Delete files from Full System Image - Paragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

Thread author
Ok heres the current scenario:

Due to unforeseen circunstances, I am unable to simply boot my system. No problem here.

Now I got full disk image I made back in late 2011 using Paragon backup and recovery free 2011.

Restoring such image will take me 2 hours 15 mins. Only problem is that some stuff there are no longer relevant.

Is there a way I can "extract" the files/folders I dont want from that backup to delete, making the full system image smaller?

Worse case scenario: Install Win 7 from fresh/restore factory OS/restore 2011 image of my OS which is updated but then I need to delete/remove quite some stuff.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Biozfear said:
Worse case scenario: Install Win 7 from fresh/restore factory OS/restore 2011 image of my OS which is updated but then I need to delete/remove quite some stuff.

it is why i love Rollback RX :p

more seriously, you should go for a fresh install, then after all updates/tweaking/optimizations/defrag/cleaning/slimming of Win7, you will have a lighter OS ready to be backed up by Paragon (or snapshoted by RX, if you have it) . Then after you can install your favorite apps then do a second backup/snapshot.

P

Plexx

Thread author
Umbra Corp. said:
it is why i love Rollback RX :p

more seriously, you should go for a fresh install, then after all updates/tweaking/optimizations/defrag/cleaning/slimming of Win7, you will have a lighter OS ready to be backed up by Paragon (or snapshoted by RX, if you have it) . Then after you can install your favorite apps then do a second backup/snapshot.

Forgot to give some details:

Restore factory OS then update everything else: 2 hours and a half operation

Restore 2011 image (full system): 2 hours 15 mins. Then I need additional 30 mins to copy AION game folder and some updated backup stuff.

Install Win 7 from fresh, then update, do image, install software, copy stuff : 6 hours operation.

Now I have 2 issues: Time is one, the other is the fact that my External Hard drive at my disposal has a big size of full system image (250GB) due to crap that I didn't remove initially.

That is why if I could find a way to Edit the image I could delete the old stuff.

I can explore the backup with Paragon UI but can't figure it out if I can delete or not...

P

Plexx

Thread author
Ok got a reply from someone from Paragon at least from what I understand at wilders:

My question about editing the full backup is not possible.

Oh well. Will just have to dedicate the time now. :(

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Do as i said, you will spend lot of time today, but will gain 10 times later ;)

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
I suppose you can EDIT the backup in full version
this feature is not available in free version i suppose
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/comparison.html

P

Plexx

Thread author
Which feature loveboy? They said the backup is on read only access.

starting all over again is going to be a pain to say the least.

Currently restoring the original backup to check something first before I attempt tomorrow the whole operation.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Sorry Bioz i checked the whole manual for paragon and searched every where on the internet but could not find a way to delete files inside backup created by paragon (since the backup created are on read only mode)

But maybe you could try using 7zip or peazip to edit the files inside the backup (not sure though if it work or not since it could corrupt the backup so try at your own risk)

My suggesstion at this point would be either go from start with clean install ( and watch a movie or two) or restore your backup and remove unwanted things

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
By the way there is another way to create recovery which is fast and would save you a lot of time once it is created but will take some of your time if you are interested check Here
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/21978-Windows-7-OEM-Recovery-Partition-tools-creator-Free

P

Plexx

Thread author
No problem loveboy. Thanks for the help.

I just finished restoring my 2011 backup. That would do for next few days. Back to good old 90 processes, outdated software everywhere, irrelevant games folders and installers which I don't need anymore, the list goes on.

One thing I did notice was before after tweaking the services, whenever you insert a removable drive, I had no longer the option to eject (right click or left click would do nothing).

It must be one of the services perhaps. Not sure. Don't even feel like going through the services list at all.

I could reset to factory OS since I never deleted the hidden partition. But then I still need to spend quite some time updating, copying, installing.

By restoring the paragon image at least I am sort of 60% done. Tomorrow I will get a ExHDD since I rather have one copy of the backup just for an emergency!

Then is removing most of the dell stuff (keeping data safe and the webcam and quickset stuff only), clean up the files that came with the backup and then do a new backup.

Looks like my Dr Web test will be postponed until I have everything up and running.

On a side note: With ESET on, 92 processes including chrome with 2 tabs opened and everything running, im using 30% memory. Before with Chrome I was on 22 to 25% ram and about 60 processes.

Might just disable the safest services (network sharing, print spoof and remote ones).

P

Plexx

Thread author
@Umbra: what version of rollback do you use? Also, http://www.horizondatasys.com/446764.ihtml <-- this is the site right? $69 will be for one single pc license.

I do remember you saying install rollback first and then a backup solution correct?

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Biozfear said:
@Umbra: what version of rollback do you use? Also, http://www.horizondatasys.com/446764.ihtml <-- this is the site right? $69 will be for one single pc license.

I do remember you saying install rollback first and then a backup solution correct?

Not sure abut that but this is the main site http://www.rollbacksoftware.com/

P

Plexx

Thread author
Cool. Might invest on it but I sure hope having the Hidden partition and the dell data safe (offline one installed) won't cause problems... Better look for some vids and guides while i got nothing else to do at the moment.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Biozfear said:

Nope, Backup first all you need then install RX, it will create automatically a baseline snapshot.

Imaging soft like Paragon or Acronis will install drivers conflicting with RX, unless you use their Boot CD and doing a sector-by-sector backup, but useless because the backup will be huge because RX snapshots.

P

Plexx

Thread author
Got it. So I will do the backup first and then install RX.

This is going to be a few days operation.

Oh well at least I get to have an updated Image, once I buy the ExHDD.

On a side note: Rollback stock settings will be just fine correct?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
No, you must select custom settings unless you like to take a snapshot at every boot :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.