Devial's Config

D

Deleted member 178

you can compare your setting with this one: http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-install-comodo-firewall.htm

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Devial said:
Thanks guys. I'll take a look.

My old config:
in realtime:
AVAST
SAS
PREVX
THREATFIRE
OA

On demand:
MBAM
CCE

i like my new configuration better :) The old were kinda overkill in realtime.

Exactly that config was overkill you have an AV, plus a Firewall however with a BB with really overkill and not good for optimize protection.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You could drop both Emsisoft (EAM/EEK) and CCE with Hitman Pro.

If at least ComodoIS should protect your system even with a mediocre AV, but their HIPS and Sandbox should make up for that.

I

illumination

If this helps, with CIS I run it with it set to "proactive security" then once open and in firewall section, go to the stealth ports wizard,I set it to block all incoming traffic with ports all stealth.. I set the main firewall setting to custom, which gives you control over all your applications outbound connections, I also enable ipv6, and on last tab, i click protect the ARP Cache, block gratuitous ARP Frames, Do Protocol Analysis.
the sandbox i change from "partially limited" to atleast "Restricted"..
The Av scanner settings, I leave it stateful, but do adjust the manual scan by clicking the "cloud" scanning option and the "rootkit" option..
This setting is more then enough to keep a system clean. Have never had any problems like this..

D

Deleted member 178

yes i almost have the same setting than Wolf, this setting should keep you safe.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I may be wrong, but Comodo Internet Security could protect against keyloggers. :huh:

You have ZAM installing making KeyScrambler redundant.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
As James stated, your config is a little overkill, I don't think you need so many extensions for Firefox, you can keep LastPass, Adblock Plus and NoScript, but I would recommend getting rid of KeyScrambler (read storm's post above) and TrackerBlocker. I would also recommend installing Web of Trust (WOT), very useful tool for being safe. Another thing, I don't think you need so many applications, CIS is a pretty capable suite on it's own, so you can remove things like CCE and Puran Defrag (which honestly I've never heard of before).

D

Deleted member 178

agree for WOT, for CCE (and particularly Killswitch) im not sure if he has the knowledge to use it safely. Puran is a good HDD defragger, i use it now instead of Smart Defrag; he can keep it.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
Another thing I wanted to mention, HiJackThis isn't really needed for the time being and can actually be dangerous (or at least not very useful) if your not sure how to use it or identify malware on your own. Zemana Anti-Logger could also be removed, unless you do a lot of online shopping, banking and whatnot (or if you bought a license for it).

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
An alternative for HijackThis was OTL but like endejan said it can be dangerous, since it will show you good or bad files and need to identify it.

Dejan

Mar 3, 2011
jamescv7 said:
An alternative for HijackThis was OTL but like endejan said it can be dangerous, since it will show you good or bad files and need to identify it.

There's another tool I know of called DDS that provides a log file similar to HJT, but I'm not sure if there's an option to delete entries (probably there is). If your interested James, the link is here.

D

Deleted member 178

OTL is really for advanced users and IT, that are infected by really strong malware, use it with great caution.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Just use them in case of highly infection occured, if on demand scanners where fail to remove them.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How are you experiencing BitDefender TrafficLight? Did you use the Web Installer or Add-on only version?

Devial

Thread author
Mar 6, 2011
I know that OTL and DDS is for advanced users. I rarely use them - happened a few times.

I use the WebInstaller - seems very light and unremarkable :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.