Advice Request Deny all rule, only webtraffic

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

thandor_2

Thread author
Jan 29, 2021
Hello,

i want to enable only webtraffic with comodo firewall.
So i made a deny all rule (blocking all incoming and outgoing traffic).

Now i created another rule for enabling https traffic:

Start ip: adress of computer
Destination ip: any
Source port: 443
Destination port: 443

But it doesn't seem to work this way, do you have any idea?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
Hello,

Your settings seem to be a bit off. You should set the Source port to 'Any' and Destination port to '443' for outgoing HTTPS traffic. Also, ensure that the rule for HTTPS is above the deny all rule in the rules list. The firewall processes rules from top to bottom.

Azazel

Level 6
Jun 15, 2023
You should allow windows Core Networking Connections (Services) like DNS.
1715187260982.png

Azazel

Level 6
Jun 15, 2023
Hello,

Your settings seem to be a bit off. You should set the Source port to 'Any' and Destination port to '443' for outgoing HTTPS traffic. Also, ensure that the rule for HTTPS is above the deny all rule in the rules list. The firewall processes rules from top to bottom.
The bot is Correct,
set the Source port to 'Any' and Destination port to '443'

thandor_2

Thread author
Jan 29, 2021
Thank you for the explanations,

as i understood any rule which allows a connection must be above the deny rule.

I would have one more question concerning the 'deny all rule' ,
how exactly would you establish this rule in Comodo firewall?

Reactions: Trident and Jack

Biswajit poddar

May 8, 2024
Instead of a deny all rule, start with a rule that blocks all traffic except HTTPS. So, you'd create a rule that allows outgoing traffic on port 443 (HTTPS) and blocks everything else. This way, you're explicitly allowing HTTPS traffic and blocking everything else.

Make sure your rule settings are correct. Double-check that the source IP is set to the address of your computer, and the destination IP and port are set to any and 443, respectively.

After making these changes, give it a test. Try accessing a website over HTTPS and see if it works. If it's still not working, there might be some other settings or configurations that need tweaking.

Firewalls can be a bit finicky sometimes, but with a bit of patience and tinkering, you'll get it sorted out!

Let me know if you need any more help

thandor_2

Thread author
Jan 29, 2021
As you mentioned i made the following rule:

Block outgoing Traffic (TCP/UDP):

Start ip: (everything except) ip adress of Computer
Destination ip: any
Source Port: (everything except) 1025-65535
Destination Port: (everything except) 443

It seemed to work, would that be ok if i used this rule ?

Then i deleted this rule to try the other option with one rule to allow HTTPS (as mentioned in the second post)
and another rule to block all outgoing/incoming traffic (underneath the HTTPS rule).

This time it does not work, whenever i make a rule to block outgoing traffic i get no internet connection.

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
If I recall correctly, Comodo prioritizes network rules over app rules and on top of it, rules above are definite, so rules bellow are ignored.
WFC is simpler, allow rules overrule deny rules. You better ask on comodo forum. New version is coming and it should fix many issues.

• +Reputation
Reactions: thandor_2 and Jack

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.