Serious Discussion DefenderUI : Ransomware protection?

sypqys

Level 3
Thread author
Apr 18, 2022
Hello

I'm lost ... Which app to exclude and which folders to protect?
What's the difference between "Audit Only" and "BDMO"?

ScreenWings_CHZN1W4rNT.png

I'm living in french and I use french language... but not here... I try to be understandable...

Thanks

Reactions: Dave Russo

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello,

I understand that you are looking for guidance on which apps to exclude and which folders to protect in the DefenderUI ransomware protection settings. Additionally, you would like to know the difference between "Audit Only" and "BDMO" options.

When it comes to excluding apps, it is generally recommended to exclude any trusted applications that you do not want to be monitored by the ransomware protection feature. This could include antivirus software, backup tools, or any other applications that may interfere with the normal operation of the ransomware protection.

On the other hand, protecting folders means that the ransomware protection feature will actively monitor and protect the specified folders from any unauthorized modifications or encryption attempts by ransomware. It is advisable to select folders that contain important files or sensitive data that you want to safeguard against ransomware attacks.

Now, let's discuss the difference between "Audit Only" and "BDMO" options:

1. Audit Only: When this option is selected, the ransomware protection feature will only monitor and log any suspicious activity related to ransomware. It will not actively block or prevent any actions taken by ransomware. This mode is useful for analyzing potential ransomware threats without interfering with the normal operation of your system.

2. BDMO (Block, Delete, Move, and Overwrite): This option provides more aggressive protection against ransomware. When enabled, the ransomware protection feature will actively block any suspicious activity and attempt to delete, move, or overwrite the malicious files to prevent further damage. It is recommended to use this mode for maximum protection against ransomware attacks.

I hope this clarifies the options and helps you make the appropriate choices for your system. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

Reactions: ErzCrz and sypqys

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.