Dark web mapping reveals that half of the content is legal

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
A recent global survey commissioned by the Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) showed that seven in ten (71%) global citizens say the “dark net” – “an area of the internet only accessible via special web browsers that allow you to surf the web anonymously” – should be shut down.

The Centre doesn’t say whether the polled individuals were made aware of what the “dark net” is and is used for (illegal things, but also to keep journalists, human rights activists, dissidents and whistleblowers safe while they are trying to carry out their job/mission) before answering the question. If not, it may be assumed that most of them have heard only about the illegal stuff effected with it.

At this point, though, I have to stop and clarify several things. The dark web exists on a variety of dark nets. Some are small, “private” peer-to-peer networks, others are large networks operated by public organizations and individuals (think Tor, Freenet, I2P). But the terms “dark web” and “dark net” are often (erroneously) used interchangeably.

I’m going to take a wild stab and say that when those who performed the aforementioned survey really meant “dark web” instead of “dark net,” and possibly some of the polled individuals thought the same, but in either case the results would likely be similar, if not the same.

Full Article. Dark web mapping reveals that half of the content is legal

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The poll itself is extremely intransparent as noted by the author on helpnetsecurity so personal I would take the whole " issue " with much much more then just a grain of salt.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.