Serious Discussion Deep Instinct | Deep Learning AI Cybersecurity Platform

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

@Kongo thanks for finding this test: for me -- I thought the video's production less than good, screen background was too "busy", too long at 29 min so I skipped about 15 min in the middle, not the easiest accent to understand, I tend to be a visual learner, he went way too fast with many screens not explaining the settings, and no text to read (visual learning aid) just the drone of his barely understandable voice. First I've heard of ThreatDown so very helpful in that regard, apparently DeepInstinct did not do so well in web protection (I think that's what I heard)...
If I missed something, please advise. PS I posted this before I read the comments of others more experienced than I (me).

Question for users of DeepInstinct, what if anything do you run with it for web protection? Browser extensions, if so, which ones. I've been running DeepInstinct 7+ months on the hardware win10, with mbam browser guard. At first I tried running VS/CyberLock with it, but had an issue with communication block with DeepInstinct management portal, so removed CL.
Even though I was not a big fan of this video, big thanks to Kongo for posting it.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
@Kongo thanks for finding this test: for me -- I thought the video's production less than good, screen background was too "busy", too long at 29 min so I skipped about 15 min in the middle, not the easiest accent to understand, I tend to be a visual learner, he went way too fast with many screens not explaining the settings, and no text to read (visual learning aid) just the drone of his barely understandable voice. First I've heard of ThreatDown so very helpful in that regard, apparently DeepInstinct did not do so well in web protection (I think that's what I heard)...
If I missed something, please advise. PS I posted this before I read the comments of others more experienced than I (me).

Question for users of DeepInstinct, what if anything do you run with it for web protection? Browser extensions, if so, which ones. I've been running DeepInstinct 7+ months on the hardware win10, with mbam browser guard. At first I tried running VS/CyberLock with it, but had an issue with communication block with DeepInstinct management portal, so removed CL.
Even though I was not a big fan of this video, big thanks to Kongo for posting it.
On Chromium-based browsers I'd definitely pick SafeToOpen Browser extension + NextDNS for web-protection. On Gecko-based browsers I'd choose Netcraft + NextDNS

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
@Kongo thanks for finding this test: for me -- I thought the video's production less than good, screen background was too "busy", too long at 29 min so I skipped about 15 min in the middle, not the easiest accent to understand, I tend to be a visual learner, he went way too fast with many screens not explaining the settings, and no text to read (visual learning aid) just the drone of his barely understandable voice.
I
This is why I don't watch these videos, I don't need to watch a 20 minute video of products blocking something, just give me a summary at the end showing how the products did. Or better yet, a summary page separate from the video.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
This is why I don't watch these videos, I don't need to watch a 20 minute video of products blocking something, just give me a summary at the end showing how the products did. Or better yet, a summary page separate from the video.
I watched it only because DeepInstinct is my primary & only av on my hardware pc, and posted by @Kongo who was helpful guru in setting up DeepInstinct (along with a few others here)
PS I got an email christmas card from cyberforce (DeepInstinct provider) -- looked more like scamy malware :ROFLMAO: ho ho ho :D

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@Shadowra IIRC you run DeepInstinct with VS/CyberLock, correct? Can we PM about this? I can't find solution to my issue, Dan did not see it in my CL logs, and Cyberforce says just don't run CL with DeepInstinct... Please advise. Know you've been under the weather, so no pressure. 🥺

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
@Shadowra IIRC you run DeepInstinct with VS/CyberLock, correct? Can we PM about this? I can't find solution to my issue, Dan did not see it in my CL logs, and Cyberforce says just don't run CL with DeepInstinct... Please advise. Know you've been under the weather, so no pressure. 🥺

I can confirm that CL works correctly with DeepInstinct :)

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
...works for YOU :whistle: I can confirm that with CL installed communication between DeepInstinct on pc & it management portal was blocked... Seen also by Cyberforce tech but without solution other than uninstall CL :( ... perhaps related to CL_WLC firewall block...?? a project for the holidays...

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@Shadowra update to above: took plunge and reinstalled VS/CL on hardware win10 with DeepInstinct. Nothing "broken" so far :rolleyes: I turned OFF WLC since it has a firewall element to it and set CL Autopilot / moderate for now. Also I think new Windows Sandbox feature is working, or rather it did NOT alert that it was off or needed to be setup. So far so good... :D:cautious:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
UPDATE (23 Dec) I have VS/CL 7.64 running with DeepInstinct on both hardware win10 & on a win10_vm. No problems so far :D One difference is that 7 months ago, IIRC, I deployed Di on win10 that was already running CL, and I probably had CL in Smart / aggressive & also running WLC with its firewall blocking. Currently, DeepInstict was running on win10 and then installed CL and set it to Autopilot / relaxed & without WLC so it can learn the machine. (saw that setting suggestion in older VS manual) Also the Cyberforce tech recalled the incident from 7 months ago, and said that the connection between my pc and cloud portal was not blocked, they saw connection, but what was blocked was Di update installation on my win10 that the Di portal sent. Back then, uninstalling CL "fixed" that, but no one was able to confirm that CL was the problem, it just seemed like the problem. ALL GOOD FOR NOW.
enjoy happiness & good health!!

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
Hello :)

As a DeepInstinct user, I'm here to give you my full opinion. It was installed on 2 PCs (now 1).

Installation :

Installation is very simple. You give the console server, the token and it installs.

Protection:

This is a strong point and a weak point....
In terms of protection, DeepInstinct is for me the best. Having it on my crash-test PC, DeepInstinct always detected and blocked the threats I submitted to it. When some of them tried to install themselves, Deep blocked them in the AppData, and the PC was always clean.
But, on my personal PC, Deep also annoyed me... And here's the kicker:

False positives! I had several.
Mostly on games (Star Citizen, Genshin Impact, Fortnite, Overwatch 2, Valorant, XDefiant) .
DeepInstinct detected Star Citizen, Genshin Impact, XDefiant and Fortnite as Trojan.... wtf?
The others were detected via the behavioral module...

When I got fed up with it, during the Filmora update, it destroyed several configuration files because the AI detected them as PUPs! Had to uninstall / reinstall Filmora with complete reconfiguration....

On my personal PC, I ended up uninstalling it and reverting to my previous antivirus. But I keep it on my crash-test PC because that's where I have fun with malware.
And what do all of those games have in common with remote access trojans especially if the update file is new and not many folks are using that style of AV on non gaming pcs? You might be the first person submitting the new file version with a capabilities to listen to keystrokes, send parameters of coursor location and all the data gathered from your system is actually sent fully online. Just file transfer get to transfer files and not just the extra data.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Overnight, I see that Deepinstinct auto-updated here to version 5.0.0.11 -- Deepinstinct very smooth here, have had only 1 false+ in 271 days and that was an understandable dll catch, but then again I make few changes to this hardware pc, and day to day I'm mostly in VMware...
Thanks for the heads up! Still wondering where I can get any patchnotes for Deep Instinct tho

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Thanks for the heads up! Still wondering where I can get any patchnotes for Deep Instinct tho
@Kongo & @Shadowra, my reseller just emailed me a pdf for DeepInstinct v5. looks like it's 46 pages, so more than typical version history update. Correct me if I'm wrong but I can't post it here or make it available at MT correct. I can see about make it available online somewhere. Let me know any suggestions. I do not have a link for where it came from. DeepInstinct may have it on their website, since it seems more like a manual than a version update.

Kongo

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Also noticed a new kind of detection in the new version:

Screenshot 2024-02-13 200708.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.