Devial's Config

Devial

Thread author
Mar 6, 2011
DNS Service: Comodo Secure DNS.
Sandbox: Sandboxie.
Hostfile: Hardened.
Backup: Paragon Backup & Recovery.
VPN: Private OpenVPN and Hotspot shield.

Other:
OTL, UVK, TDDSKiller, Sanitycheck, Combofix, GMER, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Hijackthis, DDS. EMET 2.1, CCLeaner, Smart Defrag.

Updated 23-1-2012

Watasha

Feb 8, 2011
You have too much running in real time in my opinion. SAS isn't not needed alongside Avast, nor is Prevx in my opinion. I know they say you can run it alongside another AV but my question is why? There is such a thing as overkill. At the very least disable SAS's real time protection.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
ThreatFire can be removed...Avast has a behavior blocker and also Online Armor will secure you PC better then any BB.
Also go to OA settings and enable :
"Run safer unknow programs by default"
Go here and read all about "Run Safer"
51608825.png

LaserWraith

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
See this about ThreatFire: http://www.malwaretips.com/Thread-Problems-with-ThreatFire-Fireball-for-ThreatFire

It isn't the best.

Chiron

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Your setup seems secure in terms of security (except for the extra real-time programs).

Are you concerned about online privacy?
(If so see here)

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Is it Win7 SP1 or Vista SP2? A bit of overlapping since Online Armor includes Program Guard (HIPS) and Threatfire is a Behavior Blocker.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Avast and Online Armor is fine enough, just removed threatfire.

tinytankerbrunk

Mar 9, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Avast and Online Armor is fine enough, just removed threatfire.

I would also consider setting up ClearCloud DNS on your router, if not, on your machine. Also, I would remove the link checker, and WoT. If you think you're not sure about what sites to visit that are safe (none really, but more than others, like warez sites), then I would keep WoT, but it's really quite old technology.

Devial

Thread author
Mar 6, 2011
Using AVAST 6.0 + OA and i forgot to tell that i use ClearCloud DNS. How do i know if the sandbox works? (AVAST 6.0)?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well sandbox will work if a file was detected using heuristics, a popup will tell you if you will open in sandbox or not.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
As far as I know Emsisoft Antimalware and Emsisoft Emergency Kit Scanner share the same definitions. Same thing with CIS and Comodo Cleaning Essentials.

I need a backup / rollback software - you got any suggestions?
I use Disk Imaging applications. Acronis True Image WD Edition, to be exact. You can use it for free but in only works if you have a Western Digital HDD on your system. Another good free disk imaging application is Paragon Backup and Recovery (Advanced) Free. I don't have nothing against rollback software but I find disk imaging to be more reliable.

D

Deleted member 178

Free backup:

- Paragon B & R (as said bogdan)
- Easeus Todo Backup free http://www.todo-backup.com/business/free-backup.htm

both are good and free (i used both of them with a preference for Easeus)

Rollback:

- Shadow Defender (paid) http://www.shadowdefender.com/
- Returnil (free ) http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/

im using Shadow Defender

Devial

Thread author
Mar 6, 2011
Thanks guys. I'll take a look.

My old config:
in realtime:
AVAST
SAS
PREVX
THREATFIRE
OA

On demand:
MBAM
CCE

i like my new configuration better :) The old were kinda overkill in realtime.

D

Deleted member 178

overkill and ressources hog ^^

dont forget to have a look on how to configure CIS (very important )

D

Deleted member 178

that is normal if you had less means you have a configuration mistake somewhere ^^

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.