even know how the technology behind many AVs even works. Tell what that says to Avast, AVG, Emsisoft, Kaspersky, G-Data... They all focus on behavioural analysis just as much as signatures. Avast and AVG are not as far in the party as the others I mentioned I don't think but they still count. Qihoo and other vendors as well... Most your popular average vendors which "made it" in the industry probably use some form of machine learning/artificial intelligence and/or behavioural analysis, and by "made it" I'm referring to those that come top time and time again in tests and are generally well-liked, reputable and often recommended. Norton for example can protect against zero day ransomware thanks to their cloud rep via SONAR alone

The whole "All AVs use signatures but we don't so just download us now because we look legit" cards don't really work in .. almost 2018 now

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Just read PCMag CyberSight RansomStopper review and techradar CyberSight RansomStopper review ...anyone care to share their RansomStopper experience.
Thanks

I put it on two computers. It has good reviews.... and it's free. It's light and unobtrusive. I'm still running it on two computers.

But..... legendary member cruelsister (where the heck is she?) tested it and it came up lacking.

Search MT for her test.

Reactions: roger_m and bjm_

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.