Dell XPS 15 (9570) Review: Same Beauty, Even More Beast

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
The base $999 model comes with Intel HD Graphics 630, but upgraded models like our test unit come with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Graphics with 4GB of GDDR5 memory. That's comparable to the AMD Radeon RX Vega M GL graphics with 4GB of HBM2 memory found in the convertible Dell XPS 15 2-in-1. All-in-all, this is a decent upgrade from the GTX 1050 and GTX 960M graphics we've seen in previous iterations of Dell's flagship 15" laptop

I own one. It's nice, but not worth the $2000 for the i7 16 GB RAM 256 GB SSD version that they're charging now. For the same amount you used to get a 512 GB SSD.

4K is huge waste of money since a user is absolutely sure to run into seriously annoying scaling issues. 4K for gaming is a waste. The Alienware FullHD systems are much better suited to gaming.

Professional photographers love the 4K screen, but their editing and other softs don't scale properly at that resolution. So, the $300 upcharge for the 4K screen is a waste of money.

Plus, wow, looks like you cannot even specify your own hardware configuration; it is off-the-shelf only. Mine has the 512 GB Samsung SSD. They don't offer it any longer.

I got mine for $600 less because of two white pixels and screen bleed via Dell Outlet.

Last edited by a moderator:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Keyboard is terrible, a 1050ti as an upgrade from the 1050 is stupid, 4k in a small laptop screen is the worse idea ever if you want to keep being able to see.

Reactions: ZeroDay

Keyboard is terrible, a 1050ti as an upgrade from the 1050 is stupid, 4k in a small laptop screen is the worse idea ever if you want to keep being able to see.

LOL... I like the keyboard. It works for me.

I tried 4K and promptly returned it.

I like the XPS form factor, but they've got to always throw-in in dedicated graphics card... which raises the price by $300 or more. The graphics card is a waste because most people don't game seriously on these machines or play games or use softs that utilize high-demand graphics.

The vast majority of people who buy an XPS system are using it to do stuff that they can do on a $250 Chromebook. So it is really hard to justify the extra $1750 for what you get.

The best part of an XPS 15 system - on the highest end models - is the huge, 10+ hour battery. However, I get 7+ hours out of my Chromebook. The extra 3 hours is costing me at least $1,000.

I like my Dell XPS 15, but I am being honest in that it is not worth the money that I paid for it. The form factor and the long battery life are its best attributes.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
@Lockdown I hate 99.9% of keyboards so it's not surprising i don't like this either. It's better than the dell i use now if that helps :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.