Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
  • Backup browsers: stock, preinstalled M$ IE / Edge set to clear browser data on exit
  • Clearing TEMP folder manually
  • Thread might be updated in case i switch to another AV vendor for testing purposes
  • My main machine has the same config, however uses M$ Win 10 x64 Pro, with M$ Account
  • Suggestions are welcome :)
  • & thank you guys for reading :)
EDIT 20.01.2018:
  • HUB tests now with Quick Heal Internet Security (latest, currently v17)
  • Added AppCheck Anti-Ransomware Pro as a third layer
  • Added F-Secure Freedome VPN

Last edited:

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Nothing to add. How is AVG 2017? Wanted to test this one in my VM
Thank you :)

Do not test it that long, however before the new release on Monday, UI was quite a bit laggy, which has improved a lot! AVG can be a bit buggy sometimes (turning off Real-Time-Protection for example gave me 99+ notifications by Win10 in the right hand corner, also sometimes files were actually detected / removed and remained in the folder - which did not happen in any Vault test so far, only when I downloaded a bunch of packs and ran 20+ files in a row to stress and test Dynamic protection - all events took place inside the ShadowDefender environment).
Overall, don't expect it to prevent all malware from running in memory (it's no Anti-Exe, give it a try with some recent packs from the Vault) with only Dynamic protection, but with signatures on, it has quite been a beast (see Avast! too, AVG 2017 seems to behave almost identical to it). I'm quite impressed by the (free) product, and it's not heavy-weighted!

AVG.PNG

Last edited:

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Nice.. Why did you choose AVG and not Avast?
Avast unfortunately did not install properly on my main machine for some reason (gave me an installation error during the setup, although the UI was already there). Since I did not install it inside the SD environment and I had to use the Avast cleanup tool to get rid of the broken installation, I still get a selection screen for 5 seconds till autodecide for that cleanup tool or to boot to the "normal" Win10 installation.
I've no idea how to get rid of it, I cleared all traces of Avast I could find.
+Avast is already in use in the Vault :D
IMG_0444_.jpg

Last edited:

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Hi Der. :)

I love AVG free AV , but i don´t love this although I acknowledge his honesty to inform the user so clearly

I really like your config. Thanks for sharing! :)
I'm afraid many vendors do :/ But yes, it's very good they're that honest :) In terms of malware protection, I love the feature they submit files (or hashes?) of suspicious files which ran on the PC whenever an update is triggered.
Thank you for your positive feedback :)

Finally someone is using AVG. Nice solid setup :D
Thank you sir :)
Haven't used AVG for a long long time, cannot tell how the versions before the acquisition by Avast! were, but seems as if v2017 shares (nearly) all the cool features (and signatures) by the also Czech brother / sister :)

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Thanks for sharing :)
Perfect (anti) malware machine!
Thank you sir :)

Good config @Der.Reisende , but I would add a backup solution, such as Macrium Reflect Free or AOMEI Backupper.

Thanks for sharing.
Might consider that, thank you for both the input and your positive feedback :)

Nice config form an experienced malware tester!!!
Thanks for sharing your config with us :)
Thanks Der. for sharing your config, interesting. I have nothing to add, i quess you know very well what are you doing :) Really nice to see AVG in action , thanks again.
Very good config, just what i thought from a malware tester :)
Thanks for sharing!
It's my pleasure guys :) Thank you for the very positive feedback :)

Thank you bro for sharing your solid config and congrats ;) but no to see Emsisoft Internet Security from your list is always making me upset :(
It was once there, saying goodbye to it for some reasons not to be discussed further (for sure you already know or will find them) was quite hard back in the days, as this AV is one of the best. My mum still uses it and it serves her old and slow laptop perfectly :)
Thank you for the very positive feedback :)

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
That's a great config with necessary tools for hunting :)
+1 for GetSusp and Cent. I too use'em.
You've surely setup well as an experienced tester. Hope to see more changes coming up.
Have come across all those goodies only due to other members suggesting them :) You can learn so much from this place :)
GetSusp is a neat and fast 2nd_opinion scanner, even if it tends to flag some harmless files as unknown. Cent is lighter than Chrome but still has all it's goodies :)
Thank you :) Might be, well see :)

I don't personally like AVG but it's good to see some diversity out there.
Have been using it only for a short time now, so far I like it :) But yes, you're right :)
Thank you for your feedback :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.