decent disk imaging/backup and restore software

lumino

Thread author
Feb 21, 2014
I'm looking for a disk imaging software for windows 8.1 and a backup and restore solution to backup my files regulary.

Shaun

Level 2
Verified
Feb 17, 2014
Driveimage XML?

I use it all the time both for work and personal use.

Addition: It is free, more or less has a wizard and you can check your image with the program and browse through the image.

Last edited:

SifhX

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2014
Aomei Backupper

I use it on windows 8.1 , very good and simple to use, its also free

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Paragon BackUp & Recovery Free
EASEUS Todo Backup Free
AOMEI Backupper

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
For something that can be this important, I prefer products that have been around for quite a while and have a large user base. Namely Acronis TrueImage, Symantec System Recovery (formerly Ghost), and Macrium Reflect.

jelson

Level 2
Jun 14, 2011
Acronis is bloated and often buggy. I'd advise staying away from it. In recent years they have been so many complaints and unanswered requests for help, they've been deleting posts on their forum.

Haven't used Macrium Reflect in awhile, BUT a lot of folks who post a lot in the imaging forums at WildersSecurity give it high marks. Also, there's a free version that lacks incremental & differential imaging.

There's also Image for Windows which also gets high marks for extreme reliability, but is geared toward the sophisticated user who likes and wants lots of controls and technical options.

And finally there's ShadowProtect Desktop: extreme reliable imaging program with enterprise level features, but expensive and uses hardware activation.

Most imaging programs will also backup files & folders in addition to drives & partitions. However, they do create a single image file. You might consider using synch programs as well to backup data files. I've already posted some suggestions with links in this post.

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Regarding Acronis, I really can't understand all the bloated comments that are made about it. There are indeed 3 services that are installed with it; all one has to do is set them to Manual and nothing starts with Windows if that is the users preference.

But your point about an application, especially one potentially so critical, is well taken. Although I have been using Acronis for over 5 years without issue this is no surety that it won't mess up in the future; so I actually use all 3 of the applications I mentioned above on an alternating basis. I guess it really comes down to how much a person values existing data (and how anal they are).

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
  1. Never keep important data on only one place
  2. Never store important data on partition where your system is installed
  3. If you store your important data on some cloud services keep it encrypted
There are several scenarios of loosing your data :
  • deletion by accident
  • infection by malware
  • hardware or software failure
So, if your Windows or other OS is updated regularly, your antivirus is updated regularly, your habits with browsing and installing are safe and cautious you will be safe from malware infection (some ransomware, cryptolocker or similar that can destroy your data...)
Piriform Recuva can save you from accident deletion of files.
For your data (music/photo/documents/movies...) the most safe way is to keep them on external HDD and if not on some cloud service.
Backup-ing data and store them on the same hardware is not logical in some cases. Acronis, Macrium, Paragon, EASEUS... may say different but it is. Why installing some backup solution to keep choking your resources with several processes running in the background when Windows File History is good solution for that stuff also, and it comes preinstalled with Windows (8 and 8.1).

So, if you do a backup, I recommend you to do a "cold backup". To create bootable CD/USB of backup solution that you prefer and choose and do all backuping-restoring outside of Windows. And, of course, store it on some USB flash drive or externall HDD It's lot faster and safer and if some software failure occurs (system brake, wont boot, wrong update...) you can restore your system in minutes (~10-15min.) And use it once a month or often, which way you suit the most.

Hardware failure is just a different story :)

lumino

Thread author
Feb 21, 2014
I'm actually very confused now, everybody is recommending different softwares.. I'm not sure which one to use.. im looking for simplicity and reliability.

Reactions: Ink

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Try Macrium Reflect Free first. Big user base and no one really has any complaints about it. It's not as full featured as others (the free version, anyway), but perhaps you don't need adavanced things.

Free and easy (just like my younger sister).

Reactions: jelson

SifhX

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2014
I'm actually very confused now, everybody is recommending different softwares.. I'm not sure which one to use.. im looking for simplicity and reliability.

As I said above, AOMEI Backupper is what you are looking for ..

I used a lot of backup softwares like True image, Norton, etc ..... all of these installed additional component that slowed my computer. If you use your computer for work and gaming , better use something lighter

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012

You're spoilt for choice :p

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Or Cobian Backup. Very powerful too, yet still simple, working, no-nonsense stuff.

jelson

Level 2
Jun 14, 2011
But your point about an application, especially one potentially so critical, is well taken. Although I have been using Acronis for over 5 years without issue this is no surety that it won't mess up in the future; so I actually use all 3 of the applications I mentioned above on an alternating basis. I guess it really comes down to how much a person values existing data (and how anal they are).

I've never experienced a problem either, but then I only trust Acronis for cold-imaging; I don't install it. My main complaint is the large number of serious bugs that tend to only get handled after in final updates of a major version.

I second cruelsister's recommendation for you: Macrium Reflect Free

Simple, reliable, lots of support and there's a free version!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
why a 3rd party one when Win8 Built-in is good enough?

I had the same thought process. Could we say we're becoming dependent (and lazy) on Windows, OR is Windows actually improving in terms of providing useful recovery features? :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.