david8's Brand New Security Configuration

david8

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2015
I decided not to use realtime antivirus software, because I think it's ineffective and wasting battery life and PC perfomerance. Of course I don't download and open suspicious files. I think I'm advanced enough, to determine what is safe. In my opinion HitmanPro.Alert is providing great protection against 0day threats. With Windows SmartScreen and UAC I feel don't need more.

If you have some advice, please respond, I'm curious what do you think.

L

LabZero

All good but i have some doubt on the fact that you do not want to use a real time antivirus, why should drain the battery ?
In addition, the malware can also enter only by visiting a infected page and you can't stay always attentive.
If you were infected by a Ransomware in just a few minutes your data would be permanently encrypted .

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
Well with some good browser plugins and the use of Chrome or IE which have better malware protection than Firefox
youre pretty safe but not 100 percent.

Maybe you can test out Virfree when its released, i got told it has no slowdown on an Dual-Core system with 8 GB RAM and Windows 8.1/10 Dual-Boot.

S

starchild76

you should ad realtime protection , atleast turn on defender. anything could slip by this kind of setup right now , eather you are very brave to keep this going or very naive thinking you could not get infected , by just not opening certain files. there is more to it than that by itselfs , and it does not matter if you have advanced knowledge or not. antivirus is a must , but what ever cranks your tractor I guess...

Reactions: david8 and LabZero

david8

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2015
All good but i have some doubt on the fact that you do not want to use a real time antivirus, why should drain the battery ?
In addition, the malware can also enter only by visiting a infected page and you can't stay always attentive.
If you were infected by a Ransomware in just a few minutes your data would be permanently encrypted .

Thanks in advance, but: I block ads and I'm using WOT, so there is low chance of this PLUS HMP.Alert has Exploit Mitigation.
Of course, Cryptoransom is one of the worst malwares, but HMP.Alert has CryptoGuard. However, signatures are ineffective against this ever-changing type of malware.

you should ad realtime protection , atleast turn on defender. anything could slip by this kind of setup right now , eather you are very brave to keep this going or very naive thinking you could not get infected , by just not opening certain files. there is more to it than that by itselfs , and it does not matter if you have advanced knowledge or not. antivirus is a must , but what ever cranks your tractor I guess...
I use on-demand scanners daily. What's the difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

starchild76

did you pay for hmp alert , as you might know in the lastest version all these extra's are in the paid version only.

Reactions: LabZero

david8

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2015
Very good and strong config. If you don't have https everywhere install it. It's great addon :)
I just installed HTTPS Everywhere, thanks :)

did you pay for hmp alert , as you might know in the lastest version all these extra's are in the paid version only.

I'm using the trial, and I really like it, so I'm probably going to buy it

Last edited by a moderator:
S

starchild76

Thanks in advance, but: I block ads and I'm using WOT, so there is low chance of this PLUS HMP.Alert has Exploit Mitigation.
Of course, Cryptoransom is one of the worst malwares, but HMP.Alert has CryptoGuard. However, signatures are ineffective against this ever-changing type of malware.

a good behaviour blocker , hips and a sandbox ( permenantly activated ) may stop a great deal of trouble , or toolwiz timefreez or shadow defender is good solution also.

Reactions: LabZero and david8

david8

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2015
a good behaviour blocker , hips and a sandbox ( permenantly activated ) may stop a great deal of trouble , or toolwiz timefreez or shadow defender is good solution also.
Thanks for recommendations, I use Sandboxie for suspicious files.
Maybe I'll try something, but I hate all the popups

S

starchild76

Thanks for recommendations, I use Sandboxie for suspicious files.
Maybe I'll try something, but I hate all the popups

you are right , most of these aplication are very talk happy and that is beaucoup annoying! If you want to pay just get shadow defender , if you would ask here on mt most members will advise you this :) just enter shadow mode and do anything you wish get your self infected or some other damage and on reboot , your computer will be in a clean state again

Reactions: david8 and LabZero

david8

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2015
you are right , most of these aplication are very talk happy and that is beaucoup annoying! If you want to pay just get shadow defender , if you would ask here on mt most members will advise you this :) just enter shadow mode and do anything you wish get your self infected or some other damage and on reboot , your computer will be in a clean state again

WOW, Shadow Defender looks great! But it isn't cheap and now I'm using Macrium Reflect for full backup. I've separated data and OS partitions, so using this isn't such a problem

Reactions: starchild76
S

starchild76

WOW, Shadow Defender looks great! But it isn't cheap and now I'm using Macrium Reflect for full backup. I've separated data and OS partitions, so using this isn't such a problem

check PM : )and good backup is always good to have , I always prefer an external drive over separate drive partions...

Reactions: david8

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Windows 8.1 built in security is fine as long as you are using common sense while online.No infections in over a year means you are doing something right!!
I might consider a 2nd browser such as Chrome
Also CCleaner or Privazer if not already installed
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
not use an active antivirus is a bit dangerous but if you are an expert should know defend yourself well.
good config.
but if you would like to have premium malwarebytes contact me.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Expert :)

Well I can recommend to try a bit to your experiment on hardening tools like adding Appguard or Voodoshield as whitelist/blacklist alongside to your Hitman Pro.Alert

Sometimes if a user is really an experience in those configuration then no issues must be raised but turning up Windows Defender is really a must as your backup protection. ;)

david8

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2015
Thank you for your responses, Voodooshield looks good, I'll test it.
HMP.Alert 3 is really effective against cryptomalware, much more effective than regular antivirus IMO.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.