Status
Not open for further replies.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Funny to me that the best/most interesting way I can think of at this point to use Cylance a-v at home is to add it with Comodo (firewall). for overall protection, I probably still want Comodo there too, because the protection scheme seems to match best with what Cylance does.

been there, done that, still doing that, finding no reason not to do that.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author

Do you guys use CS settings on CF or CF vanilla? Do tell. This is a combo I keep hearing about in random places. Some guy at work that carries around a notepad, rocks in the corner when you mention state actors , and sends himself bits of his passwords over stenography tells me he uses this combo.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I had CF on CS settings (no other security) on a couple of computers->Virtual/Limited containment. I just turned on the HIPS module on one of them, which I had turned off (on both) when I initially installed CF a while back. Because I'm not sure about its connection to script monitoring, I'm going to leave HIPS on. The settings for script monitoring used to be in the HIPS section, although I think the "heuristic command line" module has not/does not require the HIPS module being active to block. This isn't because of Cylance, just a change I decided to make to be on the safe side.

Planning to download and install Cylance and OSA shortly...

Thanks for this (y)

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I recommend combining solutions. So you don't run into things like this; but in cases like this, you might be pretty glad Cylance was around to back you up when the vast majority of other solutions will fail you. I suppose. I don't believe any single solution is going to provide magical results - except Chromebooks I guess. :love: Maybe a full VDI environment, but not much else.

View attachment 196060
That's not saying much for an AV that flags everything. Let's see the rate of false positives of this thing.

Reactions: AtlBo and vtqhtr413

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
That's not saying much for an AV that flags everything. Let's see the rate of false positives of this thing.

I don't know about Cylance Home but when I was using Protect the first couple of weeks I was getting a lot of false positives after that hardly a peep. I think after it learns your system the number of false positives diminish, either that or they made some changes to the program to inhibit them but most likely the former.

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
I just posted this elsewhere but I think it's worthy here, there are three kinds of lies, white lies, damned lies and statistics, where does this thread stand there, it is the reality we swim or sink within, our economic platform demands that of each of us, now whether that's the smart way is another debate but don't fain surprise when marketing enters the discussion, buyer beware is the rule, we need to either embrace and admire it or revise or replace it with a new platform, I don't think collectively we have the will, energy or attention span, not sure which, and if this thread was uninteresting or repulsive to you, why are you following it ?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Thread author
I just posted this elsewhere but I think it's worthy here, there are three kinds of lies, white lies, damned lies and statistics, where does this thread stand there, it is the reality we swim or sink within, our economic platform demands that of each of us, now whether that's the smart way is another debate but don't fain surprise when marketing enters the discussion, buyer beware is the rule, we need to either embrace and admire it or revise or replace it with a new platform, I don't think collectively we have the will, energy or attention span, not sure which, and if this thread was uninteresting or repulsive to you, why are you following it ?

7314109_orig.png

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Definitely some useful info here, some of it even about Cylance and some about testing. I know nothing about either of them. What I find amazing is the mixture of passion, debate, etc., maybe trolling, or whatever you may call it - all this in 21 pages in this thread (in one week, mind you!) and apparently not much from people who actually use Cylance. With that being said, I'm not quite sure what I've learned. Why read it at all? Not much else happening on the forum! :LOL: Still enjoying my tea though! (y)

Thread author
Definitely some useful info here, some of it even about Cylance and some about testing. I know nothing about either of them. What I find amazing is the mixture of passion, debate, etc., maybe trolling, or whatever you may call it - all this in 21 pages in this thread (in one week, mind you!) and apparently not much from people who actually use Cylance. With that being said, I'm not quite sure what I've learned. Why read it at all? Not much else happening on the forum! :LOL: Still enjoying my tea though! (y)

It's virtually identical to the CylancePROTECT threads. Same stuff, different day.

Spectate and you will get your entertainment. That's the way that all these AV threads turn out.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I mean I have a lot of snark but I do hope that they will stick around and improve on it instead of giving up. We need more diversity and if they really have something different here, I'm more than open to see it grow and thrive. Windows Defender had abysmal detection rates at first too. They will improve and if it's actually an AI and not just marketing talk, that said AI will improve dramatically as more people use it. Let's hope all the machine learning gets centralized into one place so that everyone benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.