Watch movies and other video content on the Internet
Download files from different sources
Office and work related tasks
Computer Specifications
DELL Chromebook 7310

DeepWeb

Level 22
Verified

As some of you might know I bought a Chromebook because I wanted to structure my entire security around the hardware. Chrome OS was the way to go because:
-It's very cheap (bought this Chromebook for $90! Sheesh!)
-Every process is sandboxed
-Verified boot checks all the signed code
-Automated backup and sync
-ARM chip makes me incompatible with almost all malware written for x86 CPUs
-This particular CPU is immune to Spectre/Meltdown as well
-LTE gives me Internet wherever I am
-TPM chip and full disk encryption
-Google Project Zero is providing security updates, one of the best security teams in the world.

Cons:
-Not fast enough for true gaming, video editing, heavy unoptimized websites
-No backlit keyboard unlike my laptop and I miss it especially when you're not in a well lit area.
-I found out that the LTE modem is made by Huawei........ Anyway... :notworthy: make sure you check the hardware parts. At least it's not Intel.

Last edited:

Vasudev

Level 27
Verified

As some of you might know I bought a Chromebook because I wanted to structure my entire security around the hardware. Chrome OS was the way to go because:
-It's very cheap (bought this Chromebook for INR 6,440! Sheesh!)
-Every process is sandboxed
-Verified boot checks all the signed code
-Automated backup and sync
-ARM chip makes me incompatible with almost all malware written for x86 CPUs
-This particular CPU is immune to Spectre/Meltdown as well
-LTE gives me Internet wherever I am
-TPM chip and full disk encryption
-Google Project Zero is providing security updates, one of the best security teams in the world.

Cons:
-Not fast enough for true gaming, video editing, heavy unoptimized websites
-No backlit keyboard unlike my laptop and I miss it especially when you're not in a well lit area.
-I found out that the LTE modem is made by Huawei........ Anyway... :notworthy: make sure you check the hardware parts. At least it's not Intel.
With Intel you'll have same features as Huawei LTE along with Intel MEI for best security.

Slyguy

Level 40
Nice setup. It's getting hard to avoid Intel, but the good part is, Chromebooks are quite well hardened now against Spectre/Meltdown, even with Intel chips due to proactive patching by Google. I myself use a Chromebook as my 'daily driver' and the ONLY notebooks that ever leave my home are all Chromebooks because I want a secured platform when I am mobile.

One of the better 'cheap' Chromebooks I have found is the HP 14-CA052WM.. You can snag it got $150 or so refurb, and it's really good, has a touch screen, 1080P resolution, and is well built. It does have Intel, but has been fully mitigated against all variants of Meltdown/Spectre if I recall my notes on it.

My inlaws are potatoes that click on everything, and I can't convince them to go Chromebook.. <sigh>

Slyguy

Level 40
Am I the only one that finds it a little ironic that Chromebooks only achieve Secure: Basic? Aren't they kind of Secure: Complete right out of the box? LOL. It just seems a little odd to me. I'll survive, I'm just saying.
At this point, they are one of, it not the most secure notebooks available. The only established vectors of attack are bad chrome extensions and bad android apps. If you don't install android apps, and don't use junk extensions, then your threat surface is effectively zero. So yes, currently, they're the most secure out of the box, generally available notebooks in the world.

DeepWeb

Level 22
Verified
Honestly switching between my Chromebook and Windows laptop, it's irritating how many issues I am dealing with on my Windows device and how I have to battle my AV to install anything, and all the driver issues. So many small bugs but they all add up to one big annoyance. Meanwhile my Chromebook just works. The small ARM CPU is far slower but Chrome OS is so well optimized that daily usage is smooth. My stress level browsing has dropped significantly and LTE ensures I am always connected.

Vasudev

Level 27
Verified
Honestly switching between my Chromebook and Windows laptop, it's irritating how many issues I am dealing with on my Windows device and how I have to battle my AV to install anything, and all the driver issues. So many small bugs but they all add up to one big annoyance. Meanwhile my Chromebook just works. The small ARM CPU is far slower but Chrome OS is so well optimized that daily usage is smooth. My stress level browsing has dropped significantly and LTE ensures I am always connected.
Try linux. Now you can undervolt in Linux too.

dash

Level 3
How about a shout out to how easy it was to pick up right where you left off on the old Chromebook lol..

Reactions: DeepWeb

DeepWeb

Level 22
Verified
Do you mind saying how much $$ to upgrade? :)
Found used in great condition on ebay for $150. The matte 1080p IPS display and backlit keyboard alone are a massive upgrade. The CPU is actually a Broadwell CPU. I don't know why Intel uses such confusing numbering for mobile CPUs. It's fast and with a few chrome flags tweaks it's blazing.

How about a shout out to how easy it was to pick up right where you left off on the old Chromebook lol..
Yes indeed. 2 min setup and I was back to where I was originally. But I wish it synced my Chrome flags and my wallpaper as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vasudev and dash