App Review Cylance Smart Antivirus 2018 Bypassed

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Last edited by a moderator:

So much for Next-Gen AI\ML:

PopularJauntyAracari-max-1mb.gif

But hey... at least it doesn't hog your system resources.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

You're right, but it seems that the developer of kyrox ransomware has bypassed several other antivirus.
It's good, because people will maybe start to reconsider their security, that AV's aren't enough and discover Anti-exe/Sanbox/SRP. For changes to take place and people mindset about online security, global digital catastrophy needs happen, and it will, it's just a matter of time.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Laughing.... this is good. And this is what products deserve when they promise too much.

Cylance says they are two years ahead of the adversary.

1541248968888.png

I guess kyrox ransomware is 2.1 years ahead of Cylance.

I (surprisingly) now like Cylance. I think they do have a more effective algorithm for certain classes of malware.

But it should just be a module in a more comprehensive product --- I think.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Cylance is a good product, it is very light and unobtrusive with a nice detection rate; the problem is that AI/ML has many limitations and the lack of frequent "training" updates makes it a big problem.

I like the product, but I hate the marketing of Cylance, if Ai/ML was the silver bullet, the end game of malware protection, vendors like Kaspersky/ESET/Norton would love to roll with it alone and discard the old and somewhat expensive signature protection model (human analysts x servers to deliver updates x testing beds).

AI/ML needs constant retraining and updates to stay effective and ahead of the curve, it isnt very different from "traditional" antivirus engines (they are hybrid nowdays anyway) ...

E

Eddie Morra

It goes without saying that many other vendors have "Ai/ML" model implementations and have done for several years - some vendors offer their technology to other companies through a licensed SDK as well (Bitdefender and Avira do this).

Cylance would become more known and would make more buck if they followed the SDK route because I am sure they would be able to find companies who would want to adopt their technology alongside their own (be it for non-commercial or commercial reasons).

erreale

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
And I like other security programs that have things get past it the developers at Cylance will hopefully use this example to make their product better.

The problem is that against kyrox ransomware have also failed: Malwarebytes, SecureAPlus, Eset, Avast, Kaspersky..e others. There are many who have to make their products better.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
The problem is that against kyrox ransomware have also failed: Malwarebytes, SecureAPlus, Eset, Avast, Kaspersky..e others. There are many who have to make their products better.

I did a quick Google search and didn't see the answer.... do we know what products were successful in blocking Kyrox?

E

Eddie Morra

All we actually see is the system rebooting and a .NET application (guessing) being automatically ran (preferably via the HKLM/HKCU AutoRun key) which happens to list a bunch of files which may or may not actually exist. Even if the file enumeration is real, that does not mean the files are actually being modified.

I'm not saying that Cylance hasn't been "bypassed" by the author of this video, but I am neither agreeing that it has been - no one has shared concrete evidence to validate that Cylance has been "bypassed" in this video.

There's no point caring about the results of something when there is insufficient evidence to validate whether the source and test conclusion/s are credible or not.

erreale

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
I did a quick Google search and didn't see the answer.... do we know what products were successful in blocking Kyrox?

It certainly does not bypass Comodo sandbox (there is a video showing kyros started in sandbox) and I do not even think of the Srp programs.

Reactions: Der.Reisende

erreale

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
Probably this is true with default settings, but tweaking properly some of those products...

I absolutely agree with you. The programs have been tested with the default settings and we know very well that with some changes the software greatly improve. But how many users use default settings? I think the majority.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.