Serious Discussion Deep Instinct | Deep Learning AI Cybersecurity Platform

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
Deep instinct constantly beats or equals top-level performers such as harmony. and it isnt even a full antivirus.. just ngav. And it has the best script blocking in ANY ngav ive seen.
I like CheckPoint Harmony more. DI false positived 10+ times on my system, Harmony has only False Positived once. However, due to DI's aggressiveness, you can probably configure it to block basically all malware.

Reactions: Dave Russo

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
And with Check Point Application Control this time so they are equal with DI maxed.
I'd say there on a equal level already. DI will flag more things and detect more if maxed, but it will FP TONS. CheckPoint also has Phishing Protection and Threat Emulation, DI does not.

Reactions: Dave Russo

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I'd say there on a equal level already. DI will flag more things and detect more if maxed, but it will FP TONS. CheckPoint also has Phishing Protection and Threat Emulation, DI does not.
Fair call that it doesn't offer phishing protection which definitely is a downside, but idc that it doesn't have fancy features like Threat Emulation as long as the malware is blocked. Would love to try CheckPoint too one day, but I will stick with Deep Instinct as it's just running so smoothly for me.

• Hundred Points
Reactions: simmerskool

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I must have (or maintain) a really clean system :unsure::whistle:as I had one false+ on win10 with DeepInstinct in +164 days. And that Di block was understood after the fact and reasonable imo. Di is running on my Host and Checkpoint Harmony on the Guest VM I run 98.5% of the time.

Reactions: Trident

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
SO rn im using deepinstinct alone with no secure dns. I will use quad9 ,but for some reason links from openphish never get blocked by it.. like 1 will
And i want to use a firewall which one?
fwiw, I'd stick with windows firewall, perhaps with one of Andy Ful's tools to harden the firewall...

Reactions: Kongo

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
checkpoint has a bit more technologies including signatures, comes at the cost of performance since it made my system so slow after
fwiw, I run Checkpoint in VMware win10 Guest and only time I see any slowdown is when it is analyzing a downloading file in its cloud in real time and I am more than ok with that.

Reactions: Trident

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023
ive used S1, elastic, checkpoint, kaspersky, bitdefender gravityzone, apex one, cortex xdr. and malwarebytes edr. Only harmony or cortex can compare

yeah true, theres no phishing or quarantine in the UI, it is very simple
Does Cortex have a free trial? It looks interesting.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello :)

As a DeepInstinct user, I'm here to give you my full opinion. It was installed on 2 PCs (now 1).

Installation :

Installation is very simple. You give the console server, the token and it installs.

Protection:

This is a strong point and a weak point....
In terms of protection, DeepInstinct is for me the best. Having it on my crash-test PC, DeepInstinct always detected and blocked the threats I submitted to it. When some of them tried to install themselves, Deep blocked them in the AppData, and the PC was always clean.
But, on my personal PC, Deep also annoyed me... And here's the kicker:

False positives! I had several.
Mostly on games (Star Citizen, Genshin Impact, Fortnite, Overwatch 2, Valorant, XDefiant) .
DeepInstinct detected Star Citizen, Genshin Impact, XDefiant and Fortnite as Trojan.... wtf?
The others were detected via the behavioral module...

When I got fed up with it, during the Filmora update, it destroyed several configuration files because the AI detected them as PUPs! Had to uninstall / reinstall Filmora with complete reconfiguration....

On my personal PC, I ended up uninstalling it and reverting to my previous antivirus. But I keep it on my crash-test PC because that's where I have fun with malware.

Xeno1234

Level 14
Jun 12, 2023

As a DeepInstinct user, I'm here to give you my full opinion. It was installed on 2 PCs (now 1).

Installation :

Installation is very simple. You give the console server, the token and it installs.

Protection:

In terms of protection, DeepInstinct is for me the best. Having it on my crash-test PC, DeepInstinct always detected and blocked the threats I submitted to it. When some of them tried to install themselves, Deep blocked them in the AppData, and the PC was always clean.

Mostly on games (Star Citizen, Genshin Impact, Fortnite, Overwatch 2, Valorant, XDefiant) .
DeepInstinct detected Star Citizen, Genshin Impact, XDefiant and Fortnite as Trojan.... wtf?

When I got fed up with it, during the Filmora update, it destroyed several configuration files because the AI detected them as PUPs! Had to uninstall / reinstall Filmora with complete reconfiguration....

On my personal PC, I ended up uninstalling it and reverting to my previous antivirus. But I keep it on my crash-test PC because that's where I have fun with malware.
For me, as a person who uses my own PC basically only for gaming, DI really wont be for me.
There are other solutions like Checkpoint, Kaspersky, or ESET that provide good protection without flagging every game you own. I installed DI myself and it false positived, flagging some of my security tools along with Fall Guys and part of Xbox Game Bar.
I think DI is good in terms of protection, and although it was bypassed on this forum once by a stealer Kaspersky detected, one malware shouldnt deter you from a product.

If you need security, go with this. Otherwise, go for a more "polished" and accurate solution instead.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017

Installation :

Protection:

Relatable opinion. If you don't install new software regularly it will suit u well. If you install software on a daily/weekly basis, it can be pretty annoying. But one thing I need to mention: Deep Instinct always restores files from the quarantine if they get a "safe" determination after a few days. And you will get a popup to notify you, that the file got restored. Happened multiple times to me.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

In terms of protection, DeepInstinct is for me the best.
fwiw I said it before and I'll probably say it again, happy to report that on my win10 hardware pc running DeepInstinct** +191 days and counting, 1 false positive, but I don't run games, and 99% of online is done in VMware running VM of the day with each VM having different malware security. For me, VS/CL and Di "seem" incompatible which may or may not be a 2d false positive, but haven't figured why, so Di is solo primary on real win10 with Defender in background. The original FP was a "block" that was fixed with a tweak to Di management console. I suppose if I was running pc harder, I'd have more FP :unsure:
(PS I also have Di on a VM, but don't run it very often -- but I could)
** Di graciously configured with help of @Kongo & @Trident, and tech at reseller cyberforce. (@Shadowra provided some insight into VMware) Thanks again... :D

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021

I don't really agree with him.

DeepInstinct has been configured to detect high-risk threats... I've seen DI block medium- and low-risk malware because it thought they were PUPs... so its setting needs to be reviewed for me.

Bombarding the VM with a Bat or Python script is useless, as the interceptor won't have the time to process everything (this is often the case with Malwarebytes and especially DI).

Testing phishing with DI when it has no Web filtering is useless.

And finally, it uses Hitman pro, which is not at all revealing, given that it has used attack in VBS or Macron in XLS...

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I don't really agree with him.

DeepInstinct has been configured to detect high-risk threats... I've seen DI block medium- and low-risk malware because it thought they were PUPs... so its setting needs to be reviewed for me.

Bombarding the VM with a Bat or Python script is useless, as the interceptor won't have the time to process everything (this is often the case with Malwarebytes and especially DI).

Testing phishing with DI when it has no Web filtering is useless.

And finally, it uses Hitman pro, which is not at all revealing, given that it has used attack in VBS or Macron in XLS...
I need to defend him in one point tho. He cofigured Deep Instinct in the way to block low-level threats and above, but when he disabled the protection for a minute, it was reset and he didn't seem to notice. Happened to me too.

In terms of web-protection I agree with you. Deep Instinct failed in the phishing test, as it doesn't have any web-protection. But saying that Malwarebytes wins in the malware web-protection test just because it blocks the website itself, simply isn't true. Deep Instinct blocked all the downloads equally. So it should be a draw.

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022
Malwarebytes have been working hard on improvements to detection lately and don't forget that it was said that a new detection feature will be implemented after the general release of 5.0. Also if he had browser guard installed it may have blocked those missed sites as it's more aggressive.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.