danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Thank you CS, I appreciate you taking the time to test DD! Your results make perfect sense and help tremendously! The cloud backup feature in DD is not ready yet, and I was putting it off for now because I was wanting to see what suggestions people had for cloud storage, because we either need to find a secure cloud storage solution, or figure out a way to truly protect the local backup from all attacks, which I think would be difficult to do if an elevated process is allowed to run. Who knows, maybe we can figure out a way to disconnect the local backup whenever a backup is not running.

The main goal of the DD project is to holistically monitor any and all drive activity to protect the user data files, instead of monitoring specific suspect processes and the modifications they might make to the user data files. In other words, it’s great when an anti-ransom mechanism can detect encryption from a specific process, but if it fails then all of the files are encrypted. I am not worried about 5-15 easily restorable files being encrypted, but I am worried about having half or all of the data being encrypted. In other words, early and reliable detection of user data modification is key, and that is the focus of DD.

Thanks again, this really helps to build a roadmap to work from!

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Say I add a file into X folder and I delete another on the same X folder. Then I manually back folder X up. What happen? Will the updated back up contain the new file minus the deleted file?
Yes, DD does not yet auto clean the old backup files, so the files would still be in the backup. At some point we will have an auto clean feature that will probably auto clean the files once a month or something.

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Another question:
I back up Drive C protected folders on Drive F. If I understand correctly I should be able to restore folders from F to C if something untoward happen.
How this all process differ from third party or Windows backups restored from external drive ?
The backup component itself does not differ too much from any of the other backup software products.

The whole focus of DD is to ensure the user data has not changed when you need to restore it.

danb

From VoodooShield
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
Any plans for adding this auto-restore technology to VoodooShield Premium?
It's hard to say at this point, but I think in a few months when DD is more refined it should be obvious which direction we should go. I do like the DD mini prompts... do you guys think it would be cool to change the VS mini prompts to look like the DD mini prompts?

Block.png

Last edited by a moderator:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
It's hard to say at this point, but I think in a few months when DD is more refined it should be obvious which direction we should go. I do like the DD mini prompts... do you guys think it would be cool to change the VS mini prompts to look like the DD mini prompts?

View attachment 257429
I like VS prompts! Although I'd love if we could enable dark mode for VS prompts :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.